Trial sailing experience for 7yr old daughter with mobility difficulties

Reptile Smile

Visit site
A bit of a long shot, but if you don't ask, you don't get... Also not entirely sure of the best place to post this.

I have 7 year old twins. One of them has cerebal palsy, and accordingly has mobility issues. She can walk, with difficulty, with sticks on level ground, or a frame, but at primary school (mainstream) is generally in her wheelchair. The other twin has no additional needs.

After a unexpectedly succesful day's canoeing on our summer holiday with the girls, my wife, quite out of the blue, said, "You know what we should do next year? You should do your day skipper, and we should charter a boat."

Once I got over my astonishment, we started to explore the practicalities. I think a week in the Netherlands could work v well, and we would therefore have probably a bit of sailing on the Markermeer and IJesselmeer, and also some time on the inland waterways (at least, the Mast Up route). It struck me that if the kids hate sailing, at least we could rescue something on the canals. It would essentially mean me doing the sailing (with a little help where possible from other daughter), whilst my wife is generally sitting in the cockpit with daughter with additional needs.

It's a bit of a gamble, and also a not insignificant expense, and I wondered if I could put a possible plea out there to see if anyone would be able to host us for a sail to see whether it "floats my kids' boat", as it were. My daughter with the additional needs would just be sat in the cockpit, and my wife would just be with her and supporting her. My other daughter may or may not participate with a bit of child-friendly crewing, and I'm of course regular crew. To put into context, I've sailed something like 750 miles in the last 10 years, and skippered something loike 500, mostly single handed, on a variety of boats - generally in the Bristoil Channel, but occasionally off the Kent and Essex coasts. I like to think I generally know what I'm doing (at least, if I've got that wrong, I might be barking up the wrong tree with the summer holiday idea...).

I hope it would be possible to just go for a bit of a bimble - it doesn't need to be (indeed, probably shouldn't be) a Force 6 sailing with the gunwhales in the water - I just want them to have an experience of sailing to know whether our summer hol plan is a go-er or not. It also doesn't need to be for too long a period of time - maybe just an hour or two, just to give them a taste of it. If anyone can help, we could get to anywhere from - I don't know - say Plymouth to the Solent, and anywhere in South Wales. The only constraint from our point of view would be it would need to start from a pontoon - I don't think it would be feasible to lift my daughter in from a tender.

I appreciate it's a huge and somewhat cheeky ask, but if anyone would be able to offer such a "accessibility experience", it would be fantastic to hear from you - do DM me. Alternatively, or additionally, if anyone has any other ideas about how I might approach this, please do let me know.

Thanks for your time in reading this.

Last edited:

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com
As an RYA instructor agree with above see if there is a local RYA Sailability club.

We hired a motorboat in Sneek Holland a few years ago and ideal for cruising the canals and safe for your daughter but actual sailing in Holland maybe not be such a good idea as it can get very busy with commercial barges in places but loads of places to moor overnight

Yes another good option above is to do your RYA day skipper course if you still plan on sailing or if going the motorboat route maybe do the RYA Powerboat 2 course which would also lead you to obtaining an ICC

Last edited:
Visit site
I am sure there are many generous skippers out there who might offer to help with this. My first inclination is to do exactly that. One caveat that springs to mind is insurance for the skipper (in case of unforseen accidents), and how you verify that the boat is safe to sail on (not just the skippers opinion!) You might end up needing to use a commercial skippered charter on a coded boat, in order to cover those points safely.

FairweatherDave

Visit site
My twins are 23, and one has cerebral palsy, so we're in the same club :). However although my son's physical disability does his affect his walking he can climb on the boat and into the cockpit, whereas it sounds like you might be lifting your daughter aboard? manoevering her along the coach roof on her bottom and into the cockpit? Getting down into the saloon and to the heads might be awkward. You've obviously sailed but these are the details I would want to discuss. I think if you can just get aboard a friendly boat in a marina and test out that side of things then going out for a sail (maybe on a different occasion) is a doddle! I will say that both my twins have spent lots of time on our boat and find it a bit boring - afraid I put them off. However my other son who also has cerebral palsy is really happy on the boat and loves it the rougher the better. He climbs along the gunwhales while I walk behind him on the pontoon as goalie.... Go for it and if you draw a blank PM me. We're on a swinging mooring and getting to the boat is a challenge for us to get in the diary as we are two hours away.

Elessar

Visit site
... but if you don't ask, you don't get. Also not entirely sure of the best place to post this.

I have 7 year old twins. One of them has cerebal palsy, and accordingly has mobility issues. She can walk, with difficulty, with sticks on level ground, or a frame, but at primary school (mainstream) is generally in her wheelchair. The other twin has no additional needs.

After a unexpectedly succesful day's canoeing on our summer holiday with the girls, my wife, quite out of the blue, said, "You know what we should do next year? You should do your day skipper, and we should charter a boat."

Once I got over my astonishment, we started to explore the practicalities. I think a week in the Netherlands could work v well, and we would therefore have probably a bit of sailing on the Markermeer and IJesselmeer, and also some time on the inland waterways (at least, the Mast Up route). It struck me that if the kids hate sailing, at least we could rescue something on the canals. It would essentially mean me doing the sailing (with a little help where possible from other daughter), whilst my wife is generally sitting in the cockpit with daughter with additional needs.

It's a bit of a gamble, and also a not insignificant expense, and I wondered if I could put a possible plea out there to see if anyone would be able to host us for a sail to see whether it "floats my kids' boat", as it were. My daughter with the additional needs would just be sat in the cockpit, and my wife would just be with her and supporting her. My other daughter may or may not participate with a bit of child-friendly crewing, and I'm of course regular crew. To put into context, I've sailed something like 750 miles in the last 10 years, and skippered something loike 500, mostly single handed, on a variety of boats - generally in the Bristoil Channel, but occasionally off the Kent and Essex coasts. I like to think I generally know what I'm doing (at least, if I've got that wrong, I might be barking up the wrong tree with the summer holiday idea...).

I hope it would be possible to just go for a bit of a bimble - it doesn't need to be (indeed, probably shouldn't be) a Force 6 sailing with the gunwhales in the water - I just want them to have an experience of sailing to know whether our summer hol plan is a go-er or not. It also doesn't need to be for too long a period of time - maybe just an hour or two, just to give them a taste of it. If anyone can help, we could get to anywhere from - I don't know - say Plymouth to the Solent, and anywhere in South Wales. The only constraint from our point of view would be it would need to start from a pontoon - I don't think it would be feasible to lift my daughter in from a tender.

I appreciate it's a huge and somewhat cheeky ask, but if anyone would be able to offer such a "accessibility experience", it would be fantastic to hear from you - do DM me. Alternatively, or additionally, if anyone has any other ideas about how I might approach this, please do let me know.

Thanks for your time in reading this.
We take part in an annual Rotarian organised event called Kids Out where a load of boats take a load of kids with various challenges and needs out on a boat picnic at east head.

I can’t help with a sailboat (but would help on a stink pot with pleasure if that err, floats your boat) and if you PM me with your email I’ll send it to the organisers. They may be able to connect you with a willing saily boat owner.

Reactions: vas

Mister E

Visit site
I am based in North Wales but would happily take you all out on our Catalac 8meter. At no cost whatsoever to you.
It has a large open cockpit and level inside seating but the toilet is down some steps.
Maybe someone on the south coast would be able to let you try and see what it is like to get on board, even if they could not take you all out.

Corribee Boy

Visit site
There's a sailability in Bristol Harbour, and also one on Chew Valley Lake - used to be called CLADS but they've just changed their name. They have a small fleet of dinghys, including Challenger trimarans. I realise that doesn't answer the yacht question, but if you're interested in the lake idea, they'd be very welcoming.

CLADS

or PM me.