Thoughts regarding older boats please…..

dragoon

Visit site
Mechanically, older boats seem to suffer mostly from the marine cooling system requiring maintenance. That's been my experience anyhow, dealing both with my boat (with 31 year old engines now) and talking with/assisting others. It's important that issues here are not left as it can spell the end of the motor.....

That aside, my view on the older VP engines is that;

- they're understressed compared to newer ones
- the old 40/41 series are smooth running 6cyl lumps
- they work on simple injection technology which (although not as efficient as the common-rail system) has a proven history in the marine environment.
- there's virtually no electronics to go wrong.

Personally I would still avoid legs on an older boat, especially if history of them is unknown - but others might disagree.

If you go into a purchase with open eyes, and are not afraid of some DIY, an older boat can be an ideal way to upgrade. All IMHO of course.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Paul

epervier

Visit site
I'm another with an older twin diesel boat, with, arguably, good build pedigree, as others have already stated, if you are prepared to do preventive maintenance rather than remedial.they should be relatively trouble free, having said that, don't take this in any way as a guarantee implied or given:D