Trilux for Saildrive or Not?

Slipperman

Visit site
Since I have had my current boat (17 years) I have always used Trilux on the Saildrive (Yanmar SD20). Now it would appear that you can only by Trilux in 2.5 litre cans, and there is a note on the International Paints website which says that it is for 'professional use only'. I wonder why that should be, but it has also made me wonder whether, since the sail drive has several coats of epoxy primer underneath the previous coats of Trilux, is it really necessary to use special antifouling for the saildrive? Would not, for instance, Hempel hard racing antifouling be ok on top of some more anti-fouling primer?

Dipper

Visit site
It's a shame it's now unavailable as I use it on my propeller and saildrive. This is my propeller at lift out this year and I hardly used my boat.

20231009-094706.jpg

johnalison

Visit site
I have been using Trilux for many years but out of sheer laziness this year I used the Trilux spray that I had applied to the prop to the saildrive as well instead of the usual brush, and it seemed to work well enough.

Slipperman

Visit site
Many thanks for replies. I had not heard of the Hempel Ecopower spray, and when I googled it, I also found that Hempel now supply something called Hempel Alu Prop NCT which says it is suitable for aluminium boats and outdrives. It comes in a 750 ml tin, which is still quite a large tin for just treating a sail drive once a year. So will give the Ecopwer spray a go and see how I get on.

Neeves

Visit site
Unless I have missed some salient detail. Check PBO, use the search function, and you will find a product called Velox. Read the posts before you make your decision. Velox has some similarities with Chemistry to Trilux, but Velox has a higher concentration of the active ingredients. Its not cheap but comes in small tins, maybe suitable for 2 props, or ... one prop twice.

There is another route and that is Prop Speed or Prop Gold aka Prop One. This is a silicone coating and is popular with large Mobos and their outdrives - again it is not cheap.

In all cases, all different prop coatings - follow the instructions carefully - you prop generates different forces to your hull (and the sail drive) and you need a tenacious bond between the paint and the base.

A different source, maybe - Vyv Cox, highly reputable metallurgist is a user of Velox and he might mention the 'whys' on the website - simply google 'Vyv Cox, Marine Metallurgist'

Jonathan

Last edited:

xyachtdave

Visit site
The Prop o Drev in spray cans mentioned above, the primer and top coat gives a really nice smooth finish compared to the paint Trilux in a tin.

The small cans have done about 5 years worth of sail drive so far.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
A different source, maybe - Vyv Cox, highly reputable metallurgist is a user of Velox and he might mention the 'whys' on the website - simply google 'Vyv Cox, Marine Metallurgist'

Jonathan
I have yet to enter my Velox history onto the website although I have the history in photographs. The performance of the product in Greece is as good as can be expected once I had found the optimum method of application.
I believe that some UK users have not had comparable success, although I understand that some of this may be due to use of Velox' own primer, which I understand is difficult to apply reliably.

Neeves

Visit site
I have yet to enter my Velox history onto the website although I have the history in photographs. The performance of the product in Greece is as good as can be expected once I had found the optimum method of application.
I believe that some UK users have not had comparable success, although I understand that some of this may be due to use of Velox' own primer, which I understand is difficult to apply reliably.
So... for further detail use the PBO search function. that's why its there, and include 'Velox' as part of you search function. Many of the threads include reports on other materials used with success, or not, for props and sail drives. Prop treatment is a common thread.

Jonathan

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
'professional use only'.
I wonder how they define 'professional use'. I am pretty sure they have not way of controlling who uses their product.

If I used their stuff, from what I've seen in the yard it is a complete waste of time and money, I would be expecting them to send down a representative to inspect my membership certificates of professional institutes. They are well out of date now I am retired and have lapsed membership, but attend meetings as a guest.

Slipperman

Visit site
Ok well thanks for all replies. I am familiar with the PBO search function but thought I had a couple of points to make which have not been previously aired/addressed. I have indeed come across Velox, but got the impression that it was primarily for props rather than saildrives. As a result of this thread and my own googling, it is clear that there are now a number of different options for saildrives, more than previously, so will ponder some more then dive in.

Tranona

Visit site
The downside with Velox is that it is not easy to apply to an already coated surface. You are right it is best for props, particularly bronze which you can get really clean and abraded to the right level. You can use it on aluminium housings but you need to get back to the factory coating, so best done from new. In my experience the spray on coatings which are more tolerant of preparation are satisfactory on the saildrive housing but tend for obvious reasons to erode on propellers, particularly if you don't put enough coats on.

On my last boat with a saildrive and a 2 blade folder I did just the blades in Velox. I took them home, soaked in brick cleaner, abraded as per instructions and the result was excellent. Adhesion was good and at least for the 2 years I had the boat after that no significant fouling.

Attachments

• IMG_20200623_150111.jpg
    IMG_20200623_150111.jpg
    1,018 KB · Views: 16

Slipperman

Visit site
Many thanks Tranona - actually a few years ago I treated myself to a Featherstream prop and it seemed such a thing of beauty that so far I have not used any antifouling paint on it. It does get a bit fouled over a season but nothing too bad and each winter I take it home for a clean up. So I was really just asking about the saildrive. Anyway, thanks again for comments and advice.

Tranona

Visit site
Many thanks Tranona - actually a few years ago I treated myself to a Featherstream prop and it seemed such a thing of beauty that so far I have not used any antifouling paint on it. It does get a bit fouled over a season but nothing too bad and each winter I take it home for a clean up. So I was really just asking about the saildrive. Anyway, thanks again for comments and advice.
I also have a Featherstream on my current boat and have just finished coating with Ecopower, not just for the fouling - the boat is in the water all year - but to reduce the exposed area in the hope of reducing anode wear. Have also introduced another anode. As you see it is shaft drive. Photo when I installed it this time last year. Waiting for photos of the new all black stern gear.

Attachments

• IMG_20220916_123848.jpg
    IMG_20220916_123848.jpg
    639.7 KB · Views: 17

Neeves

Visit site
The downside with Velox is that it is not easy to apply to an already coated surface. You are right it is best for props, particularly bronze which you can get really clean and abraded to the right level. You can use it on aluminium housings but you need to get back to the factory coating, so best done from new. In my experience the spray on coatings which are more tolerant of preparation are satisfactory on the saildrive housing but tend for obvious reasons to erode on propellers, particularly if you don't put enough coats on.

On my last boat with a saildrive and a 2 blade folder I did just the blades in Velox. I took them home, soaked in brick cleaner, abraded as per instructions and the result was excellent. Adhesion was good and at least for the 2 years I had the boat after that no significant fouling.
As said if you want to treat the sail drive then you need to remove the epoxy coating. We did this and tried a variety of coatings (on both the legs and the props). I went on a training course for Prop Gold, aka Prop One and I followed the instructions to the letter for Velox. I cannot say we were really happy with anything. Our AF on the hulls lasted 2 years but we really only achieved a year with anything we tried. Prfeiously we had tried Trilux - but it was worse.

So the silicone coatings and Velox gave us a year and then we would beach and clean until the hulls needed new AF and we would do the whole lot together. Unlike AF which needs a minimum of preparation we would clean both the sail drive and props with a stainless steel brush on an angle grinder (wear goggles! and decent gloves). It gives a really nasty finish to the metal work, touch it and you can feel the rugosities catching your skin - but its perfect as a base for primer.

We never tried the spray on coatings.

We would usually take the props off, 3 bladed folding Volvos, as we had to change the anodes.

We too found the original new props things of beauty - more a centre piece on a coffee table rather than something to stick in the water and attack with an angle grinder.

Its does not help the sail drive but Vyv copper coated his prop, again check his website, with success.

I have never understood why we could not have a carbon filled epoxy sail drive - which would then allow use of a copper based AF - and remove all this anguish.

Jonathan

Tranona

Visit site
Velox recommend you leave the original Volvo coating in place and apply paint on top. We toyed with this when my Bavaria was new but advice from the yard which did the commissioning was not to as if it failed it was difficult to remove. So the spray was used and as you can see from the photo was very successful. The photo was taken after 5 years in the water and just 3 haulouts when a few barnacles were removed and more coats sprayed on. Initially the prop was also sprayed, and although the hub was OK the blades did not last so well and barnacles severely affect performance. Velox on the blades worked well.

BTW Vyv did not Coppercoat his prop but copper plated

coveman

Visit site
Could someone tell me whether Trilux Prop-0-Drev dries completely or does it come off like a soft antifoul - I'm keen to use it on my outboard after coating with a primer but not if it means I get covered in the stuff when I am transporting it! Thanks