Transat Jacques Vabre 2015

TOKOLOSHI

Visit site
The Ultime trimaran of Lionel Lemonchois and Roland Jourdain has capsized while they were 140 miles off La Coruna

Terrible bad luck , crew all ok

The Ultime trimaran of Lionel Lemonchois and Roland Jourdain has capsized while they were 140 miles off La Coruna. The two co-skippers are safe and have taken shelter inside the trimaran. They have not requested assistance and their technical team is making every effort to organise help to rescue them and their vessel. At the time of the incident the boat was upwind in 20 to 25kts of SSW’ly wind.

I would have thought they could weather 20-25 knots of wind! Going too fast? any answers yet?

Woodlouse

Visit site
The Ultime trimaran of Lionel Lemonchois and Roland Jourdain has capsized while they were 140 miles off La Coruna. The two co-skippers are safe and have taken shelter inside the trimaran. They have not requested assistance and their technical team is making every effort to organise help to rescue them and their vessel. At the time of the incident the boat was upwind in 20 to 25kts of SSW’ly wind.

I would have thought they could weather 20-25 knots of wind! Going too fast? any answers yet?
It could conceivably have been a gear failure which prevented them from dropping the traveller when overpowered but the multihulls capsize all the time in this race just because they're pushing so hard. Remember that a 20-25 knot headwind will be more like 40 knots apparent for boats like that.

flaming

Visit site
Did make me laugh when in a pre race video they reffered to the difference between the foil assisted boats and the "traditional" boats.

Yep, those canting keeled, wing masted, twin daggerboard, water ballasted traditional boats....

Shame to see the foil boats dropping out due to reliability though, I think a lot of people (not least the sailors) were really looking forward to seeing how they went in this race. Still 2 in the race, and they're in touch, so it could still be interesting.

Woodlouse

Visit site
Did make me laugh when in a pre race video they reffered to the difference between the foil assisted boats and the "traditional" boats.

Yep, those canting keeled, wing masted, twin daggerboard, water ballasted traditional boats....

Shame to see the foil boats dropping out due to reliability though, I think a lot of people (not least the sailors) were really looking forward to seeing how they went in this race. Still 2 in the race, and they're in touch, so it could still be interesting.
It's a pity the attrition rate has been so high with these new 60's. They've clearly got s lot of work to get through before the vender next year.

Foolish Muse

Visit site
It's a pity the attrition rate has been so high with these new 60's.

I think you just have to look at the design of the daggerboard/foil combination to see something that is inherently fragile. It seems to me that they are trying to literally lift the boat out of the water, a la the Americas Cup multis. They would be better off to use the more traditional (referring to Flaming's post #7 above) DSS foil sticking out the side of the hull. Those foils only lift the boat slightly, and actually smooth the ride a whole bunch. But the new foils on the 60's seem to bounce the boat up and down a lot. Of course this would require a rule change to allow for the extra appendages, but I don't see any reason why that wouldn't be done.

flaming

Visit site
I think you just have to look at the design of the daggerboard/foil combination to see something that is inherently fragile. It seems to me that they are trying to literally lift the boat out of the water, a la the Americas Cup multis. They would be better off to use the more traditional (referring to Flaming's post #7 above) DSS foil sticking out the side of the hull. Those foils only lift the boat slightly, and actually smooth the ride a whole bunch. But the new foils on the 60's seem to bounce the boat up and down a lot. Of course this would require a rule change to allow for the extra appendages, but I don't see any reason why that wouldn't be done.

As you say, it means a rule change, they are allowed a maximum of 5 moveable appendages. So a keel, 2 boards and 2 rudders. The mustache foils are a result of a foil that needs to be both a lifting foil and a lateral, anti leeway, foil.
As I understand it the Open 60 rules are fixed after each Vendee for the 4 year cycle before the next Vendee. My guess is they may well decide that they want to revisit this part of the rule after the vendee, though obviously not before.

flaming

Visit site
I think you just have to look at the design of the daggerboard/foil combination to see something that is inherently fragile.

Also, just been posted on SA, but it's starting to look like it's not the foils, but the novel new stringer arrangement that the new boats are using that is causing the issues.

Foolish Muse

Visit site
but the novel new stringer arrangement that the new boats are using that is causing the issues.

Yes, that's why I mentioned the bouncing that the boats are undergoing. I think it's the bouncing that is causing the structural damage to the hulls/stringers. The traditional DSS foil out the side reduces bouncing, but when I'm looking at the new 60s videos, this foil on the bottom bottom seems to increase the bouncing. It seems they are trying to lift the boat right out of the water, rather than just lift it a few inches as the DSS is designed to do.

flaming

Visit site
Yes, that's why I mentioned the bouncing that the boats are undergoing. I think it's the bouncing that is causing the structural damage to the hulls/stringers. The traditional DSS foil out the side reduces bouncing, but when I'm looking at the new 60s videos, this foil on the bottom bottom seems to increase the bouncing. It seems they are trying to lift the boat right out of the water, rather than just lift it a few inches as the DSS is designed to do.

Have you seen the video interview that Anarchy did with Alex Thompson? They touch on that subject, and Alex's opinion was that the slamming is less than the traditional boats as the foil cushions the blow a bit. Still says they have to back off though.

Another interesting observation is that retirements due to gear failure are higher in 2 handed events, due to pushing that little bit harder. Maybe a factor?

Still, currently the only foil boat left has taken the lead and is sailing a knot or two faster in the same conditions, so I guess the emphasis is likely to be on beefing up the boat one way or another!

Foolish Muse

Visit site
When I interviewed Hugh Welbourn he explained that the foil was certainly designed to dampen bouncing. But when In looking at the 60s videos I'm seeing 3/4 of the boat out of the water at some points. Perhaps what we are seeing in the TJV is the difference between near-shore testing and off-shore racing? I know with my own 30' ultralight boat, on the rare occasions that it comes out of the water, it slams down pretty darned hard. Rattles my bones and my teeth. Can you imagine what it would be like for one of these 60s to launch into the air out of a 30 foot wave in the Southern Ocean? Thank heavens carbon is light. They'll have to beef up the boats an awful lot.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site