Trailer Sailor - Training and size

Seajet

Visit site
And as with ALL boats one goes to look at, try laying down on the bunks, one simply cannot tell just by looking, or even with a tape measure, if a bunk will be comfortable and if say one's head ends up below one's feet...

GeeW

Visit site
Following on from Seajet's advice ..also sit on a bunk (where you would sit for a couple of hours say during the evening) after ten minutes you'll get a good idea of whether you actually can..ditto sitting in or out a cockpit.
Assuming each crew member will have a holdall for their weekend away, where will that stow ...ditto sleeping bags.. etc etc
see Post titled 'loading plan' for our little ComPac about half way down

http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=8427.75

Last edited:

pij27

Visit site
Anyone know of a good boat or ones to be avoided? Also what should i look at when viewing a second hand boat? Also, does anyone know of a good sailing club to join on the isle of Wight? I will also be looking for a training course for keelboat sailing, anyone any experience of local courses?

Visit site
Do a dinghy sailing course, will teach you the basics you need for sailing. If you want to try out trailer sailing, and are willing to hop on the ferry you are welcome to borrow our 12ft Torch - on a trailer. easy to launch and recover, a stable learning platform.
We have been dedicated trailer sailors for a long time, but took the plunge and got moorings only this month. I must say it is very much less effort - but we still get out in a dinghy off a slipway too, just because it is easier geographically too to start somewhere in the vicinity of where you want to go. Launching a larger boat is harder work once the novelty wears off.
Our preferred slipway near our house costs us 4.50 each time we park, at least twice a week. Our mooring is only 80 a month and a lot less effort.
Please feel free to take up the offer, I can meet you at the red funnel terminal in Southampton, or for the cost of a pub lunch we could probably bring it over to you - I have a relative who works for Red Funnel ;-)

Cookie Jar

Visit site
I can give you my 2cents after having spent a long time on this too:
After selling "Cookie Jar", my 6m open daysailer, I was exhaustively looking for one with a lid... (tough requirements with my limited funds, modest towing vehicle and with wife and daughters wanting a bigger boat), but after a lot of research I closed the deal on a Dehler Varianta 65. Here’s mine:

IMG_20171015_131814 (1).jpg IMG_20171021_125437 (1).jpg

Nothing bad to say about it so far. Nice accommodation for the size, relatively light weight, a (German) very active and helpful owners association and (personally) no complaints on performance either.... but then again some would prefer a faster boat for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_20171015_131814.jpg
    IMG_20171015_131814.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20171021_125437.jpg
    IMG_20171021_125437.jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 1
Visit site
I can give you my 2cents after having spent a long time on this too:
After selling "Cookie Jar", my 6m open daysailer, I was exhaustively looking for one with a lid... (tough requirements with my limited funds, modest towing vehicle and with wife and daughters wanting a bigger boat), but after a lot of research I closed the deal on a Dehler Varianta 65. Here’s mine:

View attachment 67160 View attachment 67161

Nothing bad to say about it so far. Nice accommodation for the size, relatively light weight, a (German) very active and helpful owners association and (personally) no complaints on performance either.... but then again some would prefer a faster boat for sure.

hi chap, do you launch off the trailer or have it hoisted?

Cookie Jar

Visit site
No, my trailer (and car) is not really suitable for that, although the original trailers that came with the Varianta 65 had an independent "Dolly wheel thingy" that rolled on top of the trailer itself. That could be launched virtually with any car or even by hand. Here´s a pic from the original brochure:

Varianta trailer.JPG

And the link to the brochure itself:
http://varianta24.de/varianta65-Prospekt.pdf

I pay for the crane, but since last year I keep a fixed mooring so it´s hoisting in in April and out in October. Winter in my garage.

This year (hopefully) I may also tow it to Croatia for one week... :D

Visit site
No, my trailer (and car) is not really suitable for that, although the original trailers that came with the Varianta 65 had an independent "Dolly wheel thingy" that rolled on top of the trailer itself. That could be launched virtually with any car or even by hand. Here´s a pic from the original brochure:

View attachment 67167

And the link to the brochure itself:
http://varianta24.de/varianta65-Prospekt.pdf

I pay for the crane, but since last year I keep a fixed mooring so it´s hoisting in in April and out in October. Winter in my garage.

This year (hopefully) I may also tow it to Croatia for one week... :D

thanks for that, interesting set up

RobF

Visit site
Anyone know of a good boat or ones to be avoided? Also what should i look at when viewing a second hand boat? Also, does anyone know of a good sailing club to join on the isle of Wight? I will also be looking for a training course for keelboat sailing, anyone any experience of local courses?

I think MrMing has noted most of the obvious choices of boat (although I would probably add the Pippin20 to the list). Problem is that the good boats tend to be the popular boats which tend to command reasonable prices. I used to own a Red Fox which was a great boat - with superb accommodation for a 20footer. However, you'll be unlikely to find a good one for less than £10k.

pij27

Visit site
If went down the small yacht, non trailable, route would this make a better selection. Either look at a bilge keel or fin, there are a number of moorings for small yachts around the isle of wight, where I hope to moor the boat. But think will need to have finances in place and then just visit a number of yards, advert sites and go through a shortlist and progress from there.

pij27

Visit site
After spending time looking for a mooring, now need to look for a yacht which can take to the mud or dry out. So looking for a lifting centreboard or bilge keel. When trying to find a mooring around island limited to drying out or going on a large waiting list for a floating mooring or berth. So any good ideas of a small yacht for day and weekend sailing for one or two?

Daydream believer

Visit site
I read your first post & immediately thought of the Hawk. One of our club members has one, Tows it behind a Volvo & launches in a few inches of water on the beach off a break back trailer. Sails it with one, sometimes up to four. Cruises day sails but I believe they now do one with a small berth & heads. have not seen one though. He often leaves it on a mooring & it survives bad weather. It sails fast & they have an active assn. They can be class raced so one can develop them further if one wants to move up a notch for fun. Excellent sea boat. I expect they can dry out OK but any boat will get spoiled doing that.
Suggest that you research class assn & perhaps consider it.

Topcat47

Visit site
Whatever you buy will end up to be the wrong boat. Buy something that has a following so there's a "local market" for it when you want to pass it on. For example, the Swift 18 and it's variants seem very popular up the beaulieu river. You will eventually tire of the cramped cabin space if you habitually weekend on it. In some cases you'll tire of how badly the thing goes. The Jag22 and Dheler 25 both purport to be trailer sailers but I'd not want to be launching and recovering one every time I went sailing, it kind of stops you going for a couple of hours on a fine summers evening. You have a drying marina on your doorstep and looking into keeping a boat there will at least give you an option if you tire of launching and recovery. It's nice to bring the boat home over winter for maintenance though.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I started sailing with a Leisure 17 which I was given. It is nominally a trailer sailer but I never used it as such just launched in April and recovered end of September. As others have said, you can try different areas on a yearly basis. You can pick one up for a few hundred it'll give you a lot of fun and help you decide what sort of sailing appeals to you.

Triassic

Visit site
Whatever you buy will end up to be the wrong boat. Buy something that has a following so there's a "local market" for it when you want to pass it on.

Nothing like a bit of optimism to help you on your way! It's not the wrong boat if it gets you on the water and you enjoy it, ultimately you may find your needs evolve and something else become more suitable, but that doesn't mean you started with the "wrong boat". After all, I wonder just how many people on here are still sailing around in their first boat, apart from me that is...... :)

Incidentally Topcat appears to have completely missed one of the most positive aspects of a trailer sailer, you don't need to worry about the "local" market because they actually travel quite well, the clue is in the name.........

coveman

Visit site
One of the most useful advantages I find of a trailer sailor is that you can bring her home in the winter if you need to work on her, and avoid paying for winter storage - OK I'm lucky I have a barn I can put the boat in where I can fiddle in the dry, but a search around will normally find something similar.

Mine is an Etap 22i which as has already been said, I would not want to launch and recover just for a days sail, but I would be quite confident of taking her by road to different areas for a week or so.

No crane charges either as the boat can be launched/recovered using the trailer

If you go for a trailer sailor be aware of the trailer condition - they do not age as well as the boat and can be an expensive addition to the bill!

Last edited:

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
If you end up with a Leisure 17, which is intended to be trailered stern -first, it is a good idea, if you are attempting to launch off a slipway and are lowering it seaward on the end of a rope, to attach the outboard, move the anchor and chain to the lazarette and stow a couple of drums of water in the cockpit, so as to have plenty of weight aft, to prevent the whole thing upending itself onto its bow.
Don't ask me how I know this. Fortunately the Malahide Sea Scouts saved the day!

pij27

Visit site
does any one have a good list of trailable or small yachts which can easily take to the mud, either lifting or bilge keels?
I have looked at a couple of places on the island for mooring and bembridge has reasonable priced moorings, which dry out at low tide, so need something that can take to the mud and not lean/fall over. Or would consider a simple keelboat which could take to a mooring or be kept in a dinghy park. Not really looking for a dinghy as don't like idea of capsizing.

maxr_r

Visit site
The smaller Cornish Crabbers and Shrimpers take the ground well. The 17, 19, and 21 have shallow hulls with a centreplate. I've seen someone towing a 19 behind a 2 door Toyota Rav4, but I think that may be pushing it - the boat weighs 3300lbs. The Crabber/Shrimper 17 is about 2200lbs towing weight. I had a Hawk 20, which is a great boat to sail with up to 6 adults, but I wouldn't fancy launching it every time I sailed. The mast is deck stepped and something like 28' long, with upper and lower shrouds to tension correctly. Stepping it requires 3 average people, 2 gorillas, or some kind of mast raising frame, and if the wind gets it half way up, you'll need The Force with you!

Daydream believer

Visit site
. I had a Hawk 20, which is a great boat to sail with up to 6 adults, but I wouldn't fancy launching it every time I sailed. The mast is deck stepped and something like 28' long, with upper and lower shrouds to tension correctly. Stepping it requires 3 average people, 2 gorillas, or some kind of mast raising frame, and if the wind gets it half way up, you'll need The Force with you!

Bloke in our club did the lot single handed - you must be a whimp !!!
Grant you on calm days, but rarely had any help.