Time lapse video of lengthening cruise ship Balmoral by 30 metres

veshengro

Visit site
I imagine that internally all the services, ie: electrical wiring, water pipes, air con trunking etc must all have two joints in as a result of the new section. I can't believe that an electrical wire run fore and aft would be replaced. The same with say, a fresh water line, I suppose a new joint each side of the new section is made. Lot's of unseen work to do, apart from glueing the new section in place...:giggle:

S04

Visit site
Norwegian crown became the Balmoral when Fred Olsen bought and extended her.
That explains the Norwegian Crown/Balmoral connection but the Braemar is a different ship altogether although she too was lengthened. The video appears to be a mixture of both vessels being stretched. Still absolutely fascinating to watch.

4.9K views · 95 reactions | Braemar lengthening at Blohm+Voss | In 2007 Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines decided to stretch the cruise ship #Braemar. On 14th May of the following year the ship entered the Elbe 17 Dock at... | By Cruise Spotlight | Facebook

Norman_E

Visit site
Lengthening ships is not that uncommon. About 40 years ago a customer of the bank I worked for had a cargo vessel lengthened to give quite a big percentage increase in carrying capacity and tonnage. No changes were made to propulsion and on sea trial afterwards the ship was faster than it had been when new.

blush2

Visit site
When I started working for Research Vessel Services some 25 years ago my boss lent me a video of the RRS Discovery (previous vessel) being lengthened by 10 metres. It got a bit exciting when it nearly fell over as the two sections were moved apart.