Two stroke conumdrum

Ballistix

www.cinematreadwell.com
Just "serviced" my new two stroke 4hp and took it down the river. It starts perfectly but seems to be missing in some way at low revs a bit of a tweak on the throttle and it goes "smooth" again but after a few seconds appears to operate in a rough way again...any ideas? or should I just get it tuned?

T

yankee1

Visit site
I would check spark plug; fuel quality particularly if it has been sitting around, then carb settings...

Ballistix

www.cinematreadwell.com
Hi sorry, new to me, its a 2001 merc 4hp 2 stroke. it has brand new mixed fuel from yesterday because i wasnt sure what was in there and a new spark plug. I might just drop it off to the little outboard place next to my new marina today.

SpottyDog5

Visit site
I would strip the carb down, probably a bit gummed up?
Very easy to do when sat in the Lulworth, if you do want to someone to look at it, I can recommend Bursledon Outboards, just by the bridge at Swanwick

misterg

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Just "serviced" my new two stroke 4hp and took it down the river. It starts perfectly but seems to be missing in some way at low revs a bit of a tweak on the throttle and it goes "smooth" again but after a few seconds appears to operate in a rough way again...any ideas? or should I just get it tuned?

T

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably either a bit of plug fouling, or '4 stroking' at idle (due to the mixture being a bit rich)...

Ideas:

1) Make sure it's well warmed up, and the choke is all the way off

2) Give it a good blast (30 mins+ under load) to clear it out (do watch for overheating, though in case it's something more serious).

3) Try a different plug

4) If you used dodgy 2 stroke oil, or didn't mix it reasonably accurately, start again /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5) Does petrol start dripping from the carb if you leave it idling? If so, the float valve isn't sealing properly - remove dirt & try again.

6) If no better, make the idle mixture a tiny bit weaker, but not so weak that the engine hesitates when you snap the throttle open from idle. (Sorry, don't know whether you have a fuel screw, or an air screw on this - if fuel, screw it in ~1/8 turn, if air, screw it out about the same & try again.)

7) If 6 didn't work, put things back as they were.

8) No 2 stroke likes idling for any length of time - learn to live with it?

9) It could be electrical (but I doubt it), in which case you're on your own /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10) If K. suggests anything else, do that first /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Andy

Ballistix

www.cinematreadwell.com
Heh thanks guys, yeah I met Steve and Dan there a few days ago they've provided me with some parts they seem bloody good I do say...was going to drop it there due to time but thanks for the tips!

T