Thoughts regarding older boats please…..

dpb

Visit site
Having owned a variety of petrol powered sub 25 footers over the last 20 years culminating in a 21ft cuddy that I have owned from new, I am looking to go larger.

I have narrowed my preffered options to a diesel (usually a KAD42) powered 25ft sports cruiser from the early noughties, or a much older twin diesel (usually AD41’s) 30ft sports cruiser from the late 80’s. Both of which can be had, it would seem for a similar budget.

Our preference is for the larger boat but the main concern is that we would spend more time mending it than using it.

So the main questions are a) is it naïve to think that a 25 year old boat can be used regularly and reliably throughout a season if well maintained and looked after. And b) how much longer are the mechanical spares for a boat of this age going to be readily available, assuming they still are in the first place!

Any other related ‘food for thoughts’ would also be welcome.

enterprise

Visit site
This is the very dilemma that faced us a few years ago, we had a fixed budget and wanted larger or newer, asked a very similar question on this very forum.

Well I'm glad to report after buying the oldest boat we have ever owned (1994) were into our fourth season without major problems, I suppose we had the right boat,a well respected Fairline Targa 28/29 and the enjoyment so far has been worth every penny.

Do your homework first, buy a boat that's got pedigree and you can't go too far wrong, dont rule out slightly neglected, if the price reflects it then having a new interior and machinery can be as good as a new boat.

ian38_39

Visit site
We have had a 1990 twin petrol 26' sports cruiser with 2 year old mercruiser engines and a 1993 34' twin petrol flybridge with original engines over the last 5 years. Both on stern drives.

Neither have given any trouble and strangely the engines in the current boat are better than the 2 year old ones in the other one.

Buy a boat that has been properly maintained and looked after but as has been said before don't worry too much about the upholstery, this can be recovered at a reasonable price to make the boat look new again.

oldgit

Visit site
After about the first decade of a boats life,the care and attention that previous owners have lavished (or not) on the upkeep of the boat should become more important to you than its build date.It is perfectly possible to buy a reliable(ish) 10 or 20 year old boat and have lots of fun on a budget.The older the boat the more care will be needed to find and buy a good-un.Personally have always found it harder to find decent boats than buy them.
Now is probably a good time to buy provided you have the cash in your hand/bank and can procede smartly with purchase.
As for maintance my previous boat was 30 years old and sensibly priced spares were no problem,simply because by now everybody and their wife had piled into the pattern aftermarket producing reasonable parts at a fraction of Volvo prices.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
I would guess that engines might cost well in excess or 50% of an old boat's value & would constitute the major risk.

That's one reason why I prefer my sluggardly 37 year old raggie. Replacing the engine 4 years ago cost well under 10k & even if I re-rigged her too, it would only slightly bust that limit.

I also spent 3 years sailing her with an unreliable engine, I couldn't have done that with a power boat. Other than that I have a small budget for replacing & repairing stuff every year (under 1k) and seldom get close to spending it all. But i enjoy finding a bargain, replacing like with like & buy secondhand where I can.

Jim@sea

Visit site
Its all down to condition and what type of owner its had. After a gap of 15 years in 2006 I started looking for a 20 - 25ft boat which I could trail. At the time I was living in N France and everywhere there were boats for sale, new and used. I was shown a 1986 boat with an inboard diesel which I looked at but disregarded because of its age, overpriced and covered in dust. Anyway I continued to look and after looking at thickness of GRP and door fittings, installation etc., I went back to see the 20 year old boat and found out that it was unusual insomuch that although 20 years, it was one owner from new, there were reciepts for everything virtually since new, and throught its life it was stored undercover for the winter. Anyway being an Ex Car Auction Manager I bid them 20% less than the asking price, so I owned it.
So nearly 5 years later I can say I havent regretted it. Its built like they used to make boats, the Engine is an Iveco Diesel which did not make it to the UK in boats but its reputation in Vans is legendary.
Anyway there are thousands of boats for sale, condition is one of the most important factors and to get a good boat you need to travel to find the best for your budget.
I have had 9 boats including a, 26ft Conway power boat (Brilliant) Moody 30 Yacht (I wish I had it now) 33ft Nauticat ( a floating apartment) Princess 33 (New but I got my money back ) etc. So keep looking

DAKA

Visit site
Having owned a variety of petrol powered sub 25 footers over the last 20 years culminating in a 21ft cuddy that I have owned from new, I am looking to go larger.

I have narrowed my preffered options to a diesel (usually a KAD42) powered 25ft sports cruiser from the early noughties, or a much older twin diesel (usually AD41’s) 30ft sports cruiser from the late 80’s. Both of which can be had, it would seem for a similar budget.

Our preference is for the larger boat but the main concern is that we would spend more time mending it than using it.

So the main questions are a) is it naïve to think that a 25 year old boat can be used regularly and reliably throughout a season if well maintained and looked after. And b) how much longer are the mechanical spares for a boat of this age going to be readily available, assuming they still are in the first place!

Any other related ‘food for thoughts’ would also be welcome.

Old boats can be more reliable than news ones as long as looked after.

I know a lot of older boats ( I went miles in a 15-17 year old corniche with twin AD41's) can be very reliable if looked after.
I also know some new boats that have repeatedly broken down.

Age wouldnt put me off.

I dont expect everyone to agree with me and I dont intend to argue but thats my honest opinion.

Im not so sure about leaving old legs submerged year round.

rlw

Visit site
Hi

I've owned 2 AD41 powered sunseekers and providing they have been well looked after you will find they are bulletproof engines. Never had any major issues and once the DP 290 drives have had new seals and clutch after about 1000 hours you wont have much problems. Budget say 3 K for the following : cooling system clean, charge air cooler clean, valves and the above works on the drives and you should have manys year of trouble free boating.

good luck

RLW

kashurst

Visit site
as previous posts have said find one you like and check it out. Make sure the engines and hull are free of major issues (damage, knackered intercoolers etc). Anything else you can sort out as you go. I have had a few older boats and the first season tends to reveal most issues. I usually find electrical connection problems (on fridges bizzarely?) that are usually just tired crimp connectors (replace or tweak with pliers). Also leaking seals on water pumps - you can usually replace the seals for £20 or so.

Assume the boat will play up in the first year so don't go to far from home, fix anything you find as you find it and keep on top of the maintenance thereafter. You will quickly have a very sound boat. Try and pick a boat with popular engines and parts should be OK for quite a while.

Another good point about older boats is that they tend to have mechanical fuel injection - smoky and not as efficient but once properly serviced will run and run. I am wondering what these newer electronically injected engines will be like when they are 10 years old. Have a look at boats that have been on inland waterways but have been well looked after. They seem to suffer less from corrosion issues (damp air but not salty). Have fun looking - bound to be bargains at the moment.

dpb

Visit site
Thank you for your posts.
I must say that I was expecting the answers to be discouraging when so far they have been quite the opposite! I appreciate the idea of expecting hassles to show themselves in the first year, especially I suppose if I find a boat that has spent some time on a river where the stresses in use are lower.
It will be interesting to see further comments but in the meanwhile thanks again!

hlb

RIP
Visit site
I'm not sure river work is any help, diesel engines like to work. at designed temperatures, they can not get to that on a river.

My 23 year old boat, needs a few things doing every year. AS it did when I bought her twelve years ago. It always get's done. She's never been unreliable, well apart from the times she's had some thing wrong. New parts seem as unreliable as old parts. Some replacements seem to last for twenty or more years. Others dont last six month.

rafiki_

Visit site
Thank you for your posts.
I must say that I was expecting the answers to be discouraging when so far they have been quite the opposite! I appreciate the idea of expecting hassles to show themselves in the first year, especially I suppose if I find a boat that has spent some time on a river where the stresses in use are lower.
It will be interesting to see further comments but in the meanwhile thanks again!

Rafiki currently lives on a river, but we will be venturing out into the Brizzle Channel later into the season. We quite like river cruising, having soent several seasons on the Norfolk Broads in the past. Quiet, relaxing, picturesque. What is there not to like?

LittleShip

Visit site
My boat is now 38 years old and I have no problems with reliability....... but as the Major said to me this weekend.

"Your a martyr to the cause"

Age of a vessel has nothing to do with reliability; the servicing regime has everything to do with it. Boat should be serviced like planes...... Preventative maintenance is the answer and not many boat owners do that. There are many highly polished boats that the engines and electrics are about to give up the ghost. Mind you my boat is also wood so what do I know.

Tom

Morpheous

Visit site
I have an '89 Sunseeker powered by twin AD41'S. I have had to spent some dosh because I bought a boat only in reasonable condition, although now its in pretty good condition. I would recommend getting a mechanical survey done by reputable engineers if like me you are not especially mechanically minded. Now its settled down and we have pretty much trouble free boating (he says touching wood).

For us the most important thing was the twin diesels, we wanted to be able to cruise reasonable distances and that is challenging on the Bristol Channel with a petrol boat due to limited availability. We were also advised that twins are a safer bet if you have an engine failure. And we have, so they were right.

With an older boat there will always be maintenance tasks to be done, but that is half the fun of it for me. Service history and keeping it up is important too.

For me it has worked much better having an older boat I can use, than a new one that I would be limited with.

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
Jedi is older than SWMBO, still smokes like a Brixham fishwife and has her occasional moments but was otherwise fundamentally sound. I'm a tinkerer by nature and, on the whole, the net effect is beneficial most of the time. Every now and again something significant needs doing and this year will be the Year of the Heat Exchangers and the Year of The Forward Saloon Roof Leaks.

Or maybe, if the weather is good, I'll forget the leak like I did last year:)

Tom Price

N/A
Visit site
[QUOTE=rafiki: We quite like river cruising, having spent several seasons on the Norfolk Broads in the past."

Now that DOES restrict your choice - no superchargers, no exposed props . . . a different market altogether. And after the Bristol Channel maybe the Shannon?

Last edited:

ian38_39

Visit site
On the river boat subject.

I have found that boats used at sea will generally be better maintained than those used solely on the river.

We are based on the Norfolk Broads but spend a fair amount of time at sea, as such the boat is maintained as if our lives depended on it. On the river the bank is 20' away if it all goes pear shaped and when we were looking on the Thames a few years ago the general maintenance seemed to reflect this.

We are part of a small non club (for legal reasons) the idea being to encourage those not sure about taking their boat to sea to take the plunge while others are around.

The boats that tend to fall at the first hurdle are invariably those that have not been to sea for a few years.

Not to say you can't find a well maintained river boat, it is just a lot harder.