Truly unbelievable...

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
"unbelievable? Yes, having seen the titles of the other clips on that site I question just how accurate it is. "

I also suspended belief, but Googled it, and it seems it did happen, though without the drama of a storm at sea. Actual cause seems to have been a fault in the sea chest valves which allowed seawater to find a way into the ship via the sewage plumbing. This was made worse when the crew abandoned, leaving lower deck ports open. Ship finally sank the following day.

tome

www.google.co.uk
Christ! I cannot imagine a crew leaving the passengers to their fate. Well done to the 2 musicians who organised the evacuation by lifeboats and helos.

A brief google shows it happened in 91, but nothing about charges being laid against the crew

tome

www.google.co.uk
No, half the passengers were in lifeboats before the ship listed too far to deploy the remainder. Over 200 were rescued in a 7 hour flying marathon by SAAF pilots

jimd

Visit site
Greek crew, they made it ashore where the captain explained he did so to supervise the rescue. I remember him on the news at the time.

Dadkins

Visit site
I found this quote on Lloyds List newspaper

Epirotiki Lines, owners of the sunken Oceanos passengership said it would consider compensating passengers for lost luggage and personal belongings.

Nice of them

JKay

Visit site
yep saw it on the news in SA at the time.The "Captain"was ashore while the rescue was still taking place before the ship had sunk

cheers Joe

JayBee

Visit site
I don't know the facts of this case, but the villification of the ship's crew is a common theme in stories of this kind. Interesting how this compares with media treatment of aircraft disasters, where the pilots are always heroes in spite of any cock ups they may have made - such as running out of fuel, getting lost, shutting down the wrong engine and so on....

Glyka

Visit site
I 've fought against capital punshment in quite a few threads, but I consider this to be treason and I strongly believe that they should 've been shot (if not hanged).

But they were lucky and nobody was hurt so they could only be accused of jeopardizing human lives which means some months in prison (that you can pay for). On the other hand, spending the rest of your life carrying that shame may be a more lasting punishment...

I feel ashamed, and I hope that other Greek sailors found other ways to punish them.