Tri-Lens radar reflector

st599

Visit site
Not a silly question at all! I have no idea; there is no interconnection, so all I can think of is that it ignores signals OVER a certain strength. Even though the active transponder is usually located well out of the radar's beam, one a few metres away will still be radiating a lot more power than the power received from a radar on another vessel.

Interested in hearing from someone with more definite knowledge!

Incidentally, that sounds like a good reason for the transponder to be mounted at the masthead, where it will be in a null of the radar antenna's polar diagram. I can't imagine why you'd want to restrict the range at which it reacts by mounting it low down. As far as I'm concerned, the further I can be "seen" the better!

Does it ignore it? A traditional radar won't switch to receive mode in time for you to see it. A new FMCW radar painting it may get a response.

Daverw

Visit site
Our radar is on the stern arch and I’ve been looking at echomax for some time and plan was to fit on the top of the side of the arch, the radar is 4g digital so not sure if this will still work, suppose most of the time radar is off and echomax would be on all the time.

Topcat47

Visit site
does anybody knows why the tri-lens radar reflector is out of production?

Basically yachts are generally cheapskates. Both the Tri-Lens and the Cyclops were not bought due to their price. not everyone is content with AIS or Transponders which are both dependent on Battery health. However, as long as people prefer to pay pennies for those tubular ones that don't work, the better and more expensive ones will leave the market.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Basically yachts are generally cheapskates. Both the Tri-Lens and the Cyclops were not bought due to their price. not everyone is content with AIS or Transponders which are both dependent on Battery health. However, as long as people prefer to pay pennies for those tubular ones that don't work, the better and more expensive ones will leave the market.
Even the best passive radar reflector barely meets SOLAS requirements. Transponders do so easily. A tiny solar panel would keep one going indefinitely.