Tobermory Yacht race - 1968

D

Deleted member 36384

Fantastic, thanks for posting. Few guard wires and no lifejackets.

Vara

Visit site
Brilliant, haven't seen it, was in Tobermory in 1968, not on one of those boats unfortunately, but sailing a clapped out National 18.

No doubt that the boats then were so much prettier than today's offerings, forget the damp, cramped, uncomfortable accommodation and muscle wrenching sail handling.

My recollection is that the sun shone for the three weeks we were there, time distorted memory I suspect.

skip50

Visit site
Thanks for posting that, Dylan. It certainly brought back memories. My first Tobermory Race was 69/70 I reckon. I also raced on 8 metres after that. Great times-the drinking was nearly as important as the sailing-I did say nearly.

iain789

Visit site
Brilliant find, thanks for posting it. I was probably in the crowds watching at Ardrishaig. A friend of mine owned LOLA in the 1980s, and I crewed for him a few times. Great to see her again with David Rombach, her previous owner.

mainsail1

Visit site
Thanks Dylan.

A lovely shot of the boat I crewed on in the Tobermory races of 63,64,and 65. Does anyone know where a yacht called Islay is today? She has the sail number 69C in the video and makes her best appearance near the end of the clip.

NealB

Visit site
Lovely stuff, thanks Dylan.

We're currently thinking of a change of boat. I showed this film to Joscelyn, who thinks we should go back to a proper boat.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I haven;t watched yet, but will do so with interest. Family holidays were always at Port Bannatyne, so we'd see the fun of the start - and hear the fun of a hundred drunken crews trying to find their boats when the pubs closed. Then after the start we'd have breakfast and head off in the car via Colintraive to the high road to Tignhabruiach and watch the fleet come up the east Kyle, often under spinnaker.

Does it still take place?

westhinder

Visit site
Brilliant, how lucky are we that have the waters of the West coast of Scotland as our local waters :))

I could not agree more. Having sailed your West Coast for the first time, with the Belgian coast as my home waters, I can only say you are privileged. Lola's skipper summed it up quite nicely towards the end of this marvellous documentary.

Slowtack

Visit site
Great stuff. varnish, anoraks, tufnol, woolly jumpers, headscarves, galvanised fittings, terylene trousers, sawed off firearms, cross cut sails, tweed hats.