Trouble replacing Gebo portlight knob

dedwards

Visit site
A knob on my gebo portlight has seized solid so I’m trying to replace it. However, I can’t get it off and was hoping somebody could offer advice.

the spindle is held on by a cylinder in the gulley which seems happy to slide left and right but won’t slide far enough due to a rectangular piece that is fixed centrally. Ive tried removing that piece with brute force but it’s not budging.

am I right that I need to remove that central piece? And if so, does anybody have any advice on dislodging it?

Zing

Visit site
A knob on my gebo portlight has seized solid so I’m trying to replace it. However, I can’t get it off and was hoping somebody could offer advice.

the spindle is held on by a cylinder in the gulley which seems happy to slide left and right but won’t slide far enough due to a rectangular piece that is fixed centrally. Ive tried removing that piece with brute force but it’s not budging.

am I right that I need to remove that central piece? And if so, does anybody have any advice on dislodging it?
The threaded spindle that the knob screws onto is held in place by a pin, which locates in a hole in the end of the spindle. That pin is held in positioning the frame by a grub screw. 2.5mm or 3.0mm about. Often they corrode and jam up, if so use a penetrating anti corrosion oil on it and let it soak in a while. Once loosened you need to rotate the pin through 90 deg so the flat on the pin can fit through the narrow gap in the extrusion of the frame. It will then pull out.

dedwards

Visit site
Hi zing. Thanks for your description though I think I have something subtly different. The pins themselves don't appear to be held in place by anything (I can slide them side to side a little) . However there's a rectangular piece between the two pins and that is stopping me from disengaging them. I will double check though that the pins aren't flat on one side. Thanks

Zing

Visit site
Hi zing. Thanks for your description though I think I have something subtly different. The pins themselves don't appear to be held in place by anything (I can slide them side to side a little) . However there's a rectangular piece between the two pins and that is stopping me from disengaging them. I will double check though that the pins aren't flat on one side. Thanks
We may be at cross purposes. I don't really understand what you are describing. A picture speaks a thousand words...

If you need parts, the importer is Im Products:
IMP

dedwards

Visit site
I've managed to take a piccy. It looks like there's supposed to be grub screws holding the centre piece on but they don't seem to be there.

Hmm. But the server is refusing it cause it's too big. Seems I now have to wait till I get home to fiddle with the size of the pic

dedwards

Visit site
Finally managed to get it uploaded! The pin holding the spindle on is completely free to slide side to side but is very much in the groove and wont lift out. That rectangular piece seems to be the answer but most definitely wont move. It looks like its supposed to be held in by grub screws but I cant see any evidence of them being there (not that its easy to tell as the holes seem to be crudded up).

Does anybody have any suggestions before I take a drill to those small holes in the hope it makes a difference?

Zing

Visit site
Finally managed to get it uploaded! The pin holding the spindle on is completely free to slide side to side but is very much in the groove and wont lift out. That rectangular piece seems to be the answer but most definitely wont move. It looks like its supposed to be held in by grub screws but I cant see any evidence of them being there (not that its easy to tell as the holes seem to be crudded up).

Does anybody have any suggestions before I take a drill to those small holes in the hope it makes a difference?
It looks different from mine and the advice I posted above does not seem appropriate. It’s hard to be certain as the picture is a bit fuzzy.

shindigsailing

Visit site
Did you ever get this apart? I have the same issue.
I'm planning to drill out he two pins that hold the joining block in the groove.
Once that block is removed the pin should slide over enough to install the new knob.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I have Gebo port lights and the knob is easy removable once you know how

The cover on the front of the knob can be removed by using the tio id a knife between the edge of the knob and the coloured ring

Once this is removed there is a small screw in the end of the screw that the knob screws onto . Remove this small screw and the knob will then screw completely off.

If the know is seized it could be it id screwed up to the small screw if it is sealed use a release agent to loosen it.

This link shows the knob abd cover removed

Gebo - Portlight Knob without Spindle

This Video may helpe

Last edited: