Tonneau cover material

GrahamHR

Visit site
I'm using a lot of the same white PVC that Princess use on their new boats.
My original covers lasted about 10 years.
It is really cheap but you have to buy a whole roll (1500mm x 25m).
I am finding it really easy to work with.
I have developed my own techniques but I'm really quite pleased with the results.

Being PVC, you don't have to finish the edge but it always looks nicer with a bound edge.
This is how I finish the edges using the PVC

View attachment 110232

And the same pic zoomed in

View attachment 110238

You can also see from these photos that the PVC has a nice "linen" effect.
Not as good as Sunbrella but way cheaper and much easier to sew.
Note also how good the Sailrite machine is at producing a consistent stitch.

I also use a lot of Venture tape (double sided tape).
Developing techniques using the tape and then sewing through.
These are some examples of a tests that I did for inserting a zip into the PVC fabric.

View attachment 110240

View attachment 110241

View attachment 110242

My view is that if you can make covers of this quality, why worry about them lasting 15 years.
I am also finding it quite therapeutical doing this kind of thing during the winter months - especially during these latest lock down times.
Talking of zips; my American boat has plastic ( nylon) zips, but the bits that close them are made of a cheap aluminium or zinc alloy that corrode in a salt air atmosphere virtually as you look at them, despite frequent sprays on anti corrosion liquids. Are the replacement nylon sliders any good ?

seanfoster

Visit site
Hi All,

Just thought I'd add my experiences as I run a marine canvas business, Acrylic canvas is the 'standard' used predominantly over the last 10-20 years, the PU coating gives good waterproofing qualities and very durable, the fabric is solution dyed so is UV resistant, although red shades do seem to fade.

Typical brands are Sunbrella and Sauleda, however they are heavy materials, good for covers and enclosures that are not taken off frquently.

The newer generation materials are polyester fabrics such as Stamoid, and my favourites are Topnotch and Topnotch 9 which are both highly abrasion and UV resistant, the Topnotch 9 being about 2/3rds the weight of acrylic canvas so very good for covers that need to be removed often.

Thread type is extremely important, particularly in the Med and US, nylon should never be used outdoors (you might get a couple of seasons out of it), the most common is UV resistant polyester thread (such as Amann Serabond) will last typically 10+ years, and for ultimate life PTFE thread such as Tenara and Solarfix will outlast the cover by many times. Someone mentioned this thread is expensive, well it is about 5-10 times the cost of Polyester, but minimal in relation to the cost of labour required to fabricate a cover!

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

sailorman

Visit site
Getting my man in Spain to fit a new tonneau cover he says

“Do you want the new cover in the same acrylic as the original or would you prefer a lighter material like Stamoid light?”

Anybody had any experience of Stamoid light?
My sprayhood is mzde wigh weathermax it can be made tight wnd wrincle free. Well pleased 12 months jn to date

mrangry

Visit site
Hi All,

Just thought I'd add my experiences as I run a marine canvas business, Acrylic canvas is the 'standard' used predominantly over the last 10-20 years, the PU coating gives good waterproofing qualities and very durable, the fabric is solution dyed so is UV resistant, although red shades do seem to fade.

Typical brands are Sunbrella and Sauleda, however they are heavy materials, good for covers and enclosures that are not taken off frquently.

The newer generation materials are polyester fabrics such as Stamoid, and my favourites are Topnotch and Topnotch 9 which are both highly abrasion and UV resistant, the Topnotch 9 being about 2/3rds the weight of acrylic canvas so very good for covers that need to be removed often.

Thread type is extremely important, particularly in the Med and US, nylon should never be used outdoors (you might get a couple of seasons out of it), the most common is UV resistant polyester thread (such as Amann Serabond) will last typically 10+ years, and for ultimate life PTFE thread such as Tenara and Solarfix will outlast the cover by many times. Someone mentioned this thread is expensive, well it is about 5-10 times the cost of Polyester, but minimal in relation to the cost of labour required to fabricate a cover!

Hope this helps!
Can I ask where the best place to purchase this fabric is in the uk?

Other threads that may be of interest