Tides Turbines Butterflies

madman

N/A
Visit site
Yesterday, I was out sailing and noticing I was'nt getting anywhere fast we put into the nearest port for a rest. We struck up conversation with an elderly sea dog painting an even more elderly boat (Impetigo I think it was called). He very patiently explained to us that this was due to the tiadal effect which I was surprised to learn made water go sideways as well as up and down. He also explained that this sideways motion could be used to generate power through the use of a turbine and stated that in a well known sailing area, the Solent, that one will be placed in the Needles channel . i was surprised and thought it might be a hazard to submarines which have got to go that way as there is a submarine barrier at the other end. The elderly gent had a bad fit of coughing at that point so we thought we'd better leave him alone to get better. So ... what effect will this generator have on the environment and will it cause loads more butterflies to flap their wings in the Amazon rain forest?

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
The elderly gent's name was'nt Ken by any chance, and if he was up the pole, was he using a harness or Bosun's Chair? On your other question, I'd suggest a considerable amount of chaos would result although the logical point for the planned generator woul be at the narrowest point where the tidal flow would be strongest.

<hr width=100% size=1>

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>The barrier at the Pompy end of the Solent stretch's between the land to the Forts, there is ample room for major vessels such as the QE2 and bigger to pass between the forts.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

bigmart

Visit site
No No No, Its not backwards electricity. You get the negative on the ebb, to go with the, positive generated on the flood.

Martin

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
I would have thought the best place to be Hurst Narrows
thus providing enough free electricity to supply most of the South of England, giving the IOW a much needed land link, enabling land reclamation of much of Christchurch Bay. Boats wishing to exit could do so via a big huge waterwheel along the lines of the Forth/Clyde canal.

<hr width=100% size=1>

bigmart

Visit site
Re: AC

Yeah! I suppose they have to be careful where they put them to ensure that you get a perfect Sine wave. No using those double high water areas.

The only thing I can't work out is how they get the tide to go in & out 50 times a second.

Martin

<hr width=100% size=1>

madman

N/A
Visit site
Yes but they float on top of the water rather than underneath, maybe that makes a difference?

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
Well you'll just be having tae stop the beans and sausages fur brekkie then unless you want tae be kent as the stinkie on a sailboat wi' a carpet!

<hr width=100% size=1>