To run engine or not ?

ean_p

Visit site
Similar on ships - but that's not to maintain the engines - its to make sure they still work when called on ... ie - Ships Lifeboat engine started 1x a month ...
Isn't that all the same thing really........ except in addition you've also 'renewed' surface oil films and 'worked' the elastomeric components......
as I say....you pays yer money...!

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Interesting that everyone jumped on "running at idle." The engine was in gear and I have no reason to think he did not advance the throttle to at least the low position most people use maneuvering out of the harbor. If you are concerned your dock lines can't take the tug of the engine at 1/3 throttle or so, you really need to reconsider your tie-up.

I have gas engines and I have always done this. Throttles up, probably full for at least a few minutes. Not twice a week. That's not needed. But about once each month, if I'm not going out. It keeps the gas in the lines and carbs from getting damp and stale. It improves reliability IMO. For example, no one would say that leaving a car sit for 3-6 months at a time is good for it.

I don't do the whole winterization fog routine that is sometimes recommended. Since I sail year round it would be a big nuisance.

Diesel is different. But I did not hear an explanation of how running in gear at some throttle would be harmful. And as others have said, in this way he knows it will start any time. That's nice if you keep the boat in the water. There are nice days in the depth of winter.

Alicatt

Visit site
One reason for doing that could be as a preparation to change the oil - which is best done hot.
Certainly that’s what we do, run in reverse gear for 15 minutes whilst preparing the Pela etc.
yes, he was just coming out of the winterisation and getting the engine ready for a service, he was going ahead and the wash was impacting my boat which has two boats between us.
I had been admiring how clear the water and how slow the flow was, when I came up out the bilge and looked over the side there was a good current flowing with eddies and the water was murky, that's when I noticed the engine running.
I will be doing something similar soon when the other tasks are finished, my engine is raw water cooled and filled with anti freeze just now, need to replace 2 of the engine mounts and put a new pully on the alternator.

MADRIGAL

Visit site
Does anyone here remember the German tank that was found in the bottom of a Russian lake about 50 years after the end of the war? They started it up and it ran just fine.

HenrikH

Visit site
I have never thought of starting the boat engine during winter. But I do crank the motorcycle a couple of times during winter, without starting. The idea is to resupply the oil film on the cam shaft bearings (cam shaft bearings in aluminum are sensitive - experience). Maybe cranking a boat engine without starting could be good?

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site
I would never start the engine unless I was going somewhere....and I take a long time before I give it any decent revs....can I just add (even if you all hate me for it)...one of the joys of having an electric car is not feeling any guilt just going on very short trips, even just to move it a couple of feet on the driveway

Momac

Visit site
What is the thinking regards firing up and running yacht engines during winter months. A boat neighbour starts his engine and runs it for 15 minutes in gear 1 or 2X times per week. What do folks think a good idea or not ?

Reasons for and against would be welcome.

Thanks all

It seems there are no reasons 'for'

Daydream believer

Visit site
I would never start the engine unless I was going somewhere....and I take a long time before I give it any decent revs....can I just add (even if you all hate me for it)...one of the joys of having an electric car is not feeling any guilt just going on very short trips, even just to move it a couple of feet on the driveway
Presumably you have enough charging stations along the drive to allow you to do that? :unsure: :LOL:

Daydream believer

Visit site
That must give your chums a shock.
Only if their plug is the wrong sort :unsure:
Out of disinterest --is there a standard for EV charging plugs & sockets. Or do you have to carry a bag of different adaptors, like one used to do in some marinas. Have the charging stations latched on to that one yet? ie charge extra for a plug adaptor to fit their sockets - Bit like Shotley marina where you have to use their 4 pin plug to spread the load across the supply better.

Bouba

Visit site
Only if their plug is the wrong sort :unsure:
Out of disinterest --is there a standard for EV charging plugs & sockets. Or do you have to carry a bag of different adaptors, like one used to do in some marinas. Have the charging stations latched on to that one yet? ie charge extra for a plug adaptor to fit their sockets - Bit like Shotley marina where you have to use their 4 pin plug to spread the load across the supply better.
We should take this to the ev thread...but yes, I carry two cables with two different plugs