Torquay to Salcombe

martin

Visit site
So plans for transport to Torquay complete. Will be there from 9th July. Anyone got any tips for first trip to Salcome...or fancy a run out during the week?

G

That's where they have a sand bar (ie shallow bit) and you have to wait for high enuf tide and follow buoyage markers carefully. Need dinghy or water taxi when hanging off the white buoys. Fowey nearby recommended also.

G

Re: not tricky

..just need a pilot book like macmillans. It's only big-draught sailboats that have a prob, I think. Anyway, Dartmouth is easy peasy, no sand bars at all, and v pretty. But don't miss salcombe. Or praps get boat trucked over? Much better ;-)

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Re: not tricky much!!

Salcolmbe is quite easy but with a bad reputation largly unwarented. I've been there about four times this year and
probabley about twenty times in the last three.
Its hardly a trip from Torquay but anyway.
No chart infront of me but here go's.
In most weather's that you are likley to be out in, Salcolmbe
is no problem.
Just avoid force 7 or 8 from South'ish and low tide.
Other than that its easiest when going into bay to head for the west end of bay before heading in. Pick up the transit marks on the hill and just steer down them keeping well to the west.
Then pick up the green buoy and keep it to Starboard then follow the river round.
Or forget all that as long as the tide is not right at the bottom and on worst day of year and force eight. Just follow all the kids and other boats cos there will be about three million of them, but best to go round the green buoy.
Then get on channel 14 for the harbour master, who will find you a buoy and tie yer boat to it if you ask. Then water taxi on 12 or dinghy to Salcombe. You can put the boat on town pontoon but only for an hour or so. Theres a diesel barge.
and the town is like a little version of Dartmouth but better.
Kids seem to love it and theres loads of little beaches.

Mind you I once went out over the bar in a force 6 and stood the boat on its transom then lost the whole fore cabin and galley under the waves for about an hour and a half before they surfaced but thats another story!!

Haydn

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Check tides going round Start Point, runs like b#####d at at full flow. Either take the inner passage if seas are calm or keep off 3 or 4 miles to avoid the Skerries. Salcombe is no real problem to enter unless you have a strong wind from South against the ebb. Try to plan to get there on the flood at least a few hours after low water, this should ensure no problems.
Salcombe is beautiful and the beaches are definitely the best around. Well worth the trip. Further down the coast pop into Polperro for a few hours, one of my favourite places, on the way to Fowey, also well worth the trip. As you will be passing I also recommend the Yealm which has the reputation of being the prettiest river in England. Another favourite spot is just off Burgh Island. Anchor up and take the dinghy ashore for a lazy pint or two at the Pilchard Inn - you can't miss it.
Going the other way is my home river of Exmouth, watch out for Pole sands, head for the East Exe fairway buoy and just follow the cans (look out for Blue Fisher, first mooring after the trawlers on your port side, just off Dawlish Warren.) Trip up to the Turf inn at the start of the ship canal is good. Topsham is well worth the trip with new pontoons going in right now at Trouts so plenty of space to stay a day or two. Trouts are very helpful and Topsham a real delight, plenty of good pubs and restaurants.
Towards the middle of Lyme Bay you have Lyme regis which I also rate either for a lunchtime stop or overnight on one of the visitors buoys (but only if you have settled weather and Northerly winds.)
Unfortunately the wife is dragging me off to Spain for two weeks just as you get to Torquay, have a good time and I hope the sun shines.
Regards, John.

martin

Visit site
Thanks for tips... BTW any rower\'s out at sea?

Thanks for the tips...will add them to growing pile of info. Can't wait to open her up and get away from the rowers on the Thames for a couple of months.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Re: Ahh!! But.

Devon and Cornwall is famous for Gig racing!!
But there not the problem.
Now kids in dinghys in Salcolme and July. Thats another
thing but all adds to the fun espesialy if you can hook one round the anchor or davits.

Haydn

duncan

Visit site
a little more care than is obvious is recomended approaching anchorage to the East of Burgh Island.....
Yealm is stunning - but avoid weekends unless you are really busy going nowhere.
Don't miss out on Hope Cove in good weather - anchor well out and dingy in to the beach. Lunch at the Lobster Pot.
Look forward to your 'report on what really happens..........'

G

Re: Ahh!! But.

Dinghys at Salcombe...

And the blasted Salcombe Yawls!

Was rammed by one last year, and the previous year one nearly took my head off whilst swimming, and the year before that a freind's boat was rammed by one - bowsprit went straight thru' the side of the hull.

Look out for the arrogant b******s - little twin masted clinker built boats. Mostly sailed by bankers and traders when they stay down in their second homes.