TVolvo TAMD63P Turbo not reving above 1300 Rpm

EssexPrincess

Visit site
My Princess 430 has only been used for river use at low speed for two years. Took her out but the Port engine would not reach above 1300 rpm with resulting black smoke and excess fuel deposits around the exhaust. I suspect engine is clogged with carbon deposits restricting the turbo from spinning.
Have been advised it maybe freed by removing the airbox and reaching into the turbo to check freedom of movement, if restricted to use an oven cleaner spray over the blade turbine to soften any deposits, then to rinse system with water to cleanse.
Has any one carried out this process with good results, what technique was used? Is Oven cleaner the best solvent to use or are there better alternatives? Am a bit concerned whether this may cause an issue with shaft bearings. If unsuccessful then I guess its removal and a service. Engine has only run 1000 hours so wear should not be the problem.
Everything appears to be normal operation uo to this speed.
Your advice would be appreciated.

Simon 420

Visit site
We had a similar issue a couple of years ago on our 420 but without the black smoke. Turned out to be the turbo wastegate, but my engineer said that black smoke is usually a sign that the turbo has gone

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Don’t go spraying oven cleaner in , that diy remedy is for variable vane turbo though I’ve never been a fan of that method .
You need to check some basic things .
Check the turbo spins freely by hand via the air filter box , remove it and the rubber hose .
Do you have black smoke ? If not it could be the injection pump that’s at fault .
Carry out a sea trial with a boost pressure gauge fitted to check the boost pressure,
Check the small rubber hose between the turbo and the inlet pipe thus is a common problem on this engine .

jrudge

Visit site
Spin turbo bu hand. If stuck put a socket on it and turn until free and test.

While I appreciate it is only one engine also how clean are the hull and props.

If the prop on the slow engine is very fouled it will produce similar symptoms.

DAKA

Visit site
My Princess 430 has only been used for river use at low speed for two years. Took her out but the Port engine would not reach above 1300 rpm with resulting black smoke and excess fuel deposits around the exhaust. I suspect engine is clogged with carbon deposits restricting the turbo from spinning.
Have been advised it maybe freed by removing the airbox and reaching into the turbo to check freedom of movement, if restricted to use an oven cleaner spray over the blade turbine to soften any deposits, then to rinse system with water to cleanse.
Has any one carried out this process with good results, what technique was used? Is Oven cleaner the best solvent to use or are there better alternatives? Am a bit concerned whether this may cause an issue with shaft bearings. If unsuccessful then I guess its removal and a service. Engine has only run 1000 hours so wear should not be the problem.
Everything appears to be normal operation uo to this speed.
Your advice would be appreciated.
If it really is just a sticky turbo spindle from lack of use then you don’t need to get your hands mucky or even go into the engine bay.

Get your engines warm and then rev in neutral a short blip or three at high rpm

The force of the exhaust will be enough to clear a bit of soot/ muck.

You will hear it spin if it clears and then try it in gear.

kashurst

Visit site
Most likely the turbo is coked up with soot. As per others, gently see if you can free it off. If so a good run at speed will clear it out.
As per Volvo Paul check for air leaks and as I found on one of mine, broken jubilee clips at the rubber/silcon tube that connects the turbo to the inlet manifold.

Rocksteadee

Visit site
Black smoke is unburnt fuel as the ratio of fuel to air is wrong.
This is then over fueling or under air.
Under air is probably turbo as all comments previously state
1300 is about where the turbo starts to come in so black smoke does indicate turbo.

EssexPrincess

Visit site
Success, checked engine Turbo seized, Broke carbon by turning Shaft anti clockwise and then revolved by hand to get some freedom. Started engine and used Revive Turbo cleaning fluid as directed by their instructions. Turbo now free and when engine is shut off Turbines co tinue to revolve by 20-30 seconds until stop. Hoping this is resolved and will take her out next few days to check engines working fine and am sure will be planeing along.
Thanks for your advise and pleased turbo is ok. Cost to resolve £38 for a bottle of Revive.
Sea trial wil be final test.