Torqeedo 603S vs 1003CS

AlexKT7

Visit site
I am considering getting Torqeedo and looking at 603S vs 1003CS models. This is only for use with an INFLATABLE TENDER. Does 2HP vs 3HP make a big difference? Don't want to pay an extra £200 for something that is not going to make big difference. Does anyone have an opinion on this?
thanks

RupertW

Visit site
There's a big difference in the batteries. The 603 only has a 500Wh battery; the 1103 has a 915Wh battery. So the 1103 will have a much better range. Go for the 1103.
In practical terms I’m not sure that will make any difference. Our 1003 was bought when it just had a 500wh battery and we have only once had any range anxiety in 8 years and that was 2 trips in the same day across a mile of choppy bay pushing 4 people in a very heavy 3m rib. So I have not yet considered seriously upgraded to the bigger battery. The issue was the charge time between the trips.

pvb

Visit site
In practical terms I’m not sure that will make any difference. Our 1003 was bought when it just had a 500wh battery and we have only once had any range anxiety in 8 years and that was 2 trips in the same day across a mile of choppy bay pushing 4 people in a very heavy 3m rib. So I have not yet considered seriously upgraded to the bigger battery. The issue was the charge time between the trips.

Your usage may not be in any way similar to the OP's intended usage. My 2014 1003 also has the 520Wh battery, but if I were buying today I'd certainly spend a few quid more to get the bigger battery.

RupertW

Visit site
Your usage may not be in any way similar to the OP's intended usage. My 2014 1003 also has the 520Wh battery, but if I were buying today I'd certainly spend a few quid more to get the bigger battery.
Just £200 more quid isn’t much I agree and I would probably do the same but couldn’t justify on logic unless there is a lot of trips against a current on a long distance each day before it gets recharged from the domestic battery bank.

pvb

Visit site
Just £200 more quid isn’t much I agree and I would probably do the same but couldn’t justify on logic unless there is a lot of trips against a current on a long distance each day before it gets recharged from the domestic battery bank.

There's another benefit, which you haven't mentioned. The larger battery allows the motor to operate at greater power input, which is why Torqeedo list the HP equivalents for the 2 versions as 2HP and 3HP.

Poignard

Visit site
Arthur Beale Ltd are offering a good price on the 1103 today.

Electric Outboards

A few weeks ago they had a sale and were offering 20% off. It might be worth a haggle.

I believe I read somewhere that they are also offering 20% off to Cruising Association members. In which case it would be worth joining the CA as the discount would exceed the membership fee. And you get all the benefits of CA membership.

Supertramp

Visit site
I am considering getting Torqeedo and looking at 603S vs 1003CS models. This is only for use with an INFLATABLE TENDER. Does 2HP vs 3HP make a big difference? Don't want to pay an extra £200 for something that is not going to make big difference. Does anyone have an opinion on this?
thanks
I have used a Torqeedo with the bigger battery as the sole engine on a 17ft trailer sailer for 8 years. Get the bigger battery - after 8 years it will still match the smaller battery in its new state. Like cars, high speeds drain it fast. Also carry a spare shear pin and spanner to remove the prop. Otherwise faultless, clean and light.

Aeolus

Visit site
If you decide to go for the bigger battery, think about an e-propulsion instead of a torqeedo. Works just as well, has a larger battery and a bit cheaper.