tremlett boats

Tremlett 15

Visit site
Some pics from a Tremlett brochure ( early 70s )

IMG_00034.jpg

IMG_00023.jpg

IMG6.jpg

halcyon

Visit site
Forty years on, and they still look right, change some detail points, and they are still modern in general lines.

Went to Topsham in the 1980's a number of times tailking about supplying switchgear, but they faded away and nothing came of it.

Brian

omega2

Visit site
These were lying around when I last visited the smaller one is 30' as already stated the outdrive models (at least mine) were a pain in the butt. That visit was to explore the viability of going onto a shaft but was advised against it, so she had to go.
scan14-05-200910h59m25s.jpg

Tremlett 15

Visit site
Have we started something here?? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My brother at Tremletts yard in 1973 when he & dad drove from Bangor ( Northern Ireland ) to collect the bare hull of T 15 ( stage 1 @ £ 139 x yard via the Belfast agent with us to collect ) ; in this pic, the small cruiser being a 21 Sportsman & the larger being a timber cruiser, Chris told my dad at the time that ours was/would be the last timber hull he was making( true ?? )

IMG-30.jpg

Austin.

omega2

Visit site
It's lovely to look back on these classic's had it not been for the drive I would still have mine, here she is when we got her
scan14-05-200913h09m30s.jpg

and as she was when we parted company, we did the reconstruction of the cockpit ourselves
scan14-05-200913h10m33s.jpg

Cracking boat!!

Tremlett 15

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I reckon James (Firefly625) would be a happy man to see the old speed boat with the mercury, its a wonder he hasn't commented?

Nice pics by the way!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think James may know my boat & me!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

gordmac

Visit site
Thanks for the contributions. Some really smart boats in these pictures, better looking than a lot of the modern stuff. Unfortunately the one I am looking at is not quite so pretty!

AndieMac

Visit site
Just a thought.............. could you extend a trunk cabin (not too high or long), into that extensive flat foredeck area. The boat appears to be quite long and narrow, but a bit of extra headroom could help?

Enjoy your boat anyway!

AndieMac

Visit site
The second photo down appears to have a full width engine box?

Did you reduce the width (engine box), and raise the cockpit sole to make it self draining, or just repairing?

They (Tremlett boats) certainly did have a contempory, by todays standards, appearance, for a boat designed way back. Looking at the pulpit and safety rails on gordmacs 28 footer, the old 1973 photos had them a lot lower and sleeker.

Was the photo taken in Scotland or Ireland? Beautiful spot though.

gordmac

Visit site
Did wonder about lifting some of the the foredeck a bit to make a bit more headroom at the bunks. I have no idea how feasible or easy that would be to do. I am happy enough with oily bits but not so sure about woodwork (GRP work)!

gordmac

Visit site
Does anybody know how many of the bigger boats exist? Don't appear for sale, are there so few or do the people who have them tend to keep them?

gordmac

Visit site
Just thought I would mention I bought the boat. Took her home on Sunday, about 40 or so miles. Had a bit of a problem with port engine before we set off but putting some oil in the injection pump helped a lot, (thanks for the suggestion Mikej). Very pleasant trip, nice weather, beautiful scenery. I think she will do me fine.

Tranona

Visit site
Nice to see this thread again - missed some of the earlier posts. The copy of the brochure brings back fond memories as I was involved in the building of 3 of the boats shown. The one that looks like a bus was particularly memorable. It was built for the Nigerian Police against a spec that required a service speed of 24 knots with a full load of 50 riot (anti -riot?) police to run in shallow water. Powered by 2 400hp Sabre Man V10s and fitted out like a London bus inside. Not shown is the extensions aft to the hull like big trim tabs, nearly 6ft long, fitted to extend the planing area and keep the stern from digging in. That shot was taken on the Exe on trials with 40+ squaddies from the marine base on board.

Boat was dismantled and shipped to Nigeria to avoid duty. Bottom of the hull was filled with goodies such as cans of baked beans for the ex pats out there - and a false floor glassed in! Regrettably, but inevitably it did not last long. Although a simple boat by our standards it suffered fron inadequate maintenance.

If I remember rightly, hull numbers at that time (1980) were into the 40s. There was only one mould, originally with 12ft beam then widened simply by putting an extension on each half, to 13ft. There was a false transom to give lengths anywhere between 30 and 42 ft. Main engines used were Sabres then Volvos, but owners could have what they wanted, so Cummins, Cats, Perkins and GMs were also fitted.

Would guess few survive in working condition, but performancewise they would still hold their own.

Happy days!