tremlett boats

gordmac

Visit site
Hi
can anyone help me with some information on Tremlett boats please? Not had a lot of luck with Google. Been looking at one about 28ft with twin diesels, old and needing some tlc but are they any good?

Tranona

Visit site
I worked for Chris in the early 80's when the main line was the 42. Also produced smaller boats derived from his 21 foot design. If I recalll correctly the 28 hull was a 21 that had been lengthened and widened, primarily to meet demand for commercial boats - many went to Nigeria. He also built some Med style cruisers on that hull.

From memory the hull performs well if it has enough power, but construction and finish not of the best. Many hulls were home completed so of variable quality. He was also an early experimenter with inner and outer hulls with foam in between - not too successful, but I think 28s were straight solid mouldings.

Hope this helps

omega2

Visit site
I used to own a 26, built like a brick ----house, went really well, had a Ford Sabre 180 diesel, borg warner 1/1 box, driving a sternpower 80 leg. Go through anything but kept eating the leg too much torque i think.
bluefoxflying.jpg

Peanuts

Visit site
I had a 21 with a 140 mercruiser in it. A really good boat, very stable, used to go miles out with it mainly as a dive boat. Did quite a few modifications to it and when I came to sell it did so in a week.
A friend of mine had a yellow one that was used by a harbour authority as a fire rescue boat (one of six I believe)
Although I cannot give you any infomation to help I can tell you I thoughly enjoyed my time with my Tremlett.

omega2

Visit site
Further to my last, the 26 we had was single layer fibre glass, with ribs and strakes, the engine beds went from stern to bow, about 10x4" the hull was about 1/2" thick, and the topsides about 1/4" As I say the only drawback on ours was the machinery, the outdrive was simply not up the engine power/torque, and failed constantly. also the tiller was outboard and the hole in the transom was at water level, this had to be modified, at rest we took on water, I had the feeling that she had been designed for a lighter petrol engine. Would not hesitate to have another one but knowing what I have learned a close inspection of she is powered and driven would be made, if outdrive no way!!
bluefox.jpg

gordmac

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, seems like people who had them liked them!
It is About Time I am looking at, do you know her? Twin Ford diesels on shafts so no legs to worry about. She has been ashore for a few years but has had a bit of interior work done.
Outside not too tidy, not too space efficient either but would do what I want I think.
Not too sure how to do the pm bit but I will try to figure it out!

Tremlett 15

Visit site
Hi gordmac, great boats these Tremletts, the one you are looking at is it GRP or timber ??
I will go & look thro the( original ) brochures that I have, mostly from 1970s, in the back of my mine is that the 28 is a lengthened 21.

T 15

AndieMac

Visit site
I don't know anybody that has had a good run (more than a couple of hundred hours), having a diesel running a sternpower leg. Generally thought of as dogs over here.

gordmac

Visit site
Thanks guys. T15, she is GRP. That is her Omega2, where and when was that picture taken? Do you know anything about her at all? One of the things that puzzles me a bit (not hard to do!) is why the forward deck is flat rather than cabin as the headroom in the berths at the bow is somewhat lacking. Any information would be gratefully received.
I have more or less come to a deal with the owner and will get her surveyed.

Duster

N/A
Visit site
Hi, I know that particular boat fairly well, my boat Percentage is the one in front of it on the picture Omega 2 posted. The picture was taken 3 years ago by my wife at Kilmelford where the boat is now
I type rather slow so if you would like to know some of its history for the last 5 years PM me and I will give you my phone number and i may be able to fill in some detail.
I think that Omega 2 knows some of its earlier history.
What sort of use had you in mind for the boat?
regards mikej

Tremlett 15

Visit site
Hi gordmac, sorry for delay but a wee bit busy, I have been thro all my Tremlett brochures which are all early 70s, no 28ft listed in them, these would have been around the time he was changing from timber to GRP. The boats list are "the new 21 Sportsman" which I am told by all I have spoken to, that owned one , are very good boats.The other GRPs are 36 > 50 foot, so there seems to be a gap between 21' > 36' during say 1973 > say 1980??, maybe Tranona could give some more info, ( will try to post some photos but only new to the layout of this forum). I have always been told that the GRP hulls were good in heavy seas but like Tranona says many were fitted out by DIY/others so the internal finish is not always what it should be, it was only about a month ago that I said the same thing to someone about the "finish" on another forum.

The "good" & the "bad", its hard to says, I have been told of alot of engine/drive problems with them BUT was this due to them being driven too hard thro heavy seas??

Tremletts made their name in the 60s/early 70s with the hot moulded hulls via racing, our first was a raceboat 1972/73ish & T15 we have had since 1973, we bought both as stage 1 hulls & cold moulded the deck, transom & o/b well on them & then finish the fitout.
I am in a classic speedboat club in England and the timber hulled Tremletts are well sought after( currently we have 5 or 6 in the club 14' > 21' ) I have a waiting list to buy my mine!!
Cardiff_CMBA_07_1741.jpg

Sorry I cant be any more help to you, but most of the others have said what I would be saying too, I will be sending you a PM re this too...

T 15

Tremlett 15

Visit site
While we are on the subject of Tremletts, some photos ( trying out posting )

The Tremlett that inspired us to buy Tremlett hulls to fit out
950_GetAttachment.jpg

Our first Tremlett, a Class 3A racebost ( 1972 )

900_IMG_00052.jpg

Tremlett 15, our second, built in 1973 which we still use today.
CardiffCMBA07177-1.jpg

Cardiff_CMBA_07_4781-1.jpg

Cardiff_CMBA_07_4831-1.jpg