To race or not to race ? that is the question

baart

Visit site
A few people have suggested recently we might enjoy racing. We are thinking of maybe joing PYRA for a season to get a taste as the races often go to the places we would visit anyway. I am just not sure if I want to switch on the competitve mode in my free time. Also trying to get somewhere faster than others kind of contradicts the idea of sailing to me. Appreciate though that racing improves one's skills.

What are your thoughts?

Neeves

Visit site
Unless you actually race to win - you are wasting your time. First up you need to polish your knowledge of the rules - otherwise you are major liability. And don't forget to add 'racing' to your insurance.

If you improve your skills - you will get, wherever, more quickly - and maybe you would then consider going further and further (to new destinations).

Jonathan

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
It can be good to sharpen the sailing skills, especially if crewing on various boats with different skippers when a lot can be learned.

Unfortunately, some of the racers do tend to take it far too seriously.
🤣 It’s an affliction, what can I say.

But loads of people enjoy a bimble round the cans with no real hope of winning. Their ambition is to finish a bit closer to the winner than last time. Nothing wrong with that.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Unfortunately, some of the racers do tend to take it far too seriously.
When you say "far too seriously" I would suggest that it is a sport & a sport is meant to demonstrate one's ability to perform better than the opposition. In my mind, winning is not just, "winning", but doing it convincingly. When I was younger, I raced my yacht, or my dinghies, almost every weekend. I did it to improve my skillset & to see if I could beat the excellent opposition.
It was only in my 60s that I knew that I could not sail my dinghy properly, but I still put everything I had in to it. Whilst physically I was beaten before I started, I still used the rules tactically & my skills.
Same goes for my cruiser. If I do race- & that is very infrequent now- I do not plod, but race intently, to do as best as I can. I use the rules & sail tactically to keep up & I use the skills that I have learned over the years to trim the boat. If I was racing continuously I would definately strip everything out of it first. Even now as a cruising boat I still have a clear out at the end of each season, so it is not cluttered at the start of the next. As a cruiser I still hate being overtaken (& rarely am).
If that is "far too seriously" then I see no problem with that

Mark-1

Visit site
A few people have suggested recently we might enjoy racing. We are thinking of maybe joing PYRA for a season to get a taste as the races often go to the places we would visit anyway. I am just not sure if I want to switch on the competitve mode in my free time. Also trying to get somewhere faster than others kind of contradicts the idea of sailing to me. Appreciate though that racing improves one's skills.

What are your thoughts?

I think you've summed it up. I raced with PYRA in my student days. As you say the passage races are just going to places you're already likely to go with an extra element of interest. A no brainer. Personally I found the round the can races tedious but the evening races round the cans were a reason to go out for short sails at times I wouldn't normally bother.

I'm struggling to see a reason not to.

Reactions: DJE

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
When you say "far too seriously" I would suggest that it is a sport & a sport is meant to demonstrate one's ability to perform better than the opposition. In my mind, winning is not just, "winning", but doing it convincingly. When I was younger, I raced my yacht, or my dinghies, almost every weekend. I did it to improve my skillset & to see if I could beat the excellent opposition.
It was only in my 60s that I knew that I could not sail my dinghy properly, but I still put everything I had in to it. Whilst physically I was beaten before I started, I still used the rules tactically & my skills.
Same goes for my cruiser. If I do race- & that is very infrequent now- I do not plod, but race intently, to do as best as I can. I use the rules & sail tactically to keep up & I use the skills that I have learned over the years to trim the boat. If I was racing continuously I would definately strip everything out of it first. Even now as a cruising boat I still have a clear out at the end of each season, so it is not cluttered at the start of the next. As a cruiser I still hate being overtaken (& rarely am).
If that is "far too seriously" then I see no problem with that
And that is the essence of club racing. It’s definitely ‘whats the point of racing if you don’t try’, but not ‘whats the point of racing if you don’t win’? And most racing has prizes for consistent triers as well as winners. You learn, and sail better and more efficiently as a result.

SaltyC

Visit site
And that is the essence of club racing. It’s definitely ‘whats the point of racing if you don’t try’, but not ‘whats the point of racing if you don’t win’? And most racing has prizes for consistent triers as well as winners. You learn, and sail better and more efficiently as a result.
I completely agree, for many cruisers their boat will not be competitive, too much weight on board, sails too old. But it adds interest to the passage, you learn a lot from talking to others after the race, the how / why did you go that way etc. In tidal waters you quickly appreciate to use it to your advantage and use the 'shortest course' all useful skills when cruising to reduce passage times or travel further.
You improve your skills and short round the cans races encourage you to go out for a couple of hours instead of staying in harbour.
I am competitive but I race in order to sail not sail in order to race. I accept I have a cruising boat and cannot win against cheque book racers.
I found tge National Handicap for Cruisers a good system as over time the handicap reflected the boats condition and levelled the field to reflect how well the boat was sailed.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I completely agree, for many cruisers their boat will not be competitive, too much weight on board, sails too old. But it adds interest to the passage, you learn a lot from talking to others after the race, the how / why did you go that way etc. In tidal waters you quickly appreciate to use it to your advantage and use the 'shortest course' all useful skills when cruising to reduce passage times or travel further.
You improve your skills and short round the cans races encourage you to go out for a couple of hours instead of staying in harbour.
I am competitive but I race in order to sail not sail in order to race. I accept I have a cruising boat and cannot win against cheque book racers.
I found tge National Handicap for Cruisers a good system as over time the handicap reflected the boats condition and levelled the field to reflect how well the boat was sailed.
NHC is fantastic for the cruiser section of a club. Maybe less so for the hardened racers, we race in a one design under NHC and class. You never win both. We are top dogs at our club, but also do open events and Cowes Week, where we are not. We have yet to win Cowes, but the ambition remains. We also race the tri, less frequently, under NHC and MOCRA. Mixed results, but that’s the nature of handicap racing. Not winning everything is the last possible reason not to race. The lure of a couple of hours of sailing with others, with a chance of doing well is why we do it.

Daydream believer

Visit site
There is a problem when people do not "try". Many years ago our club had a reasonable 505 fleet. The best sailors wanted to get on but found the competition from the other sailors "lacking". They were those that sailed for the fun of it, not for the win.
As a result a number started doing the circuits & those who were left no longer had the top boats to sail against. They then got bored & some stopped sailing, so the class got drawn into the handicap fleet. When the top boys came back there was no class racing anymore. They complained but could not get a consistent enough number due to the fact that they often went elsewhere. So eventually the whole class died except for 3-4 boats.
I can imagine the same with cruisers. What is the point turning out with a fully conditioned crew, if your opposition is a knackered westerly where they all spend their time drinking tea, or cannot put a decent tack together, or give up half way round the course. "Bimbling round" being the operative description.- Totally pointless. :cry: :rolleyes:

DanTribe

Visit site
I used to race my Stella fairly seriously, seldom won but usually near the front. A great crowd but could get a bit boozy afterwards.
I currently race my old uncompetitive 1/2 tonner in spring and autumn series. No chance of pots but as a result I can offer crew places to people who would never get a chance to crew on the hot shots. My usual crew includes a 13 year old and an 80 year old. We [usually] all have a great time. Big decisions are sometmes "shall we put the spinnaker up or have a cup of tea?"

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
What are your thoughts?
Have you booked your nervous breakdown?

I admit racing hold no interest for me, I've even been know to heave to when felt that somebody was 'racing' me! That really spoilt their day.

Listening at the bar with the post race chatter I thing there are more important things to fret about.

Laysula

www.stevehuntdrivinginstructor.co.uk
I race every week through the winter and twice a week in summer. We try hard but know we can't beat the stripped out boats with their fancy sails, but it's good fun, sharpens the skills up and for me certainly it's two hours of concentration to forget all my troubles. Followed by a couple of beers in the yacht club after.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I used to race my Stella fairly seriously, seldom won but usually near the front. A great crowd but could get a bit boozy afterwards.
The thing that I enjoyed about the early days of the Stella class was that Burnham week would attract 30 entries. The top boats were some of the best helms in the area & to beat them now & then made one feel great. I will always remember leading the points one Burnham week. Arriving on the mooring & being packed up whilst boats were still crossing the pile house line.
But there was always a group of 5 or so about the same ability so one had a race within a race & that made it real fun.
I think that can be said about many class races where there is a decent number of equal boats with helms that all want to do better.

Stemar

Visit site
Honestly, what utter nonsense. As long as people are enjoying themselves, dare I say even having a laugh, it’s just a fun day out on the water with mates. A beer or two, a bit of banter - what’s wrong with that?
Absolutely. I used to navigate a seriously uncompetitive rally car. No chance of silverware, but we enjoyed ourselves, as did the other competitors for the wooden spoon.

doug748

Visit site

What are your thoughts?

It gets you on the water and adds interest, have a go.

It's looks a good programme, the longer races can work up a nice comradery and it's great to have a meal and debrief ashore at the other end. A start time cuts out all the dithering as well.
I see the races are RORC Cat 4 which is nice and simple but do have a look at the regs. Some are marked Cat 4+ which I suspect means you should carry a liferaft.

Good luck, I am non competitive and have little ambition but still found it fun. It can be amusing listening to the keen ones shouting at other boats and each other.