Trim Tabs

broadbent

Visit site
I've just bought a 1993 21' Searray motor boat, and its stored inside a workshop in London. I'm taking it down to Poole in the Spring.
It would be a good time to work on the boat, so I would like to get people's opinions about whether it's worthwhile fitting trim tabs, and if so, which.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
www.jensenengland.co.uk
Assuming that your boat is a stern drive configuration my response is a define yes, fit them.
I have owned a Sealine 19ft and a 24ft and trim tabs were definatly needed especially if you have 3 or 4 people in the stern.
One strange thing I don't like about the way that the up/down knob is usually displayed is up for bow up (down for bow down) My preference is for up being trim tab up etc and the effect being secondary.
Also I notice that after the boat is on the plane bring the tabs up straightaway or you can get a very unnerving oversteering roll.
hope it helps, best of luck
David

G

All of my last 3 boats have had trim tabs fitted and I would not be without them. The most important feature that has not been mentioned is their ability to keep the boat running on an even keel. Boats tend to lean into the wind and correct use of the tabs will correct this and give a better ride. Also if power trim is not fitted and even if it is tabs will give you greater control in either a head or following sea.

coliholic

Visit site
I'll go with Kent on this one. My first year at sea this year in a 29 ft Mirage and we found when going into wind it made the ride easier to trim the tabs up a bit so she rode bow high and conversely downwind. Wind from side, just adjust one tab to even up the boat. I've got the Bennett tabs and also fitted their trimdicators, so you can see at a glance exactly where they're positioned and I found them a great help, but not cheap. Bought mine from www.westmarine.com in USA, well under half the price of UK.

ArthurWood

Visit site
I agree with Byron. You may not need them and if it is just a question of getting on plane faster, fit a hydrofoil which is much cheaper and very effective for that size boat. It also depends where you will be using the boat. I suggest you try it out in various sea conditions before goiing to the expense of fitting tabs. As suggested, ask Sea Ray at www.searayboats.com. They are usually quick to respond. Have your hull ID ready when to contact them.

Other threads that may be of interest