Time for me to get another boat!

Whitelighter

Visit site
I'm on iPhone so not easy to post a detailed reply, but I didn't want to read and run.

I think the biggest issue is the lack of Aircon as this materially effects the value of the boat to you. Cosmetics etc is what you'd expect for a 13 year old sports cruiser. Camper covers, I woukdbt expect a med boat to have them if it was sold new there as why would you need them.

benjenbav

Visit site
On top of the specific costs mentioned I would guess that you need to budget another £5k for: nav gear, engine and domestic batteries, thruster motor, grp work.

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
The aluminium extrusion on the top edge of the windscreen could be removed albeit with a bit of fiddling about, shotblasted, then etch primed and sprayed. Easy to do in the UK but I'm not sure how I would tackle this abroad.

Drinks holders aren't available from Fairline any more, but you have a complete one there so a copy would be easy. Matching the perspex colour might be a slight challenge. This would obv be easy to do in the UK.

Interior carpet can be supplied by Ed Engels and he almost certainly has templates so you could just stick the carpet in a suitcase and fly it down.

In the light of the busted chartplotter I'd just budget for all new electronics. Has it got autopilot?

Bowthruster definitely a worry and could be a couple of grand to resolve. Mike Ingram at Osmotech is the man to ask about this.

That crack in the corner of the bathing ladder recess is a design fault, my T40 has it too, the grp is too thin there and when the ladder is loaded particular when the boat is on the hard, you get the full lever on that little bit of grp and it cracks. Remedy is to reinforce the grp from behind. Not a critical fault.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the absence of camper covers. We very rarely use ours in the season; bimini with tonneau for when you leave the boat is probably the optimum configuration.

That all said, although it is keenly priced, I'd want aircon, holding tank and ideally generator, autopilot, passerelle. (And in your case, a tv :D). Any other candidate vessels on your list?

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Pete, my first thought is that this boat doesn't seem to have been as well looked after as it may first have appeared and the lack of any aircon is a major downer. My second thought is that you've got all winter to keep looking at other boats and there's no need to jump in with this one.

tcm

Visit site
Hum, petem has deflected a load of persuasion to get another boat for years, and now for yet another thread. It may be time for him to execute the TCM Boat-Buying Gambit (essentially involves pretending he's already paid a massive deposit and see what she says....)

Last edited:

stelican

Visit site
Looks in better nick than your last one .
But seriously JtB is correct on solution to screen capping ,Alternatively leave with it for a year and see if can be sorted at later date at your marina or do localised repairs yourself
You do not have room to fit genny
regards
Stelican

Portofino

Visit site
Pete, my first thought is that this boat doesn't seem to have been as well looked after as it may first have appeared and the lack of any aircon is a major downer. My second thought is that you've got all winter to keep looking at other boats and there's no need to jump in with this one.

Pete any thoughts on a Pershing 37 -shafty -similar size /price + med spec and plastic window surround ? there,s life outside Fairline:cool:

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Thanks will reply to comments in full later.

In the mean time could someone tell me what the successors were for the C60 and whether a later head unit could be used with the original GPS receiver and radar.

Pete

petem

@Jez, yep the lack of A/C is the biggest downer for me. Ultimately I'd bring the boat back to the UK for resale so camper covers will be required.

@Benjenbav, I think £5k is probably right if the bowthruster is knackered. Batteries were renewed this year and I would think the Gelcoat work is a days work. The batteries were a little flat but what else could cause the slow starting?

@JtB, agree regarding the windscreen frame. This isn't going to be my forever boat so I wouldn't want to spend many £1000's on nav kit. But if the C70 is knackered then something slightly newer might do (what replaced it?). There's no autopilot which is another negative point. Not many T30's have holding tanks (it was POA when new or dealer fit). But it can be installed at c. £2k I guess. I've never see one with a pasarelle either and I can't see how you would fit one.

@Deleted User, I agree. There's a few other available, from memory:

A white one in Altea, no bowthruster and looks like its been messed about with (http://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats_for_sale/691913/)
One in La Napoule. Good spec but might have a green hull so no good (http://www.fairlineapproved.com/sea...el/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp&boat_id=2817508)
One in Portugal, good spec but looks unloved from pics.
Various other more expensive ones in the UK.

@TCM, SWMBO is into the idea of course there are conditions!

@Stelican, blimmin cheek, that boat was immaculate when I flogged it!

@Portofino, 'life outside Fairline' - I don't think so ;).

Last edited:

Hurricane

Visit site
Pete
I have to say this and others have as well.

Forget the emotion of a Targa.
Take a leaf out of Jez's book and get a flybridge boat.
You are planning on keeping it in the Med.
You will need the extra space.
A/C is a must.

Now I'm going to be even more controversial.
For me - you camp on a sports boat - whereas you can live on a flybridge boat.

There you go - I said it - I'll now stand back and wait for the flack

benjenbav

Visit site
Pete
I have to say this and others have as well.

Forget the emotion of a Targa.
Take a leaf out of Jez's book and get a flybridge boat.
You are planning on keeping it in the Med.
You will need the extra space.
A/C is a must.

I think you might have a point! :D

Portofino

Visit site

Precisely it's all about outdoor living plus a bit of va va vroom cruising between 30-38 knots
In somthing like this .
null_zpspwx4ogi4.jpg

There's a button on the dash that discharges the black tank . Don,t temp me when overtaking F/B's :cool:

jfm

Visit site
Hi Pete. If it's going to be targa30 surely the UK and ci ones are better. Avoid all those snags, get it fixed in UK at your leisure this winter, add10k for airco, autopilot delivery, and you're done.

I don't want to bang on but I think targa30 and SCM is a bad combo, as you know. Targa30 works in cala d'or and s of f because there is so much good local cruising, unlike SCM. You gotta go to Balearics if you're in SCM, and t30 is too small to do the crossing whenever you choose as opposed to when weathEr dictates. I also agree with Mike and jez as regards flybridges for med boating/living but I think you're set in your views on that one. I think jez has got a great machine to live on for few weeks at a time

Good luck!

jfm

Visit site
@portofino, that's a great picture of your new machine. You didn't travel far to take it!:cool:

As for the overtaking, yes, when conditions allow!!

Portofino

Visit site
@portofino, that's a great picture of your new machine. You didn't travel far to take it!:cool:

As for the overtaking, yes, when conditions allow!!
Thanks it lends itself to great photos
Yup Just round the corner -well spotted
There are larger and even faster ( arneson ) opens - to bomb arround in further a field eg - Itama 75 springs to mind with a deeper V than any mainstream F/B .
Mangusta 80 another "camper" -each to there own ,but the weather is kinder to "campers" in the Med .
Recently experianced a day of rain -a first this year !

Pete -good look with your search

Last edited:

rafiki_

Visit site
Absolutely agree. While not in the Med, we get far more out of our boating with our fly than we used to with our sports cruiser. Despite the disappointing weather this year, it has probably been our best boating year to date, and we will be on board regularly over the winter. With our sports cruiser, when the conditions were not suitable for cockpit life, we did not enjoy our boating. Now we have a range of options, fly, cockpit, saloon or cabins. I recognise that this is a personal view, and we are all different :)

petem

Hi Pete. If it's going to be targa30 surely the UK and ci ones are better. Avoid all those snags, get it fixed in UK at your leisure this winter, add10k for airco, autopilot delivery, and you're done.

I don't want to bang on but I think targa30 and SCM is a bad combo, as you know. Targa30 works in cala d'or and s of f because there is so much good local cruising, unlike SCM. You gotta go to Balearics if you're in SCM, and t30 is too small to do the crossing whenever you choose as opposed to when weathEr dictates. I also agree with Mike and jez as regards flybridges for med boating/living but I think you're set in your views on that one. I think jez has got a great machine to live on for few weeks at a time

Good luck!

JFM and others, the CI ones are obviously priced ex VAT. The Jersey one (http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2000/Fairline-Targa-30-2846320/United-Kingdom) that's £44,950 has no Bowthruster so effectively it would cost me £57k by the time I've added it and the VAT. Doesn't have A/C either so make that £60k. On the plus side it does have an electric galley (a plus for me), more recent nav gear and holding tank.

The Guernsey one (http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2001/Fairline-Targa-30-2391790/United-Kingdom#.VfRqTtJViko) is even dearer with an even lower spec.

Regarding Sportscruiser vs Flybridge, I'd prefer F/B (Phantom 38/40/42) but budget won't run to it at present. I don't fancy an F33/F34.

Regarding SCM, I'm not fixed on this as a destination but costs are a fraction of what I'd pay in Mallorca or SofF. However I accept that the devil is in the detail, for example, in Mallorca the exact size of the vessel can make one marine cheaper than another. Suspect the same applies to Antibes too. I don't have the capital to buy a berth but you never know, some kind forumite might have an empty berth that I could use for a few weeks over the summer ;). And as I said before, SWMBO likes the sound of a pool that she can lie around (although from what I've read on the SCM forum, there do appear to be issues with the pool in peak season).

I'm still optimistic that I can find a boat in the Med, with A/C and Bowthruster for the £45k mark and spend a further £5k on upgrades / re-furb. Plan would be to use it next summer then bring it back to the UK and sell it on for a profit.

Pete

Whitelighter

Visit site
Current equivilent is either

A75 (7.5" touch screen only)
C7 (7" screen buttons/rotary knob only)
E7 (7" screen with touch screen and buttons/knob)

I'm going for an A95

GPs receiver will work later MFDs
Raydome will not.

Other solutions get a c70 classic from ebay for a few hundred quid