Torsa no longer an island

D

Deleted member 36384

Nothing to do with grazing cows. The illegal causeay is to allow shooters across to shoot grouse.

Thanks for posting this and your other post. Incredible behaviour by the landowner and the council if it is retrospectively approved.

Quandary

Visit site
I have been monitoring the list of Planning applications in the 'Squeak' ( calls itself the Argyllshire Advertiser) and have not seen a notice for this work . If I do I will publish the application number on here so it will be easy for anyone to go to ABCs website and offer their support or opposition. Perhaps other subscribers to the paper might do the same in case I miss it.
Are we sure a Planning Application is needed?

Anyone raised this with WHAM?

123QUWERTY

Visit site
Yes. They are aware and will take issue when it comes up for planning. To be fair to the grouse estate, they did offer to reduce the causway to allow the ebb but unbelievably Argyle and Bute Council in their infinite wisdom forbade them from touching the blockage until it goes to planning.
The great danger is our wise and wonderful planning councillors could APPROVE this monstrous and ugly construction so please all you friends of Ardinamir write to your map, local councilors and more importantly object to the planning application when it arrives.

D

Deleted member 36384

Who, or what, is the “grouse estate” entity, that should be referred to in any letter.

JVL

Visit site
Nothing to do with grazing cows. The illegal causeay is to allow shooters across to shoot grouse.
I would doubt very much that Grouse inhabit the Island , maybe a few pheasant and partridge, introduced! Though that can in no way justify this construction.

John

seafox67

Visit site
I think he's one of the young sons! Moved up from London about 4 years ago... Maybe, like he said in the newspaper article, he was a bit naive! Hopefully Marine Scotland will deal with this in a positive manner as the decision to keep the causeway in its current state could potential open up the 'flood gates' to other landowners stating the outcome on this!

SaltIre

Visit site

Partner, Cadzow Brothers, Isle of Luing since Jan 2017 according to his LinkedIn profile. Based in Argyllshire.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/archie-cadzow-9a000041/?originalSubdomain=uk

Archie Cadzow (@archiecadzow) • Instagram photos and videos

Mrs Tooti Cadzow, Ardlarach House, Isle of Luing

Last edited:

123QUWERTY

Visit site
Just a correction to my earlier post. The sound is not completely blocked. At high water springs the flow tumbles over the causeway which then acts as a Weir dropping 4 feet with very disturbed water to the south below the "Weir". This could easily cause small craft to tumble and be swamped.

123QUWERTY

Visit site
I would doubt very much that Grouse inhabit the Island , maybe a few pheasant and partridge, introduced! Though that can in no way justify this construction.

John
Sorry John. I'm not a bird expert. You are most likely correct about it being pheasant and partidge who now infest Luing in large numbers. Poor souls are not in their natural habitat and are wandering about in stupified confusion!

SaltIre

Visit site
Just a correction to my earlier post. The sound is not completely blocked. At high water springs the flow tumbles over the causeway which then acts as a Weir dropping 4 feet with very disturbed water to the south below the "Weir". This could easily cause small craft to tumble and be swamped.
An option for planning would be to demand that a culvert be established in the causeway to allow tidal flow but depending on size this wouldn't facilitate navigation. I'm not suggesting it, but it would be better than blocking it completely. Something to be aware of...

SaltIre

Visit site
Sorry John. I'm not a bird expert. You are most likely correct about it being pheasant and partidge who now infest Luing in large numbers. Poor souls are not in their natural habitat and are wandering about in stupified confusion!
The link in #46 is about partridge & pheasant. Shooting is on Luing - 200 fowl and ducks in the bag in a weekend is hoped for...
Also has an image of a dead deer.
1634034807902.png
Isle of Luing Shoot
1634034900105.png

seafox67

Visit site
He just might be ignorant, or is this opinion from experience.
I don't know him personally, but I suspect he's just a keen young lad trying to build his business and rushed into something before taking advice from more experienced people! My focus is on what Marine Scotland do next. They are the 'experts' and are there to look after the wide range of interests concerning this issue!

Archie has stated publicly, if Marine Scotland say he did wrong then he will remove it!
Personally (I am a little older than Archie)... as a business owner, I would be weighing up the negative impact on my business against the benefit of building this road! and remove the work, take lots of photos and get some free positive advertising in the Oban newspaper! Maybe eat a little humble pie!

Let's hope Marine Scotland make the correct decision in a timely manner rather than hope it will just 'go away'!

Last edited:

123QUWERTY

Visit site
Yes, because letting people do what they like is totally what should be done. :rolleyes:

That makes no sense at all, cattle can swim perfectly well and did swim from many of the inner Hebrides to the mainland when it was time to take them to market.
The causway is not for cattle or sheep but to expand the shooting estate which occupies much of Luing's once virgin landscape.

seafox67

Visit site
Are Torsa's owners planning to permit Mr Cadzow to have shooting parties on their land?
I believe that Cadzow brothers already have the shooting rights for Luing so maybe that might include the rights to Torsa but have not used it due to limited access!

I feel sorry for the business that runs the holiday cottage on Torsa! They promote it as a secluded island retreat... Now they will have to suffer the disruption of shooting parties which can sound like a war zone!