Trailer rollers

whisper

Visit site
Anyone know of a reasonably priced yet comprehensive scource of same - preferably in the Midlands?
I want to fit some to a concrete slipway to make hauling out easier and kinder to the the boat's keel. I'm not sure what type of roller I need as yet, so would like to see a number of options.
Thanks.

Talbot

Visit site
Are you looking for a solid typr roller which is mounted on the concrete and several of them provide the path for hauling up the vessel ? if so, surely a carriage mounted on solid wheels, and with support on one side for fin keel boats would be a better proposition

homa

Visit site
Try "Towsure"

I buy all my trailer bits from them - very reasonably priced

They do mail order

They have a web site

Cheers

Homa

gjgm

Visit site
stranger.. dont know about reasonable, you tight git!! but SBS should have it all. Anyway, I thought you d probably have some chap doing this launching thing for you these days while you stroll across the lawns?

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
Why not get a secondhand length of industrial rollers, the type mounted in a steel frome which have small dia tubular rollers, ie for rolling boxes, crates etc, and set it in the concrete.

William_H

Visit site
It sounds to me like a huge project. Rollers would be presummably spaced at about .5 metre up a ramp which would have to be very long to cater for tides.ie possibly 100s of rollers. I imagine the industrial types in steel would rust so quickly....
That takes care of the keel but what about supporting the chines?

By far the better arrangement would be a trailer pulled up by either a vehicle or a winch.
If you can't get a trailer of suitable size and shape then a trolley would have the advantage of being lower so needing less water to float the boat onto and less maintenance with no springs brakes etc.

A trolley should have lots of guide posts mounted vertically to make it easy to park the boat on. olewill

Lakesailor

Visit site
Because, as happens on the shore landings on Windermere, when you install them they rust up solid within 6 months.
Then I spend the next 2 years tripping over the sodding things because the people who thought they were a good idea don't think it so great to cart them away to the dump. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

whisper

Visit site
Thanks all, except gjgm that is. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
"Slipway" into the river is made up of concrete "steps" that go down to about a foot under the water - there's then a steep drop down to the river bed.
Steps are about 3ft wide with a 1ft wide smooth concrete slope on either side. My first idea was for the launching trolley arrangement but that wouldn't work because of the drop. Therefore I guess that 3 rubber/nylon keel type rollers spread equally up the steps would suffice. Even better I suppose would be a set of three rollers either side of the centre line of the "slip" that would be high enough off the step so that the hull would run up them without the keel touching the floor.

Why is boating always more work than expected and never cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

gjgm

Visit site
havent really thought this through, but dinghy users sometimes have huge inflatable sausages for rolling over sand. Maybe that could work somehow. Its that last drop into the water that looks like the one that would do damage, doesnt it. Or even something like a railway sleeper on the last step would mean you could haul without damage perhaps.

whisper

Visit site
No, no, too late now, you can't suddenly try and make yourself out as being helpful!!

Actually the vertical drop starts far enough down in the water not to be a problem. The boat is light/bouyant enough for me to lift the bow as far up as the 2nd step. Will be even easier with the weight of the little outboard hanging on the transom.

So it's to the trailer mfrs I must go, when I'm allowed a rest from decorating/carpetting/gardening, that is. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif