Tiller pilot extensions

dewshi

Visit site
Is it OK to stack Simrad Tiller Pilot extension rods?

The longest one they do for the TP32 is 6 inches. I would need to use two to make it work in my cockpit.

Also, how bad would it be if the arm is not 90 degrees to the tiller? Is there any latitude, 5 - 10 degrees ??

Many thanks

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I doubt stacking two extensions would cause a problem.

The tiller pilot will work if the dimensions and angles are not exactly as specified, but at a disadvantage. I would have thought that 5 to 10 degrees wouldn't be very problematic unless the tiller pilot model is already marginal for the boat, but it will effectively increase the load on the the tiller pilot a little while reducing the power applied to the tiller. I would have thought it preferable that the tiller pilot /tiller connection pin was forward of the tiller pilot mounting, so that as the tiller swings away from its central position the 5 - 10 degrees 'error' reduced rather than increased.

Depending on how heavy on the helm your boat is, and how well it responds to the tiller being over, it might be preferable to move the pin on the tiller rather than stick rigidly to the specified perpendicular distance (18" IIRC) fro the rudder shaft. Reducing that distance will make the tiller pilot work harder (= more easily overpowered) while increasing the maximum angle the tiller pilot will swing the tiller/rudder; while increasing distance will reduce the load on the tillerpilot, but also reduce the maximum angle it will swing the tiller/rudder.

dewshi

Visit site
I doubt stacking two extensions would cause a problem.

The tiller pilot will work if the dimensions and angles are not exactly as specified, but at a disadvantage. I would have thought that 5 to 10 degrees wouldn't be very problematic unless the tiller pilot model is already marginal for the boat, but it will effectively increase the load on the the tiller pilot a little while reducing the power applied to the tiller. I would have thought it preferable that the tiller pilot /tiller connection pin was forward of the tiller pilot mounting, so that as the tiller swings away from its central position the 5 - 10 degrees 'error' reduced rather than increased.

Depending on how heavy on the helm your boat is, and how well it responds to the tiller being over, it might be preferable to move the pin on the tiller rather than stick rigidly to the specified perpendicular distance (18" IIRC) fro the rudder shaft. Reducing that distance will make the tiller pilot work harder (= more easily overpowered) while increasing the maximum angle the tiller pilot will swing the tiller/rudder; while increasing distance will reduce the load on the tillerpilot, but also reduce the maximum angle it will swing the tiller/rudder.

@LittleSister Thanks for this!