Tricks for removing early winter green growth from topsides

FleurDeLys

Visit site
Just the early signs, but enough that I want to get on top of it before it gets on top of me.

Anybody got any pet tips for labour-saving ways of getting rid? combination of teak deck and GRP coachroof

FleurDeLys

Visit site
Any risk in using this on teak deck? Seems to say 'apply and forget', which Im sure is fine fro GRP surfaces, but is there an advisory period after which one should wash it off a teak deck?

wrr

Visit site
I apply a mixture of Benzalkonium Chloride and Borax and watch the green disappear over a few days. Many proprietary "fungicidal" or decking washes contain benzalkonium chloride. Boracol also contains the borax, at a price. Years ago, the San Francisco classic boat museum introduced me to borax as their timber preservative of choice and I find that it seems to prevent regrowth of the algae for the season. I have used the mixture to good effect on teak decks, the acrylic "canvas" of spray hoods and sail covers.

pvb

Visit site
Instructions say up to 1:9. I always use 1:4. 1/2l @ 1:4 does my decks. Apply with large paint brush (wallpapering size) when decks dryas possible to allowit to sink in.

Also best to choose a day when rain isn't forecast for the next 48 hours. (OK, OK, I know that's difficult....)

rorysmith

Visit site
Two nonos; do not powerwash and do not scrub. Use soft cloth. My method is three step. Firstly wash deck with soapy hot water and rinse with clean (not salt) water. Then repeat with dishwasher solution. Third wash again with oxalic acid 6% solution and rinse with bucket after bucket of fresh water. Like I said damage is done by scrubbing and powerwashibg.

Boat441

Visit site
Here goes another discussion on teak cleaning!!

Personally I wouldn't use any of the above on teak decks. One use of BoatLife teak bride powder at the beginning of the year then just fairy liquid and a soft brush. At over £2k per square meter I'll treat my teak gently. I also like the grey look so don't need to clean to get that "new" teak colour. But that is an individual thing.

Any green that is proud of the teak I use a sharp knife to gently scrap it off.