Toulon to Nice

Cygnet

Visit site
Begging forgiveness, I'm not actually a liveaboard!

The intention was good when I set sail from Torquay, but now I am back in England while my Sygnet 20 is in a marina in Toulon.

I would like to sail closer to Nice, ideally Antibes, but given that I only ever manage about 4 or 5 days away at a time, I can't take the chance of not finding a marina at reasonable cost that will allow me to leave the boat there for up to a couple of months before my next visit.

I'd be really grateful if any of you with local knowledge would help me out with recommending a suitable place that would accept a 20 footer. Ideally I'd like to sort out the arrangements before I set sail, which will be at the beginning of Feb 2003.

I don't speak any French that doesn't require my hands to point with - i.e. telephoning, other than to speak to someone who speaks English is not a good plan!

Thanks,

Mat

Andrew_B

Visit site
Hi Mat

I live in Marines de Cogolin (Next to St Tropez) where I berth my 34ft Hunter.
I know there is absolutely nothing available for boats over 10m x 3.2m but I think there may be berths available for rent for 8m x 2.5m (including fenders).
Let me know if you need any more info.

Andrew

Cygnet

Visit site
Hi Andrew,

Not wishing to impose to much on your offer for further info..... but!

Is there any problem getting to the nearest airport (which I think is St Tropez Airport - or maybe Toulon?), or back to Nice? Also, is there anyone there who speaks English who I could call to check on availability and price. If not, should you speak to the Capitanarie could you ask the question please??

The boat is 6.05m long, about 2.2m wide and draws 0.6m on bilge keels.

I'm looking to arrive about 8th Feb 2003 and would intend to leave the boat there until about May 2003.

Should I end up there I'll buy you a beer!

Cheers,

Mat

summerwind

Visit site
Mat

Sorry I can't help with the information you are requesting but I am interested to hear how you got your boat to the Med.

Did you sail her down there around Gib, through the canals or on a truck.

BTW, I am currently based in Kingswear.

Best wishes

Tony C

Andrew_B

Visit site
Mat

Nearest real airport is Toulon where I think Buzz or Go fly to.This is about an hour away by car but I am not sure about public transport.
Next nearest is Nice where most of the budget airlines fly to.From airport there is a navette to the train station.Any train heading west can drop you at St Raphael where you can get a bus along the coast which stops 200m from marina.
The staff in the marina speak english but I can find the telephone number though I think they have a web site.
Let me know if you need any more info.

Andrew

Cygnet

Visit site
Hi Tony,

The journey started in May 2002 in Torquay, to St Malo via the channel islands, through the canals to cut the corner off Brittany, down to Port Bloc and the intention was to go through the canals to the med. The reality was that I ran out of time and didn't think it feasible to leave the boat on the canals for weeks at a time while I returned to England - so that's where a French lorry came in handy. They broke the mast in half and I'm still fighting a losing battle on that one. I've temporarily repaired the mast now with a wooden core and it seems OK, albeit 4cm shorter!

I'm looking forward to the summer and sailing in the med - no tides, clear warm water and sun - a far cry from what the west coast of France was like on the way down.

My parents have a boat in Kingswear - 35' ketch (bit like a colvic I think) called Tamalin.

Going down on 14th Feb for the weekend with the folks for a sail. Hope it won't be too cold!

Mat

Cygnet

Visit site
Thanks Andrew,

I've just sent an email and made a note of telephone number.

Hopefully I'll sail over with my girlfriend on about the 8th Feb. I hope to show her sailing on a 20 foot boat isn't all about being thrown all over the place and sea sickness. She had 14 hours of continuous terror the last she joined me on the way to Royan!

Thanks for all your help.

If I do get there I'll buy you that beer.

Mat

Sybarite

Visit site
My boat used to be based in Toulon. Too long ago to give you any useful advice in detail about moorings. The airport is at Hyères.

Just check the weather forecast before you go sailling in February with your friend. Like anywhere else the the wind can be strong ( Mistral) and you don't want to put her off for life.

Visit Porquerolles and Port Cros on the way past. Well worth it.

John

tcm

Visit site
hi cygnet

20 footer - sounds perfect for dry mooring. Had you considered this? Repco in marines de cogolin is a brit and can help out, also the largets in europe is Port a Sec in Mandelieu/ la Napoule near Cannes. Monster fortklifts hoick them into the sea, and out again at the end, and stackem up behind locked gates. 8 miles from Nice airport.

Incidentally, in the season, the game is to avoid staying in the sweaty expensive marinas overnight - anchor out in the bays of st tropez, villefranche, antibes, iles de lerins. Magic stuff.

tcm

Visit site
it's at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.port-inland.com>http://www.port-inland.com</A>

note that you need to be able to get under that bridge - means nipping off elsewhere (loads of marinas) for stepping/unstepping. Givem a call.

Haven't got a number for repco.

Cygnet

Visit site
Thanks for all the good advice. My plan is to get to Cogolin in a couple of days and then to hop along coast as you suggest. With a twenty footer, two people can put the mast up or take it down while floating without a crane - you just have to make sure that no-one is in swiping distance; there have to be some advantages to compensate for the four foot headroom!

Mat

cynthia

Visit site
Don't miss the Isles d'Hyere - don't know where you live, but the newest cheap airline is Jet2 flying from Leeds/Bradford to Nice. Not sure how the prices compare yet.