Transom hung tender obstructs stern light

cpedw

Visit site
I've found it generally convenient to keep the inflatable tender strapped to the transom when under way. The one drawback is after dark as the tender completely obscures the stern light. Now there are various ways round this (e.g. change to towing, use the masthead tri or white as appropriate, don't sail after dark - it's very rare that I do) but I think it would be useful to keep the stern light useable.

Can anyone recommend an easily implemented DIY way to raise the light about 400mm, which is 200mm above the pushpit rail, that a ham-fisted operator could achieve. It would need to be sturdy as the normal boarding route is via the transom and it could seem like a useful handhold to the unwary.

Here are a couple of photos of the current arrangement.
20191202_123734s.jpg20191202_123653s.jpg

Visit site
I've found it generally convenient to keep the inflatable tender strapped to the transom when under way. The one drawback is after dark as the tender completely obscures the stern light. Now there are various ways round this (e.g. change to towing, use the masthead tri or white as appropriate, don't sail after dark - it's very rare that I do) but I think it would be useful to keep the stern light useable.

Can anyone recommend an easily implemented DIY way to raise the light about 400mm, which is 200mm above the pushpit rail, that a ham-fisted operator could achieve. It would need to be sturdy as the normal boarding route is via the transom and it could seem like a useful handhold to the unwary.

View attachment 82125View attachment 82126

Rail mount on the pushpit, if high enough. Sternlights don't need to be exactly central to be effective, and I bet the Colregs say 'as near central as practicable' or somesuch.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I would get a piece of stainless tube the same dia as your push pit up to the height required and clamp it to the push pit with some of the available clamps. The stern light can then be clamped to the top of the tube. the wires can be extended and tun up the inside of the new tube and connected to the stern light.

https://www.google.co.za/search?biw...&ved=0ahUKEwj915yEz5fmAhUEilwKHYEwAQ0Q4dUDCAc

Or even intersecting hose clamps.

Refueler

Visit site
Instead of mounting on rails ... stainless tube mastlets etc.

Guy I knew with same problem had a second stern light that he basically clipped to the dinghy when stowed and a wandering lead he plugged in. No need for mountings / pipes / etc.
All you need to do is create a plug in point for the power.

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
I have a similar problem; I have re-allocated the stern light, offset, on the wind turbine post. However, you can attach a short stainless steel tube on the pushpit and fit a stern light on it; it will be high enough to be seen.

William_H

Visit site
I would recommend the SS tube extension idea. It might seem vulnerable to be used as a hand hold but actually I think you will find it is a huge help in climbing back onto the boat to have a high hand hold. Even one each side. ol'will

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I've found it generally convenient to keep the inflatable tender strapped to the transom when under way.
I carry the dinghy on the foredeck underway on passages less than 24 hours, might be worth experimenting with?

A previous owner fitted a pole with a radar on the transom, brillant, but it obscures our stern light, not such a brilliant idea. A job this winter is to move the stern light halfway up the radar pole.

Quandary

Visit site
I carry my Avon across the transom, and have the same problem, it is so convenient to launch and recover I would be very reluctant to move it, I am rarely under way after dark, the summer days up here are very long, but if I am we have a white anchor light which is normally hung from the boom to light the cockpit, it is a simple matter to lower it down a bit behind the dinghy. The lead goes to a 12v plug in the cockpit locker.

(wot Refueler said in post 4)

johnalison

Visit site
I carry my Avon across the transom, and have the same problem, it is so convenient to launch and recover I would be very reluctant to move it, I am rarely under way after dark, the summer days up here are very long, but if I am we have a white anchor light which is normally hung from the boom to light the cockpit, it is a simple matter to lower it down a bit behind the dinghy. The lead goes to a 12v plug in the cockpit locker.

(wot Refueler said in post 4)
That might be OK a far as luminosity but it is unlikely that the cut-off would meet regulations exactly unless you took steps to ensure this, perhaps by mounting it on a board.

Old Bumbulum

Visit site
Can you mount a board to bridge the gap between the two branches of your split backstay at around head height?
That was my first thought too.

Dangling a light on a wanderlead over the dinghy or similar is never going to achieve the required curoffs, a demountable pole would need to be keyed to ensure the same.

You asked for something anyone can rig up - a board acrosss the backstays fits that requirement perfectly, there is no alignment to do except to mount it on a wedge so it shines close to horizontally.
Job's a good'un!

Quandary

Visit site
Well, that is me told off, but my Avon has a soft floor so depending on the pressure in the tubes which tension it, it is always easy to set the angles of visibility with the precision demanded. That Is why I always take straight edge, protractor and tablet calculator on board with me. Strangely in the area where I sail after dark it is difficult to find another craft to provide the required confirmation that my arrangement has not confused them. I do meet fishing boats occasionally but they seem oddly disinterested in the precision of the cut offs in my nav. lights.

scotty123

Visit site

View attachment 82125View attachment 82126

Get a bike light & attach to backstay.