Topsides refinish

ian1230_15

Visit site
Hi all,

Anyone have experience of stripping 2 pack epoxy paint from a fibreglass hull without wrecking the gelcoat we need to refinish the topsides but don't want to do damage to old gelcoat...

Thanks

Pasarell

Visit site
For what it's worth it's unlikely to be epoxy on the topsides (unless you know better!). Epoxies have poor UV resistance and gloss retention. More normally 2 pack polyurethanes are used on topsides.
Unless it is flaking or blistered why do you want to remove it? To refurbish you could rub down and recoat. Polyurethanes are quite thin coatings so you won't be adding much weight and any chips can be filled and rubbed down to give a smooth surface before recoating.
If you know it's an epoxy - and it's sound but looking tatty, again I would rub down and recoat with a 2 pack polyurethane. Epoxy will be harder to abrade but it's the safest way to avoid any damage to gelcoat.
Hope this helps

DorsetPete

Visit site
I think trying to remove any kind of two pack finish will be like trying to push water uphill
The previous respondent - Pasarell - is right on the mark.
My ast boat had a blakes two pack paint applied ten years ago and it still buffed up every year to look lik enew.
Good luck

wanderlust

Visit site
We had awlgrip 2 pack poly that had done ten years but needed repainting. We did a number of repairs to impact damage then sanded the two pack back. We used a 2 pack epoxy filler/primer to fill in any blemishes then new 2 pack poly on top. Looks great