Try a little tender mess....

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
Got the idea from a diffferent thred..

Come on then, lets here your best dinghy disaster ;-)

I'll go first;

We anchored off Looe one sunny afternoon and thought we (a group of young lads) would take the rubber duck into the beach and wonder off into town. After anchoring the yacht just off the beach full of tourists, the 3 of us and a 2hp motored in. It was a nice flat day so a beach "assult" seemed like a good way of showing off to the holiday makers. It was a mild day, for October! So we took off our tops and motored in bare chested (it was some time ago now), the swell was lapping at the beach.

As we got closer the swell picked us up and gently surfed us towards the beach...it was quite fun as we continued to motor, the next wave came and gently surfed a little closer to the beach. The three of us were begining to enjoy this, a 3rd wave came, bigger than the previous two and pushed us further in. I think it was at this point that the idea if swiching the engine came to us, paddling in Hawaii 5 0 style, showing off to the girls on the beach...this was great we though as the next wave caught us.

Perfect, well it was until we forgot to paddle, the next wave turned us beam on and tipped the dinghy up, two fell from the top side catching me on their way down, all three of us were soaked and standing in freezing water, the dinghy meanwhile drifed up the beach the rightway up and totally un harmed!!!

Much to the amusmemt to the chearing crowd!

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
xmas treat

watched a rib coming into rodney bay, st lucia with a local guy in a santa suit standing in the bow en route to a resort hotel. same scenario, a bit of a swell running and the ding turned sideways and dumped him in the surf.

(he greeted us later on- 'ho ho ho man!')

<hr width=100% size=1>

Ohdrat

Visit site
not strictly a tender but dinghy ... long ago when Ohdrat was an Ohbrat and learning to sail she "managed" to ruin 5 fishing rods and countless lengths of line when learing how not to deal with a lee shore.. I have never had a lee shore experience since! :))))

<hr width=100% size=1>

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Launched the inflatable from the beach with two friends onboard to go out to the mooring. I had wet weather gear and welly boots on, as the trip out is a bit lumpy.
I was stood in the surf to steady the inflatable then walked it out a yard or two, stepped in turned to sit on the tube and promptly fell backwards into the water.
I was back in the boat as fast as I fell out, we all had a good laugh and the only ingress of water was some wetness around the knees of my jeans.

<hr width=100% size=1>

rich

www.portofjersey.je
I was out in my bombard tropic and 5hp,merc, the merc started to run rough, So! theres me standing over the engine,giving it full welly out of gear' when the inevitable happened, thud!! as i went over the top holding the throttle my momentum shut the revs down, lucky me.

<hr width=100% size=1>rich :))

Rabbie

Visit site
In an area where tenders were constantly being nicked, Rab thought it a good idea to buy a clapped out Mirror hull to use as a tender which was unlikely to go walkabout. However, one cold autumn afternoon whilst standing on the thwart of the 'tender' and lifting a 12v battery over the guard-rail of my Vivacity, I stepped down onto the Mirrors 'floor', which gave way and my leg plunged through the hull into icy Chichester water. Now, when you are wearing wellies and this happens, it is not easy to extricate your welly encased leg due to downwards splintered plywood!. One can only struggle whilst water floods tender at an amazing rate and you try to heave 12v battery back over guard-rails!. Get the picture?. God, was it cold!!!!. However, as you can see, I survived!.
sailor.gif

Rowana

Two steps lower than the ships' cat
Visit site
Paddling back into the beach at Carnoustie, Scotland when wave turned me broadside on and tiped me out. I thought I was a fair way out, and bravely struck out for the shore. Unfortunately (or fortunately if you prefer), the same wave had carried me and dinghy well in. After a couple of strokes doing a fair imitation of Duncan Goodhew, I looked up, then stood up -- The water was barely up to my knees ! !

Got a rousing cheer from all the people on the beach as I retrieved dinghy but not my composure !

<hr width=100% size=1>

Ohdrat

Visit site
Re: Surfing

mmm one of 1st great memories of sailing is Dad taking me and a friend out after a big gale in our Porchester Duck from Studland Bay.. it was one hell of a roller coaster and our wee boat (14' I think) surfing down the rollers.. needless to say we surfed back up the beach (with a following wind too).. fabulous fun.. and who said clinker dinghies didn't surf...

Any body know if the Rabies sign is still up on the Beach?? and can you still get fresh dressed crab from the cottage at the end of the lane?

<hr width=100% size=1>

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
It was the end of the season (October) and the boat was due to be lifted out, but it was blowing SW5/6 across Portland harbour.
Under normal circumstances I wouldn’t have attempted to launch the rowing boat, but the crane was booked, so I put on my dry suit, launched the dinghy and started to row the 200yds out to the mooring. Half way out an oar came out of the rowlock, I fell backwards and lost the oar. The dinghy then broached, I tried putting my weight as low in the dinghy as possible, but the waves capsized me. I tried to right the dinghy but no luck, so I kept hold of the upturned dinghy and angled my drift to collide with a boat on another downwind mooring. I reached the boat, dinghy in tow, and got around to the boarding ladder with the intention of using the ladder to help me right the dinghy.
Meanwhile, the windsurfing school had seen my predicament and launched their safety RIB, which collected me, the dinghy, and we found the floating oars. I asked the RIB Cox if he would mind dropping me off on my boat, which he did, and I was still in time for my lift out in Weymouth.
A bottle of Scotch was duly delivered to the RIB Cox and heaps of heartfelt thanks.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Magic_Sailor

Visit site
Newtown Creek with SWMBO, 2 friends and their daughter. Decided to pop up to the pub - tide ebbing. Thought about fuel - did nothing - was sure there was enough. OK, OK, OK - stupidly left oars in locker. All 5 of us pile in dingy. Other lady (not SWMBO!) quite large although daughter quite small (lifejackets on).

Halfway there, begins to rain. Three quarters there, outboard grinds to a halt - no fuel). Drifting back out of channel - quite quickly!. 5 people frantically paddling with hands (wet cold sleeves ugh!) to try to get back to Magicienne - but miss.

Very friendly and wonderful people give us a push and we get back on board.

Fill outboard - go to pub - never allowed to forget it.

Deep embarrasment.

My name is Magic Sailor and I have forgotten to check the fuel in my outboard.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://hometown.aol.co.uk/geoffwestgarth/myhomepage/travelwriting.html>Click for website!</A>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
When I bought the old P33. I decided I neaded a dinghy. rubber ones seemed very expencive then. But found a bloke who made fibre glass ones in Portmadog and thought it would look much posher. One cold Febuary day the sea was quite calm so set off for Aberdaron, anchored the boat there and set off in the dinghy for the pub. We were neary at the beach before we notices the surf. It did not look all that bad. So tried to judge the timing.. About six foot from the beach a wave came straight over the back and sunk us so fast, we were still sitting on the seats in the boat, which was now resting on the bottom! It took ages to get it refloated with about a ton of water in it, and us freezing to death. Coures when we got to the pub soaking wet. They had stopped serving food. Soon got shut of the dinghy and bought an avon. Best ever decision.

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue> Haydn

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Just remembered another one. It was the second year of owning my own boat and we had sailed down to Salcombe for the summer holiday. Moored up on one of their buoys and we all set off in the inflatable to explore Salcombe. It turned out that it was the regatta w/e, so we decided to stay ashore to watch the evening dinghy procession, all was well and we had a great time.
About 2100 we thought we had better get back to the boat and get the kids bedded down, so off we went. I was now faced with a mass of dark shapes, some with lights on, and realised that I hadn’t a clew which or where our boat was! After two hours of motoring up and down the buoys we finally found our boat. We all went to bed, very relieved, another lesson learned.

Same holiday, a couple of days later, we decided to move on up to Kingsbridge with the evening tide. Off we set and SHMBO got the kids ready for bed. I was motoring on, minding my own business, when I thought I saw what looked like a bridge ahead, which I thought was strange as no bridges were marked on the chart. I then noticed the water depth decreasing rapidly, but by the time I had reacted, we had grounded. So it was out with the kedge, into the inflatable and drop the anchor as far back as I could. Then back to the boat, kids out of bed and all of us up to the stern while I pulled us off. We then found the correct channel and continued to Kingsbridge. The kids thought it was great fun.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Sick of rowing Avon Rover out to the boat I finally splash out and get my knackered old 2hp refurbished at enormous cost. Halfway out in a choppy F4, the motor dies and rowing commences back to shore with much blue air and questioning of repairers' parentage. Almost back at shore, crew asks 'What's that little brass tap under the fuel tank for ...

<hr width=100% size=1>

Dominic

Visit site
So glad I wasn´t just me ...

Puttered back and forth from the yacht to Malpas - some 300 yards.

Did a couple of runs shifting gear from the dock.

Left Malpas - got 5 yards and ran out of fuel. Oars on yacht.

Paddled with hands and made the dock, much to the amusement of the Enterprise crew who dropped me off at the boat a few minutes later.

Can we start a special "Prats without Oars" Section, us two as the founding members ?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Magic_Sailor

Visit site
Re: So glad I wasn´t just me ...

We could indeed.

Very imoressed that Jim Kirk came to your aid!

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://hometown.aol.co.uk/geoffwestgarth/myhomepage/travelwriting.html>Click for website!</A>

I

Iota

Annual trip west complete with a strong willed Golden Retriever, female.

It was a balmy night in Salcombe on a buoy off Portlemouth beach rafted alongside old friends who had met down there. We had an excellent meal onboard and much testing; well that's what I call it, of many bottles of wine. About midnight the party broke up and I had to take my four-legged friend ashore, no problem. Into the dinghy and as it was high tide to the steps on the Portlemouth side, opposite the fuel barge. We tie up and find somewhere she can do what she needed to do. It hard clearing up after her by torchlight but mission was achieved and the bag placed in bin. Get back to the dingy and cast off and as I do so she exits the dinghy for a swim. How can I go back aboard and asy I have lost her…She is an excellent swimmer but... I go back to the steps and tie up and call her... she comes and takes one look at me and goes swimming again. I go round the corner of the steps so she cannot see me and call her again... she cannot see me so up the steps she comes... as she rounds the corner I clamp her and put her lead on. She promptly shakes over me, any idea how much water can remain in a golden until they shake - lots!!!! Back into the dinghy and head back. We get aboard, my higher authority is anxious because of the time we have been gone... at this stage I am told that I have to stay in the cockpit until my four-legged friend is dry. At that stage my neighbour over hearing this emerges from his boat and joins me in the cockpit where much whiskey is consumed whilst our ' friend' dries. What an end to a perfect evening. My four legged friend has not repeated the trick since due to the words and ...inflicted on her just before we cast off from the Portlemouth side for a second time.

<hr width=100% size=1>Courtesy is an iota but makes the world go round

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
More tender mess....

I was having a think and they seem to be the the worst part of it all.

I can remember getting back from the pub in Cawsand, dark night and by the time we'd found the boat it was well past midnight. All slightly the worst for wear. I was tying the dinghy up, anyone whos sailed with me knows I'm almost reliegious about tying dinghies; I tie a bowline in the end (through the cleat) and then tie it off round the cleat normally. On this occasion I did exactly that. Gave a couple of quick tugs on the rope to make sure everything was fine...then on the second tug, the rope went slack! The painter had only come away from the dinghy!.Rse..."Er skip...we have a bit of a problem!" then we hauled anchor to go and chase the dinghy round Cawsand bay in the pitch black of night.

Blooming rubber things!

How do others identfy their yachts in anchoridges???

It's no problem when you're one of a handfull of yachts, but in the Bahamas I had a hell of a time...you know how it is, you arrive in the day, have a walk around and a few beers, night falls and yer boat is one of a hundred black shapes on the water all with anchor lights and no distinguishing features...and you're not really sure which direction to start out in....any ideas?

<hr width=100% size=1>

MADFISH

Visit site
This one is on behalf of a relation of mine who will remain nameless.

My relation live on the upper reaches of the Hamble river on a 52ft motor boat. the family mode of transport was an Avon 3.10 Rib with a 15hp motor.

One late August evening he decided to go for a pint at the jolly sailor. No problem. At 20 Knots it dosn't take too long to get there. Having downed a couple of beers he hopped back into his trusty steed, started it up, pointed it the right way and opened the throttle. Now living on the river I can vouch for the fact that he new the waters like the back of his hand but suddenly, 4 feet in front of him he saw a large steel mooring bouy. He had no time to slow down, alter course or do anything. The dinghy was launched out of the water to quite some height and he was thrown out and into the water. Before he hit the water he worked out what he hit, why it was there and who put it there. It was the mooring bouy for the fireworks barge for the Bursledon regatta to be held that weekend!

He escaped with no injuries whatsoever. The dinghy came to an imediate halt as he was wearing the deadman. The hull just had some superficial scratches believe it or not. He just had to explain to his family whom he lectured on going too fast in the dinghy why he arrived home from the pub soaked from head to foot and shaking like a leaf!

(No lectures on the actions of this individual, the morals are quite self explanitary).

<hr width=100% size=1>

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
I posted this some time ago on MoBo Chat. It's all true, I'm afraid....

The stupidest thing I ever did: Getting into my Mirror from a pontoon, the dinghy (moored at the bow only) slid away from me as I descended and then, with graceful inevitability followed the laws of physics by capsizing, dumping me in the water and immersing the outboard, which I’d just lowered into the boat. Back on the pontoon, I emptied my pockets, managing - with considerable skill - to drop the keys of my locked car into the water at the same time. Yes; I know they should have been attached to something.

I then spent an enjoyable few minutes diving down into cold, murky water and trying to find the keys by touch, which was about as successful as you might imagine. This was all considered hugely amusing by the assembled crowd of onlookers (it was at Bucklers Hard on a Bank Holiday afternoon….) Fortunately it was round about LWS and, amazingly, I managed to get the keys before they were dragged along the river bottom by the tide or buried in silt, by fishing with the Harbourmaster’s big magnet on a rope thingy. The outboard lived to fight another day.

I made an excuse and left.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AJW

Visit site
Ahh now theres a childhood memory. My ol' man did almost exactly the same thing many moons ago, stepping from mobo onto bows of mirror dinghy. Now 15 stone bloke onto foredeck of mirror only has one outcome which is immediate inversion depositing shocked parent into water. Sight was so hilarious that No1 son (yours truly) laughed so hard that spectacles fell off and overboard stern of boat.
Father, in heroic effort to regain his respectability feels with feet in soft mud and miracle of miracle recovers spectacles, only slightly bent so that I could see again!

Digression from tender stories but highlight of fathers sailing career was tacking in wayfarer whilst in front of clubhouse, missing toe straps with size 11's and promptly somersaulting backwards into the drink. Much to the bemusement of his crew and the amusement of spectators. Added amusement in the fact that he was commodore of the SC at the time!

Ah well we all have to learn............

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by AJW on 25/02/2003 17:15 (server time).</FONT></P>