Towing a Jeanneau Leader 805

adhdan

Visit site
The way thats attached to the trailer is a disaster waiting to happen with a bit of hard braking it will self launch forward.
Hopefully the police pulled him over
old thread but i want my 20cents :D. the boat on the trailer is harder to shift then you might think, the 2 straps pull from either end back to center, the load cant shift unless a strap breaks. personally i would of had a couple more straps over her because 'why not' but its a safe enough tow

Sianna

Visit site
Specs from my 805 manual :Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 15.54.21.png
I think its right on the limit for towing, they are a great boat though

Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 12.25.25.png

Flyingspanner

Visit site
The only other way to tow bigger and he is using a 5th wheel setup - you can go to 4300kg and you need an older style licence with catorory BE (or take the test) - this is a Saxdor 320 GTO 10.28m OAL x 3.10m Beam with a weight of 3600kg

but it will cost you £££££

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    506.1 KB · Views: 13
  • image.png
    image.png
    415 KB · Views: 13

adhdan

Visit site
Specs from my 805 manual :View attachment 169526
I think its right on the limit for towing, they are a great boat though

View attachment 169527
according to the specs you posted the only trailer ive found that can tow that so far is a stainless steel jobby that can take 2900kg payload. Although 'technically' it is 2" too wide....i wonder if a ratchet strap round the belly could squeeze 50mm out of her :D

adhdan

Visit site
The only other way to tow bigger and he is using a 5th wheel setup - you can go to 4300kg and you need an older style licence with catorory BE (or take the test) - this is a Saxdor 320 GTO 10.28m OAL x 3.10m Beam with a weight of 3600kg

but it will cost you £££££
its frustrating that farmers (me included) can drive up and down roads all day long with 4.5m wide machinery on the back or front or both & loads of 10+ tons with nothing but car license but soon as you want to tow something behind your car its licenses and tests and £££££. Being a farmer is great, soon as your in a in a tractor you can basically do what you want on the road as long as its farming related and no one bats an eye. unfortunately if you stick a boat behind a tractor you dont get far before the old bill says hello, my uncle found that out the hard way, had too make it 2 mile down the road to Burton waters and got pulled after 300yards :ROFLMAO:

Flyingspanner

Visit site
https://powerboatandrib.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Vanclaes-Trailer-Laws.pdf

This is how Power boat and Rib made the legal limits towing an Axopar 28 Cabin - Length was ok, weight was just ok with minimum equipment and fuel/water but the width was over the limit including the overhang, so to reduce the width they removed part of the rubbing strake to make it work ! - I have to say the Van Class trailer looks superb 👍

prestomg27

Visit site
Is it legal? Probably not? is it feasible, absolutely ,we've towed our MF 805 extensively in Ireland without any problems. The MF must be a bit heavier than the Leader.
Of course wouldn't condone breaking the law, wonder what the penalties would be?
It's all ok until it isn't. Have an accident and insurance company deem you uninsured as you have been driving in an unroadworthy condition through being over weight and width limits for uk roads. Then the sh@tstoem starts.

adhdan

Visit site
https://powerboatandrib.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Vanclaes-Trailer-Laws.pdf

This is how Power boat and Rib made the legal limits towing an Axopar 28 Cabin - Length was ok, weight was just ok with minimum equipment and fuel/water but the width was over the limit including the overhang, so to reduce the width they removed part of the rubbing strake to make it work ! - I have to say the Van Class trailer looks superb 👍
looks fancy but if you want to tow a bigger boat lose the tri-axle and dont entertain any extras like the electric winch. If you wanted to take a boat on the edge it be worth stripping everything from the trailer that you can get away.

stelican

Visit site
old thread but i want my 20cents :D. the boat on the trailer is harder to shift then you might think, the 2 straps pull from either end back to center, the load cant shift unless a strap breaks. personally i would of had a couple more straps over her because 'why not' but its a safe enough tow
Please yourself.
I have towed very many boats for thousands of miles without mishap but have seen a few do it doing it wrong.
N.B
Not able to access original photo.Just reviewed photo, Straps are near vertical the boat is no where near the winchpost.
this load no doubt has been towed at up to 60mph on main roads.
I have seen the end result of a strap breaking with the boat travelling at speed along a A34 minus the trailer.
It's not bales of hay with a tractor chugging along a country lane!

Last edited:

ari

Visit site
It's all ok until it isn't. Have an accident and insurance company deem you uninsured as you have been driving in an unroadworthy condition through being over weight and width limits for uk roads. Then the sh@tstoem starts.
Exactly this! Getting away with stuff is fine until something goes wrong (that might not even be your fault). If it's serious then questions get asked that you don't have the right answers to, things that were not your fault become your fault, your insurance company washes their hands and you are in a world of legal and financial sh1t.

Never worth the risk.

ari

Visit site
Nick (Aquaholic) Burnham did have a video of his Leader 805 being delivered, it was partially tilted on it's side on the trailer to reduce it's width, it still was on a low loader trailer towed by a LGV (HGV) with 5th wheel
If it's on a truck, you wouldn't need to tilt it. Boats far bigger than an 805 Leader get delivered on trucks all the time, they don't tilt them.

Alicatt

Visit site
If it's on a truck, you wouldn't need to tilt it. Boats far bigger than an 805 Leader get delivered on trucks all the time, they don't tilt them.
I think it was to do with the narrow streets where it was going to be launched, it has been a bit of time since I watched the video, the boat was definitely at an angle on the low loader

ari

Visit site
I think it was to do with the narrow streets where it was going to be launched, it has been a bit of time since I watched the video, the boat was definitely at an angle on the low loader
I was curious about this (as the only boats I've ever seen transported at an angle have been very wide offshore powerboat racing catamarans) so I searched out the video you mentioned, and doesn't seem to me to be tilted at all.

It is indeed on a truck though, and not on a trailer (to circle back to the subject of this thread).

Alicatt

Visit site
I was curious about this (as the only boats I've ever seen transported at an angle have been very wide offshore powerboat racing catamarans) so I searched out the video you mentioned, and doesn't seem to me to be tilted at all.

It is indeed on a truck though, and not on a trailer (to circle back to the subject of this thread).

Memory is fallible I guess, it has been a while since I seen it