Toilet Roll

Judders

Visit site
In the Navy there is the famous 'pussers brown' which disolves in sweaty hands, let alone the ubend of the heads, but when I told SWMBO that even if we bought a boat with a sea toilet she would not be allowed loo paper... well lets just say it didn't go well. Why is there nothing on the market for yachtys... or is there and I've missed it?

pandos

Visit site
Right or wrong I use ordinary loo roll and have done so for years.

Once had a discussion with a forumite concerning this matter when I had broken his flapper valve at 3 am. He was adament that no paper should go down a sea toilet.

After he had taken the loo apart during breakfast, he conceded that he had fixed the same flap several times and would now replace it with a new one.

Months later he agreed that the instructions were that only loo paper and previously eaten material should go down the pan.

I always use the softest stuff I can find. ( life is already hard enough, without hard loo paper)

Incidently I use ordinary paper in my thetford loo in the camper and never had a problem.

Poignard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
....she would not be allowed loo paper... well lets just say it didn't go well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it wouldn't, would it? All you will do is put her off sailing for life.

Is your objection to lavatory paper on ecological grounds or because you are worried about blocking the heads? If the latter, you have a bad installation. Ours handles paper, wetwipes, unwanted food as well as the usual, bodily excretions without any problem at all. Make sure the pipe runs are not kinked,the seacocks fully open and the heads pump seals in good order. If people want to use lots of paper that's ok so long as they pump out after every few sheets.

Women are very easily put off sailing and, to quote Eric Hiscock, "the best way to get a good crew is to marry one"! If they want cleanliness and comfort - try and provide it.

Blue Fox

Visit site
There is of course a simple solution. Always fill the toilet pot with water before use. Then pump out what was eaten first. Fill and then use paper (never more than - say- five or six). Pump that out. Repeat if necessary.
Since applying this system no difiiculties whatsoever!

Poignard

Visit site
A fail-safe system [provided you don't drop it] is "bucket and chuck it" but it's not very likely to appeal to a fastidious person.

samwise

kalessin-of-orwell.blogspot.com
Our Lavac pulverises any toilet tissue, but guests are always advised to be a bit frugal with the stuff. However, the system will not take wet wipes, as I know to my cost when earlier this year someone lobbed a couple of sheets down the loo and I had to dismantle the pipework to sort it.

FullCircle

Visit site
No problems with either finest Andrex or the latest moist toilet tissue. Just make sure your system is tip top and let her do what she needs to. We also have air fresherner spray in handy one push dispensers and clean towels, soap and water.......
You know it makes sense.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
We've always used soft loo paper for the last 26 years without problems. OK so you sometimes get "Streamers" floating past from a sea loo, but after passing thro the valves/ pumps & seacock strainers they are usualy fine enough to decompose completely very quickly.

We have also used them in portapotty tanks as well with no probs. Just use as little as you possibly can to minimise the potential for clogging.

Lakesailor

Visit site
I was going to ask what's the matter with a macerator toilet. People go on endlessly about the problems they have with their toilets.
How about someone inventing a handraulic macerator toilet so that even the amp-paupers can sleep easy.

A

Anonymous

We've always used perfectly ordinary toilet paper in my family for nearly forty years and never had a blockage due to paper in all that time.

As someone else commented, wet wipes and other things don't break down so would be really horrible if washed up or floating around beaches. Faeces and paper are absorbed into the environment very quickly and I'm sure are harmless except in areas of very high yacht density and low tidal range - even then, the fishes seem to cope with the faeces /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

sailingawayforayearandaday.blogspot.com
I use normal toilet paper too and, if needs be, keep flushing and wiping, flushing and wiping etc etc..

This is why I hate Lavacs. If you feel you have reached the toilets 'paper-dealing-with capacity', you are in a bit of a compromised situation while you perform one flush and wait for the Lavac to be ready for the next /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AndersGu

Visit site
We ue ordinary rolls also, but try to defer the "heavy dumping" activities until able to do so ashore. Paper from the "lighter activities" never go in the loo, but in a bag with the garbage. we also have a relatively small (40l) holding tank.

EASLOOP

Visit site
I have come across a wonderful invention in the loo department. One drills a 1" hole in the loo bulkhead adjacent to the wc pan. On the other side of the hole a hammer is mounted with a strong spring. One is instructed to wipe one's bottom with one's finger and place the finger in the hole. This trips the spring causing the hammer to strike out hitting one's finger very hard. In order to thwart the pain the user quickly withdraws his/her finger from the hole and places it in the mouth. Result, no paper used at all and pre-digested matter recycled. How more 'green' can one be?