Time to Move

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
Hi All

After many years in Shotley, we've decided to head to pastures new and are off to Dover.

The new marina is nice, and we find the whole place refreshing compared to many Marinas. We thought about Ramsgate but were told there is an excruciatingly long waiting list which we are now on.

Hopefully we will still feel the same about the decisions in a years time, I'll keep you updated !

johnalison

Visit site
Well, we haven't actually lost you, so that's OK, even if your local input is reduced. I'm sure you will enjoy Dover. If nothing else, you will gain experience is sailing in strong winds as they funnel past you, and you will get a lot of radar practice too. I can see that you will be thinking of retirement soon in order to do some proper sailing. :)

Biggles Wader

Visit site
How do the prices compare? Lots of money has been spent on the Dover Marina to sort out the weather related issues and they will possibly be looking to recoup some of that!

Biggles Wader

Visit site
Surprisingly it's cheaper !
Result! The downside of Dover is it's reputation for being a bit scroaty, which it is, but as a place to sail from it is really good with almost deserted areas towards Dungeness and Ramsgate for day sailing and plenty of options for going further. I grew up there so am a bit biased though.

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
Result! The downside of Dover is it's reputation for being a bit scroaty, which it is, but as a place to sail from it is really good with almost deserted areas towards Dungeness and Ramsgate for day sailing and plenty of options for going further. I grew up there so am a bit biased though.

They have their own police force though, so that works for me ;)

TBH the new marina is amazing, having the Quay right up to it with food stalls and music in the summer. It feels more like Dieppe or Cherbourg than the UK. Ipswich should take a look at this and rethink.

harvey38

Visit site
Hi All

After many years in Shotley, we've decided to head to pastures new and are off to Dover.

The new marina is nice, and we find the whole place refreshing compared to many Marinas. We thought about Ramsgate but were told there is an excruciatingly long waiting list which we are now on.

Hopefully we will still feel the same about the decisions in a years time, I'll keep you updated !
What size boat do you have, I find it difficult to believe there is a waiting list for Ramsgate, have you called the Harbour Office, where you looking to moor in the Harbour or Marina?

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
What size boat do you have, I find it difficult to believe there is a waiting list for Ramsgate, have you called the Harbour Office, where you looking to moor in the Harbour or Marina?

11m. I called them and was told by them that there was a waiting list for both. I filled in an application form and heard nothing back

harvey38

Visit site
PM me your details if still interested, we too are 11M and sure there are spaces for both harbour and marina.

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
PM me your details if still interested, we too are 11M and sure there are spaces for both harbour and marina.

Thanks for the offer, I think we've settled on Dover now as they have given us a really attractive package.

I always thought that they couldn't be full as we have been there a lot, especially this year, and even in August there were plenty of spaces.

Concerto

Visit site
I visited Dover in September and can confirm the marina is very good and the facilities are excellent, plus the visitor berthing cost was a lot less than Eastbourne, Brighton or other East Coast marinas.. The only drawback with Dover is having to contact port control to enter/leave either entrance and again to enter/leave the marina area as you pass a small commercial dock. The only other general comment about the waters off Dover is they are probably the roughest area on the East Coast due to the meeting of the tides from the North Sea and the Channel.

harvey38

Visit site
I visited Dover in September and can confirm the marina is very good and the facilities are excellent, plus the visitor berthing cost was a lot less than Eastbourne, Brighton or other East Coast marinas.. The only drawback with Dover is having to contact port control to enter/leave either entrance and again to enter/leave the marina area as you pass a small commercial dock. The only other general comment about the waters off Dover is they are probably the roughest area on the East Coast due to the meeting of the tides from the North Sea and the Channel.
Saves you having to ask for a radio check though👍

prestomg27

Visit site
Came into Dover 2 or 3 weeks ago bringing a friend's boat from portsmouth to burnham.

Facilities were very good, staff super friendly and helpful, and will be even better when they have set up the new fuel berth on the marina pontoon.

You have ramsgate, the north kent coast, the east coast, further west towards eastbourne, france to choose from.

Good choice in my book.

pandroid

www.kissen.co.uk
They say that at Dover if you want to know how bad it is, just look over the harbour wall! The water gets squeezed through the straits, and picks up some rubbish seas. Bit different from Shotley!

Spuddy

Visit site
Have a look in the RCPYC - they have members who actually go sailing.
Harbour control are brilliant despite it being such a busy ferry port. Always found them on the ball and helpful

johnalison

Visit site
Have a look in the RCPYC - they have members who actually go sailing.
Harbour control are brilliant despite it being such a busy ferry port. Always found them on the ball and helpful
It’s a shame they had to downsize from their previously grand premises. I haven’t been for a few years but they just had the ground floor then and no longer served the grand lunches and own-brand beer, from Shepherd-Neame I think. Still a pleasant stop for visitors.

Debennut

Visit site
I keep my boat in Shotley now, having spent 10 years in Dover. I downsized, to a boat not suited to to the Dover conditions.
I am still an RCPYC member and had an excellent lunch ( my friend had a full roast) there, two weeks ago,
It is such a lovely club, no pretensions, definitely worth supporting.

mrming

instagram.com
Regarding Ramsgate, I believe it’s the more desirable inner harbour that has a long waiting list. The outer marina is always half empty. Unfortunately it can be a bit exposed in strong winds, and the only time I left my boat there for an extended period she got blown at such an angle she ended up with a nasty bit of pontoon rash. The town itself is a lot better than Dover imo.

harvey38

Visit site
Regarding Ramsgate, I believe it’s the more desirable inner harbour that has a long waiting list. The outer marina is always half empty. Unfortunately it can be a bit exposed in strong winds, and the only time I left my boat there for an extended period she got blown at such an angle she ended up with a nasty bit of pontoon rash. The town itself is a lot better than Dover imo.
There are quite a few spaces in the inner harbour as the new HM had a good sort out of tat that fell well short of the marinas T&Cs. Quite nice as some of the tat went to new owners and got a new lease of life after being sold at remarkably low cost in the auction.

Other such ridiculous projects such as the Arts Barge was removed but not before a local business was conned out of some serious money. Some serious (but overdue) money now being spent to sort out the bascule bridge, flap gate and East Amenities and a new leccy payment system.

A great boaty community, VERY helpful marina staff and the town has everything to offer, decent bakery, excellent restaurants, a cracking butchers for barbeque meat (not leaving out the air fryer brigade) and apparently the UKs biggest Spoons for the purveyors of fine food. The mooring fees are also very acceptable.