Two weeks....(lockdown update?)

matt1

Visit site
We are about two weeks until the Govt give an indication as to the unlock plans for lockdown. Anyone hazzard a guess as the implications for fitting out in the spring?

I'm due to be lifted 23rd March but need to make a call soon as to whether I delay and re-schedule. No point paying for the boat to be on hardstanding but not able to do anything - and I don't fancy having to pay someone to do my antifouling (call me odd, but I quite enjoy it!)

I put in a call to some folks at one of MDL's Solent Marinas who said that whilst the yard was rammed with boats, it was only contractors working on them, not members of the public.

I guess the good news is that the RYA, MDL etc all seem to be pretty quick out the blocks with guidance whenever the Govt do change the regs so hopefully it will at least be clear.

What's the collective wisdom?

dankilb

Visit site
Hopefully at least a ‘return to boating’ as the RYA put it will come before non-essential retail and pubs etc. reopening. But those look likely to be a long way off.

Having largely ignored the science for the past year, the Govt now seem determined to hitch their wagon to an ‘elimination’ strategy - driven by the success of the vaccine (thus increasing the weight of ‘science’ in the minds of this ‘we don’t need experts’ cabinet) - which could see us locked up for some time yet IMO.

Not trying to pass judgement either way myself... but one things for sure, those of us who’ve been sensible and not contributed to the spread, but who don’t have conventional priorities (i.e. getting back to the shops), look likely to be punished for some time yet for the Govt’s horrendous failings last year.

matt1

Visit site
I'm fearing you are probably right PVB which is a shame as polishing the hull on my own outdoors really isn't causing any harm but I guess we will have to wait and see

pvb

Visit site
I'm fearing you are probably right PVB which is a shame as polishing the hull on my own outdoors really isn't causing any harm but I guess we will have to wait and see

Polishing (and antifouling) is much easier in the warmer and drier summer. That's when I do mine, taking advantage of cheap lift/relaunch offers.

pvb

Visit site
Not trying to pass judgement either way myself... but one things for sure, those of us who’ve been sensible and not contributed to the spread, but who don’t have conventional priorities (i.e. getting back to the shops), look likely to be punished for some time yet for the Govt’s horrendous failings last year.

And the younger generation will be punished by paying for those failings through higher taxes for the rest of their lives.

alexincornwall

Visit site
We are about two weeks until the Govt give an indication as to the unlock plans for lockdown. Anyone hazzard a guess as the implications for fitting out in the spring?

I'm due to be lifted 23rd March but need to make a call soon as to whether I delay and re-schedule. No point paying for the boat to be on hardstanding but not able to do anything - and I don't fancy having to pay someone to do my antifouling (call me odd, but I quite enjoy it!)

I put in a call to some folks at one of MDL's Solent Marinas who said that whilst the yard was rammed with boats, it was only contractors working on them, not members of the public.

I guess the good news is that the RYA, MDL etc all seem to be pretty quick out the blocks with guidance whenever the Govt do change the regs so hopefully it will at least be clear.

What's the collective wisdom?

I'm in exactly the same position and also extremely reluctant to pay somebody to antifoul the boat, not because I enjoy it but because it's a job that I do each and every year. I've put our haul out off until late Feb but only have 4 weeks to get the work done because the relaunch schedule is chocka after that.

I sense that the marina are panicking. There are boats everywhere and if people can't get them ready to go in soon, they're going to have a massive backlog of relaunches which will take them right into the middle of the season.

matt1

Visit site
I'm in exactly the same position and also extremely reluctant to pay somebody to antifoul the boat, not because I enjoy it but because it's a job that I do each and every year. I've put our haul out off until late Feb but only have 4 weeks to get the work done because the relaunch schedule is chocka after that.

I sense that the marina are panicking. There are boats everywhere and if people can't get them ready to go in soon, they're going to have a massive backlog of relaunches which will take them right into the middle of the season.

Yeah, that's exactly my worry. I got very lucky last year having been bumped twice in first lockdown but I don't want to surrender my slot unless I absolutely have to as apart from anything I really want to be sailing in the summer not painting! Done enough of that in lockdown ;-)

dankilb

Visit site
We’re in a small club, which makes things trickier still... for the club - there’s the economics to consider of course (whether enough people can even get together to justify a lift day - last year it never really happened); for the boat - there’s nobody there to really keep an eye on it and put anything right.

If she throws a prop in a winter wind storm - and she typically does maybe every third gale - there’s nobody to put that back. I appreciate that raises separate questions about the club, but that’s just the way it is and not everywhere is as organised and ship-shape as it should be.

For others in clubs, though, don’t forget that essential volunteering may be permitted before sailing. Of course, check the regs and follow the club’s lead - but people will be needed to check on boats and sort out any damage/issues before clubs may be officially allowed to re-open or before (overnight) sailing is allowed. So something to consider to help out and at least get a look at the boat, perhaps, before the summer!

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
I'd guess it'll be late April before we're officially allowed to play with our boats.

It is possible that as intermediate step outdoor recreation will once more be on the office list of reasonable excuses as tier 4/November's restrictions so permitting sailing (rather than the current mess) but owners working on their boats will remain problematic.

Bunym0b

Visit site
It will most likely be late March before we are out. In the meantime is important to stick to the programme and not risk infection. or winding up in A and E for some non-coved related injury. Its clear that had earlier warning been heeded and the government followed a zero tolerance policy we would not be in this fix.

D

Deleted member 36384

It will most likely be late March before we are out. In the meantime is important to stick to the programme and not risk infection. or winding up in A and E for some non-coved related injury. Its clear that had earlier warning been heeded and the government followed a zero tolerance policy we would not be in this fix.

May or mid April based on the vaccination schedule for 50 year olds. If the plan is to keep the pressure off the NHS then this may be the lower age limit that they need covered to allow the virus to spread without really filling up the NHS.

lustyd

Visit site
Some restaurants began taking bookings for March 8th yesterday and that’s usually a good indicator that next week the bbc will release a “government expected to announce” story. That’s usually a hint that the government have already announced the change to a limited audience.
As far as I’m concerned if restaurants are open I’ll be using my boat.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Personally I do not want the govt pressurised to open the lockdown too soon. if they do there is more chance we end up having another. So whilst a business owner ( & i really feel for them having been one) might be desperate to get back to work I think that another month now is better than another lockdown & more disruption again later on. So i hope that Boris keeps it on as long as he can. I am expecting a tier system to be in operation next but people will probably ignore it & it will not work. Hence the need to keep lockdown going.

In our club most do not launch until May so with Easter in early April & a bank holiday at the beginning of May one would have thought the majority could have managed their jobs starting end of March if they knuckled down & did not spend their time complaining about what the govt SHOULD have done to their mates. If it is later then May has a couple of bank holidays so they can do quite a bit then
Sailing from end of May, early June, still gives a good season. Of course with some yards being unable to deliver launch slots I can see the issue. I have no real problem at my home marina. They help as much as they can. A beer to the gantry driver does make a difference & is appreciated :)

Whilst this comment should perhaps be directed to the lounge I cannot help but make it-- I reckon that in the circumstances Boris has done a great job & we should stop knocking him. He has NOT MADE MISTAKES. His decisions were the right ones based on the scientific information & advice presented to him AT THE TIME. If the info was later proven wrong he cannot be blamed for that. He is a politician, not a scientist. Everyone I speak to reckons he has done as good as any alternative we have --- & that includes EDD down the pub:)

Last edited:

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Personally I do not want the govt pressurised to open the lockdown too soon. if they do there is more chance we end up having another. So whilst a business owner ( & i really feel for them having been one) might be desperate to get back to work I think that another month now is better than another lockdown & more disruption again later on. So i hope that Boris keeps it on as long as he can. I am expecting a tier system to be in operation next but people will probably ignore it & it will not work. Hence the need to keep lockdown going.

In our club most do not start sailing until May so with Easter in early April & a bank holiday at the beginning of May one would have thought the majority could have managed their jobs starting end of March if they knuckled down & did not spend their time complaining about what the govt SHOULD have done to their mates. If it is later then May has a couple of bank holidays so they can do quite a bit then
Sailing from end of May, early June, still gives a good season. Of course with some yards being unable to deliver launch slots I can see the issue. I have no real problem at my home marina. They help as much as they can. A beer to the gantry driver does make a difference & is appreciated :)

Whilst this comment should perhaps be directed to the lounge I cannot help but make it-- I reckon that in the circumstances Boris has done a great job & we should stop knocking him. He has NOT MADE MISTAKES. His decisions were the right ones based on the scientific information & advice presented to him AT THE TIME. If the info was later proven wrong he cannot be blamed for that. He is a politician, not a scientist. Everyone I speak to reckons he has done as good as any alternative we have --- & that includes EDD down the pub:)

Last year Scotland and Wales kept their restrictions in place almost two months longer the England and gained no discernible benefit from doing so and while your sailing club may have the traditional April to October season many of us keep our boats in commission for most of the year - an activity which has little risk of transmission .

As you mention tiers (although Johnson has said regional tiers are unlikely this time around) it is worth noting that using the criteria for setting them after the November restrictions most places would be in tiers 2 and 3.

Edit - I understand Grant Shapps told the Today programme 'do not book any summer holidays, UK or abroad' so even if we delay our season to when Stone Sailing Club starts it is not going to be the 'silver bullet' some think.

Last edited:
Reactions: RJJ

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Some restaurants began taking bookings for March 8th yesterday and that’s usually a good indicator that next week the bbc will release a “government expected to announce” story. That’s usually a hint that the government have already announced the change to a limited audience.
As far as I’m concerned if restaurants are open I’ll be using my boat.

I'd be surprised if that happened given we only get the government's "route map" on the 22 February, however as it would be perverse to continue to try and limit outdoor recreation while restaurants are open this would be encouraging.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Some restaurants began taking bookings for March 8th yesterday and that’s usually a good indicator
If you take a booking you can cancel them without having to accept any personal blame. If you have no bookings you can be caught out with empty covers. So that could be considered a tactical business strategy . Nothing else

matt1

Visit site
The Govt haven't said as much but they certainly seem more determined to go down an eradication route given the very considerable success in vaccinating. I guess its become top of mind that they don't want to squander that huge effort and advantage by letting a new strain in. All of which would indicate later, rather than earlier for unlock. This thread seems to be gravitating around April / May rather than March / April (which is what my lift out would have needed). I'll follow Robert Peston on Twitter as I'm sure he will be first to know ;-)

Boathook

Visit site
If you take a booking you can cancel them without having to accept any personal blame. If you have no bookings you can be caught out with empty covers. So that could be considered a tactical business strategy . Nothing else
I'm booking an event for our sailing club in mid April. Everyone I have spoken to, is well aware that it may not go ahead including boats not being ready which includes mine at present.

Other threads that may be of interest