Time to swallow the anchor?

snowleopard

Visit site
SWMBO was recently rushed into hospital with what turned out to be a blood clot on the lungs. That of course is closely akin to stroke or heart attack and, unless the cause can be identified and fixed, means we need to be able to get her to A&E pretty quickly if she has a bad turn. That pretty much means no long passages for now so the big question is - is it worth keeping the boat? Snow Leopard is now 15 years old and needs a fairly extensive re-fit so it's a fairly major effort to get her ready to sell.

I'm sure others have been through a similar situation - any suggestions?

dom

Visit site
A friend of mine recently had something similar (ultra-fit early 50s) but his unfortunately led to a serious heart attack. I'm just back from a cycle with him today after a full recovery which involved inserting a stent!

I would hold off any decision re boat until you have the full diagnosis, which will require quite a few tests (MRIs etc) before docs fully get to the bottom of the problem. Don't forget that something like this quite often makes folk even more determined to get out and do their favourite things.

And most importantly, may I wish your wife a full and speedy recovery.

AndrewB

Visit site
Back in 2012 both SWMBO and I were diagnosed with serious chronic illnesses requiring major operations, and it looked like our sailing days were over. So we sold the yacht.
A year later we'd both made surprisingly good recoveries and were bored silly. So ... we bought another. Ocean voyaging may be out, but we still sail. Yes, there is a risk, but what ultimately matters?

Good luck, Mrs Snowleopard!

Last edited:

Hydrozoan

Visit site
... the big question is - is it worth keeping the boat? Snow Leopard is now 15 years old and needs a fairly extensive re-fit so it's a fairly major effort to get her ready to sell.

Very sorry to hear your news - best wishes for Mrs SL's recovery. But from your words, it seems that you see a major effort to get the boat ready for sale as being necessary whenever you sell, so I don't quite see how that affects the decision - other than that now is not an easy time to do it, perhaps (which might go along with an argument not to act precipitately). Am I missing something there?

johnalison

Visit site
There are two ways of organising your life. You can make detailed plans and arrange every change before problems arise, but risk missing out on a lot by changing too early. Or, you can wait for a crisis to precipitate action. Either way, you might win or lose, so there is no correct course. I'm a prevaricator myself. I sounds as if you are getting to the stage of wanting to change boats anyway, so maybe setting the wheels in motion might be the right course, and you are not obliged to sell until it actually happens.

charles_reed

Visit site
SWMBO was recently rushed into hospital with what turned out to be a blood clot on the lungs. That of course is closely akin to stroke or heart attack and, unless the cause can be identified and fixed, means we need to be able to get her to A&E pretty quickly if she has a bad turn. That pretty much means no long passages for now so the big question is - is it worth keeping the boat? Snow Leopard is now 15 years old and needs a fairly extensive re-fit so it's a fairly major effort to get her ready to sell.

I had an ischemic attack in Thassos on 29 August 2013. It resulted in losing the sight of my R eye.
After an emergency return to the UK, I've carried on sailing single handed, in Greece,with the active encouragement of my GP and cardiologist.
Too avoid a repetition I'm using warfarin. higher doses of statin and various Ca channel blockers and BP controls.
For each, a different response but a clot doesn't mean the end of the world and I'd recommend keeping an open mind and listening to your medical adviser.
Nearly all of us, over the age of 75 have suffered an ischemia, most don't even know its happened.
In the final analysis;- does your wife want to give it up?

estarzinger

www.bethandevans.com

Sorry to hear that . . . We had somewhat similar life events and sold the boat and pretty much have given up sailing. Weekend and day sailing just did not cut it compared to our past voyaging, did not make the hassles of boat ownership worthwhile for us.

blackbeard

Visit site
Speaking as a pulmonary embolism (blood clot on lungs) survivor.
My recovery was rapid and complete. I am still sailing, and have run a half-marathon subsequently. My best wishes to Mrs Snowleopard
It is actually quite different from heart attack or stroke. You will of course need to speak to her doctor. You may find she is prescribed warfarin for a few months, no need to panic about this although it's best to be wary of any activities which might cause bruising or bleeding. Sailing should not (at least ideally) be too much of a risk, but of course you will be guided by medical advice.
There may be an identifiable cause of the embolism, but this isn't always apparent.
Do not take any panic action until you have received clear medical advice.
And do, please, keep us informed on the patient's progress.

Sadlermike

Notionally Argyll but normally on boat away from h
Visit site
I was sorry to hear of your wife’s ill health.

I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s seven years ago. I took the view that I would rather fall overboard and die after ten minutes’ terror than die of boredom in front of the TV. My consultant understands and has given me all the assistance possible.

Sitting here while the gale howls round the boat, I’m not sure I made the right decision!

Tomahawk

Visit site
We live with diabetes and sarcoidosis. So we can't do any long trips... but there is still one heck of a lot of coast and sailing around this beautiful island. Indeed you can simply stay in sight of the shore and still make some very impressive passages whilst always being close to rescue by the RNLI or CG. I don't feel you should sell Snowleopard just yet.

More important how does Mrs Snloweopard feel? I know First Officer would be heartbroken to sell Tomahawk.

PS.. best wishes for a good recovery.

Last edited:

Birdseye

Visit site

The blood clot is a medically manageable issue or at least so it has proved with my 90 year old M-I-L. That said if your big cat already needs a lot of TLC to be ready for sale it isnt going to get any less by leaving it. Maybe now is the time to downsize to a smaller newer boat with less maintenance. When we had a cat, which I enjoyed, I found mthat it was a lot of maintenance, far more than a similar length mono.

TiggerToo

Visit site
First and foremost, best wishes to Mrs Snowl.

For the rest, the others have great words of wisdom... all the best.

snowleopard

Visit site
Thanks for all the support. Your comments have encouraged me not to do anything in haste. I am deferring launch for now and will start work once things settle down a bit but won't rush into selling SL. Mrs. is undergoing lots of tests at present to identify a cause for the clot and is on a drug similar to Warfarin, So far they have eliminated heart arrhythmia but there are scans of various sorts still to be done, hospital waiting lists permitting.

SL is a great boat for its original purpose - tropical cruising - and remains a comfortable and stable platform for a nervous lady but she is an increasing pain in small harbours so long-term she'll probably have to go. SWMBO has always been water-shy though she's done a couple of Atlantic crossings. She'd happily give up sailing though there are thoughts of a wide-beam canal boat capable of crossing to the continent.

And of course the most important thing - she is gradually improving. The doc said her clot would gradually dissipate over a couple of weeks and the pain is easing now. She is down to 2 pills a day as opposed to the 17 she was on when she came out of hospital!