To Southerly or not to Southerly

luckybeanz

www.luckybeanz.com
Simple answer, we wanted to spend a lot more time exploring the 10,000km of the uniquely wonderful French inland waterways and carrying 15m of mast horizontal, whilst quite practical (we did it for 9 months) is obviously not exactly completely sensible.

Thanks for all the information and inspiration. So everything I am hearing is that she is the ideal boat. Too bad she is not the ideal price... Made an offer though so might be surviving of bread and seaweed soon :).

Last edited:

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
I’m reading reports of keel box failures on Southerleys - has anyone had experience ?

Where did you hear these stories?

I'd be surprised if there were any structural issues with the keel box.

Keel forces are transferred to the massive grounding plate which has a pretty large area. It think mine had about 18 well spaced studs connecting it to the recess in the hull. The keel box is only really used to keep water out and to lift the keel. It should only be in compression when lifting and ones I've seen are pretty solidly made.

Can you supply links to the multiple reports you mention?

Poecheng

Visit site
I hesitated before replying in case I was missing something.

A bit like the engine bearers of old fishing boats, when the day of judgment comes I think there will be just oil-soaked engine bearers and Southerly keel boxes that will be found to be indestructible to Him

saxonpirate

Visit site
I can't speak for previous experience with a Southerly myself, but had good friends a few years back who had one. They were full time liveaboards, and cruised her extensively, including the Med..

Don, the owner, was a very knowledgeable man, and engineer. He swore by the boat. Loved it, and wouldn't consider anything else. I'd say go for it if you can. Things always work out if you're determined enough.. let life unfold..

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
My experience with a swing keel is they are much lighter than a normal keel going upwind in 20 knots the toe rail was just above the water a full keel would be nowhere near that. I wouldn't buy one.

Tranona

Visit site
My experience with a swing keel is they are much lighter than a normal keel going upwind in 20 knots the toe rail was just above the water a full keel would be nowhere near that. I wouldn't buy one.

You are just talking nonsense again. This discussion is about Southerlys and you clearly have no idea about the boat otherwise you would not make such an untrue comment.

Suggest you read about the Southerly keel design and then engage brain before posting anything else on the subject - except perhaps for an apology.

Poecheng

Visit site

Sorry, but on this one you are quite wrong.

I had a S115 Mk1 and they are as stable a boat as you could find. They are not lighter than a normal keel because they have a quite massive grounding plate that weighs more than any other type of keel that could be stuck on it, plus the weight of the swing keel itself.

You can sail them like a dinghy - lifting the keel up when running downwind or part up when on the beam etc. There is no observable difference in stability and I sailed mine in a lot more than 20kn. It is fair to say that it is the boat that has instilled me with the most confidence in going out in a blow. They are simply rock solid (and I came to the S115 from a large, old gaffer with as full a keel as they made in the 1890s).

I cannot accept that your experience about the rail being under was on a Southerly. There are other swing keel boats around but the OP is asking about Southerly ones and nothing else.

I have no skin in the game about Southerly since I no longer own a Southerly. In my view they are well built yachts that have a set of compromises (as do all yachts) that result in an extremely attractive and safe product that works extremely well for those in that market.

Heckler

Visit site
You are just talking nonsense again. This discussion is about Southerlys and you clearly have no idea about the boat otherwise you would not make such an untrue comment.

Suggest you read about the Southerly keel design and then engage brain before posting anything else on the subject - except perhaps for an apology.

Dont hold back Stewie!

:)

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
No boat is perfect I guess, but us what have had Southerlies (8 years Solent to the Med, Spain, Gib, Morocco) feel very partisan and with good reason. Although we no longer have one we still look back very positively. Maybe not quite so positive about Northshore.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
No, but he seems impervious to any comment about his useless and untrue posts.

It does sound as if he has never even seen a Southerly let alone sailed one for any length of time. Perhaps he is confusing it with something else he has heard about with something more akin to a lifting plate or dagger board(E-Boat or even Optimist :D:D).

moomba

N/A
Visit site
Old thread I know but this one is for your girlfriend who is US citizen , if you are planning to go back to the US for birth then no issues , but be prepared for paperwork and not to marry her if you baby in born outside of the US.
Just to be aware of this as my Girlfriend lol 18 years is a US citizen but my Daughter was born in Glasgow and we are going through hoops to get her a US passport
good luck on your southerly there is a youtube channel RUBY ROSE that sails a southerly 37 i think or if not that size another, don't know much about them

Gelfie

Visit site
We are at present cruising Britany in our 115 mk1. We have done this every year for the passed 12 years since we bought her. A great boat for a family to long term on.
Problems, yes a few, leaking fuel tank, replaced by cutting out part of hatch. Excellent job by local boat yard. Keel lifting plate, replaced with SS one by foundry, expensive. Leaks on main saloon windows, sealed myself. Have replaces the engine as old Bukh had worn ouf.
Very safe boat in all weathers. No French plastic fantastic but gets us where we want to go comfortably and don't forget the inside steering when it's wet.
Drying out is great but take points from others on manovering in tight places. We fitted a bow thruster.
Would only change her for a 420 but not a rich man.

luckybeanz

www.luckybeanz.com
Thanks for the additional info all. I decided to go for her and am heading over to Greece next week to have the survey and sea trial done! I'm at the what the hell am I doing phase now, especially since I have relatively little experience (300 or so miles logged on a boat her size) and now the current owner cannot come over to do a handover plus my partner will only be joining me a couple weeks after the purchase is made.

So if anyone is in the area (Preveza) in the coming weeks and fancies helping me get to know her, please shout, I have also posted this in the crew forum here http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?505429-Crew-wanted-for-Greece.

Happy sailing,
Mark
www.luckybeanz.com

Gelfie

Visit site
Mark
Join the southerly owners association (SOA) web site, it's free, and put something about Greece on there. I expect an owner or two are in the area.
Well worth joining for all the info and experiece available.
Enjoy the boat and I'm sure you will find her comfortable an easy to sail.
Happy sailing.

Last edited:

luckybeanz

www.luckybeanz.com
Mark
Join the southerly owners association (SOA) web site, it's free, and put something about Greece on there. I expect an owner or two are in the area.
Well worth joining for all the info and experiece available.
Enjoy the boat and I'm sure you will find her comfortable an easy to sail.
Happy sailing.

Thanks. I just signed up, waiting for approval.

In the mean time I've arrived in Greece to find that it is a public holiday and I can't do anything until tomorrow. The broker neglected to mention it when discussing the survey and trial, as did the owner neglect to mention that he would not be able to make it over for a hand over as his wife is going in for surgery today, they knew this in May, yet only decided to tell me once I'd booked my flights. Both points seem a bit dishonest to me. Now that I am here and my deposit is paid I feel like they are are abusing their power position, and feel as a buyer I am getting a manipulated.

I found the boat in the yard and had a look at the outside, as was my concern, the keel has not been maintained at all, see these pictures. If anyone knows what sort of numbers are involved in fixing this, please comment. Also i am interested in any comments as to the offer and value, here is the link to her, my offer is at 35k https://www.networkyachtbrokers.com/boats_for_sale/Southerly__115-22310.html/
Image to keel issues :
http://www.luckybeanz.com/img_20180815_143333/
http://www.luckybeanz.com/img_20180815_143308/
http://www.luckybeanz.com/img_20180815_143303/
http://www.luckybeanz.com/img_20180815_142951/
http://www.luckybeanz.com/img_20180815_142908/

These last 3 are a big concern for me and I feel they should be repaired which should reduce the price of the boat! Please any advice much appreciated.
http://www.luckybeanz.com/img_20180815_142850/
http://www.luckybeanz.com/img_20180815_142838/
http://www.luckybeanz.com/img_20180815_140509/

Last edited: