Tides in the Bradwell Creek

morgandlm

Visit site
I put Bonsella on the "beach" next to the Bradwell scrubbing posts yesterday to scrub the hull. By my calculations there were 3.5 metres of tide at 0821 LT and she went aground exactly where I planned, as before. Also by my calculations she should have floated again around 1730. However, low water was reached 30 - 40 minutes earlier than predicted and in fact she floated again at 1540 (over 1.5 hours early). Now I know this is not an exact science but I was surprised how inexact it was yesterday. The tide came in much faster than predicted. The wind changed from NW into N but there was only a very small barometer change. I came home and checked my calculations but cannot explain it. Any ideas?
By the way I left it a bit late for getting back on board at the stern so had to "gymnastically" climb up onto the bow. If anybody saw me - thanks for not laughing out loud, it will not have been an elegant sight.
Morgan

MoodySabre

Visit site
Your calcs are the same as Belfield - 0821 and 1730 the same tidal height.

Lookingat the Harwich Haven site for tidal differences http://www.hha.co.uk/navigation.php it would seem that Bradwell today is +29mins which presumably means the tide is later than predicted. That only makes things worse!

I know that when I want to get back in I need 9ft on the gauge on the NC post. Sometimes I've been early and gone round in circles for an hour waiting for it and other times I'm an hour early and go straight in. Tis a mystery indeed.

MrCramp

Visit site
Any strong North wind pushes the tide down the North Sea and can make High Water early and higher than expected and then not go down as much as expected, or as fast. Southerly wind have the opposie effect.

One day we will get a high spring tide with prolonged gale force northerly wind and low pressure and you will be able to go to the Green Man in your dinghy!!

Look at the record of the tide asgainst expected to see how much it can vary.

http://www.pol.ac.uk/ntslf/sadata_tgi_ntslf_v2.php?code=Harwich&span=1

The above graph (for Harwich) actually confirms what you experienced.