threading a needle

romany123

Visit site
Forget sailing for a minute...lets get onto the serious practical bit....How the hell do you thread a needle??? my wife is away and so I thought I would sew a button on myself (just to show her how clever i am)I spent at least an hour on and of trying to thread the dam needle.Is it a secret handed down from mother to daughter? or is there a special tool that you use....I know there are a few clever people out there that can help me out.......Hey this is a serious post:)

Dave

davel

Visit site
Seriously.....
Go down to Sketchley's and get them to do it for you.
Destroy the receipt.
Prick you finger a few times (you've probably done this already).
Look pained but proud when the wife returns.

Dave L.

romany123

Visit site
Dave thats brilliant.....I already have lots of holes in my finger
Ta...still would like to know how the do it...have you noticed they never thread one in front of you...they sort of appear with them already threaded......

Dave

Canboria

Visit site
Er in doors has this thingy in the needle box that threads needles, have a look in yours, it like a triangle of thin wire with a flat handle you push it through the eye hole put in the cotton and pull it back, I always find wetting the cotton helps

S

Skyva_2

I can't believe I am replying to this, but if you are serious - trya loop of fuse wire thru the eye; that is if you have fuse wire any more, we have circuit breakers everywhere! I take my glasses off.....

Keith

romany123

Visit site
canboria/Skyva
Right had a look in the needlebox and cant find anything resembling that thingy you described. and no we dont have fuse wire just breakers. Its a realy tiny hole I'm amazed they make them so small.
Got an idea I will try the woman next door. I will let you know the outcome. Even better if i take my trousers around she might do it for me and show me the secret

Dave

romany123

Visit site
Nobody in...:-(
just had some gel coat colour past delivered so got him to have a go. He tried but diddent realy get into the spirit of the thing. I might ring my sister in the states,dont fancy asking my mum she thinks i'm dead clever and I dont want to spoil the illusion

Dave

yoda

Visit site
So a serious answer. In order
1) look for needle with larger eye.
2) cut thread with sharpest scissors available
3) don't lick end of thread as this draws out fine fibers that stop you threading said needle
4) find good light and thread needle
5) advise all ofspring to do one years needlework at school - I never regretted it.

Good luck.

romany123

Visit site
Yoda
I will give it a go. Im going to give one last attempt before I go to the pub.If that dose'nt work I will try again tomorow when the light is better.....Perhaps Ill take the needle and stuff to the pub and start a contest :)

Dave

davel

Visit site
> Even better if i take my trousers around she might do it for me and show me the secret

What a wonderful neighbour! ;-)

Dave L.

G

Being a bit of a MCP and not really involved with things domestic, do you mean that you can't buy them already threaded ?

romany123

Visit site
Took the needle and thread round to the pub last night and some old guy with classes made of beer bottle bottoms did it in two seconds flat....told me they call him Alice at weekends lol trouble was just before closing time one of the regulars said "lets see that needle Dave", when I held it up in tyrumph (is that how you spell it...to many beers) he whiped the thread back out.....thought it was dead funny. Now im back to square on and i dont know where the old fella lives.
Think I will give up and take up sky diving its got to be a better option

Dave

Chris_Stannard

Visit site
Seriously go to the sowing shop and buy a needle threading gadget. It is a diamond shape of fine wire attched to a small handle. You push the diamond eye through the eye of the needle and then put the thread through that. Pull the diamond back out of the needle and its threaded. On second thoughts furtle about in your wife's sowing box, you may well find she has one already. Mine does!

Chris Stannard