Travel insurance between boat and UK

geem

Visit site
Any tips for a travel policy to cover baggage, flight delays etc when flying home from the boat? We will have been aboard for a year so just need a policy that covers the return trip. Small print on the normal policies says I have to be in the UK. It assumes an outward bound flight then return to UK. These policies don't cover us

Tranona

Visit site
Don't blame them! I spent most of my working life travelling all round the world and only once needed to make a claim (on work insurance) for being snowbound in Khazakstan and being forced to buy another ticket to meet a schedule. Claim failed because of the difficulty of getting sufficient information about the weather situation to meet the insurers very restrictive conditions. Privately also travelled a lot and never insured except once for a month's stay in New Zealand when I was not in the best of health. Nearly £1k (for 2 of us) and of course never claimed.

PlanB

Visit site
I spent a lot of effort researching travel cover a few years ago.
Basically, you usually have to be a resident of the country in which you are taking out the insurance, and the journey has to start in that country.
So while living aboard in Spain (under the radar, as it were) it was not possible to get insurance for any of our European holidays.
We just relied on the personal property extension to our boat insurance policy and crossed our fingers for the rest.

ashtead

Visit site
For retail travel insurance the risk is located where you the policyholder are located. An insurer must be authorised to write cover in that territory. If however you have cover under the terms of your card generally that is a NAC policy where the card provider or bank is the policyholder and you are a beneficiary . It’s much like structure offered for employees health cover taken out by the employer. Hence by taking out a card you might find it offers travel insurance as a benefit.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
For retail travel insurance the risk is located where you the policyholder are located. An insurer must be authorised to write cover in that territory. If however

Whenever I book Ryan, Easy or Jet 2 to return from Portugal, I always have the option of booking their travel insurance along with the flight, makes no difference that I'm on a UK passport and they don't ask where I'm resident.