THOSE OF US WITH BOATS IN THE MED

John100156

Visit site
Hi John, Hope all OK. I love Denia, we had a house near there for years, sold about 4 years ago.
Hi Graham

Yes we're all well thanks, just eager to get out to SC and the boat! We liked Denia, nice marina and fun watching the ferries popping in and out, we spent about a week there when we last visited and popped over to Ibiza just for the day. Moraira is not that far away too as I recall.

We will probably just take a short run down to Las Fuentes (~26nm from SC) to clear the cobwebs when we eventually get out, C-19 permitting....

mcanderson

Visit site
Anyone heard if we will be allowed back into France in July ?
The borders with the rest of the surrounding countries to France are due to open 15 June. As I’m currently based in Germany and we also have a place in France I’m heading down next Saturday with all the paperwork ready to go.
You could fly U.K. Germany (etc) and then to France if you are getting itchy feet. Not sure about the return and quarantine.

Asm

Visit site
why cant they deploy thr oxygen masks on planes then there would be no air circulating in the cabin.
The oxygen (for that row of seats) comes from a chemical oxygen generator, when the mask is pulled down it triggers the reaction, it lasts for 15mins or so. Before the aircraft can fly again the generator has to be replaced!

Truro Ex Pat

Visit site
I am happy to drive down end of June or early July got flight booked end of June but have not been down since September so eager to go.
I can stay down for a few weeks so can wait out the quarantine thing or do it in the UK if I have to?

Hooligan

Visit site
The oxygen (for that row of seats) comes from a chemical oxygen generator, when the mask is pulled down it triggers the reaction, it lasts for 15mins or so. Before the aircraft can fly again the generator has to be replaced!
I think there will be no worries re quarantine coming back to the U.K. it really is a bit of a farce especially when you consider the thousands of people who demonstrated today across the country. It looks frankly as if social distancing is a convenience until one finds a reason not to do it. Likewise quarantine will be as well. Now if you went to Hong Kong as my son just did you would have a wristband attached to you and you would not be able to set foot outside your door without the police arriving pronto. I think the only worry we all have is whether countries in the EU decide to make us quarantine on the way in unless they accept a movable boat as a satisfactory place. It is my hope that the EU have more sense than those masquerading as our government.

jrudge

Visit site
I did wonder if the fly to Germany then onto Spain would work.

in theory on arrival I’m Mallorca your are coming from Germany and are a schengen flight. I say in theory as I don’t know if the Spanish will impose more checks at the moment.

Then - assuming U.K. are not allowed in from 1 July - what do the Spanish say when you show a uk passport.

Driving is probably boarderless But I am not sure sure about flying.

Hooligan

Visit site
You could probably take the ferry to Ireland and then a ferry to Spain although I believe that ferry takes 28 hours! Then drive from Bilbao to Barcelona and get the ferry to Mallorca. Trouble is if you have a British passport and the Spanish are able to or wish to stop you at entry you may end up making a long trip on a ferry and then doing “time”!! Personally I think by end June this nonsense re quarantine on travel will be resolved with face saving air bridges. Which is what should have happened in the first place frankly ie focus on countries where infections are high and growing like for example Brazil.

Hurricane

Visit site
You could probably take the ferry to Ireland and then a ferry to Spain although I believe that ferry takes 28 hours! Then drive from Bilbao to Barcelona and get the ferry to Mallorca. Trouble is if you have a British passport and the Spanish are able to or wish to stop you at entry you may end up making a long trip on a ferry and then doing “time”!! Personally I think by end June this nonsense re quarantine on travel will be resolved with face saving air bridges. Which is what should have happened in the first place frankly ie focus on countries where infections are high and growing like for example Brazil.
Actually, you don't need to go via Ireland.
There are loads of regular (usually) sailings from Portsmouth and Plymouth to Santander and Bilbao.
Crossing times are usually less than 24 hours although there is one that takes two nights and stops in Roscoff for crew changes and restocking.
There are (usually) five different ferries doing the crossing - run by Brittany Ferries
Three cheap (truckers) style ships and two posher ones.
There are new ships on order as well.
Brittany Ferries call the posher ones (the Cap Finisterre and the Pont Aven) cruises and are more like cruise liners than ferries.
Thats a bit of an exaggeration but they are comfortable with silver service restaurants.

For most of the Sant Carles lot, this is the preferred way to travel out to Spain.
Easy and comfortable.
So, your idea isn't "You could probably" - it is more like "Our usual way"

jrudge

Visit site
But the issue is it comes from the U.K. and the Spanish might not let the brits in.

so it depends if the criteria is coming from U.K. or have a UK passport ( unless you can prove you don’t live there )

Hooligan

Visit site
Actually, you don't need to go via Ireland.
There are loads of regular (usually) sailings from Portsmouth and Plymouth to Santander and Bilbao.
Crossing times are usually less than 24 hours although there is one that takes two nights and stops in Roscoff for crew changes and restocking.
There are (usually) five different ferries doing the crossing - run by Brittany Ferries
Three cheap (truckers) style ships and two posher ones.
There are new ships on order as well.
Brittany Ferries call the posher ones (the Cap Finisterre and the Pont Aven) cruises and are more like cruise liners than ferries.
Thats a bit of an exaggeration but they are comfortable with silver service restaurants.

For most of the Sant Carles lot, this is the preferred way to travel out to Spain.
Easy and comfortable.
So, your idea isn't "You could probably" - it is more like "Our usual way"
I was thinking more if quarantine rules were imposed on people coming from the U.K. by Spain and France and you couldn’t go direct from here - as response to JRudge. But I think all will be fine, or at least hoping??

mcanderson

Visit site
As far as I am aware the Germans are not going to quarantine Brits arriving, so swapping flights to a Spanish one should be simple. As for the arrival in Spain, there should be no boarder checks as the big idea is to open up from 15 June. So therefore no one to check what passport you are on.

Like I mentioned we have our attestasion paperwork ready, proof of our place in France. A signed letter from my employer stating our place in France is our primary residence and that I reside in Germany only for work reasons, it will be dark and I will wear sunglasses. What could go wrong!

Seastoke

Visit site
Wow thanks

Portofino

Visit site
As far as I am aware the Germans are not going to quarantine Brits arriving, so swapping flights to a Spanish one should be simple. As for the arrival in Spain, there should be no boarder checks as the big idea is to open up from 15 June. So therefore no one to check what passport you are on.

Like I mentioned we have our attestasion paperwork ready, proof of our place in France. A signed letter from my employer stating our place in France is our primary residence and that I reside in Germany only for work reasons, it will be dark and I will wear sunglasses. What could go wrong!
Don’t think you will need proof of residence......and be careful with a U.K. plated car as you only suppose by the letter of the law after 6 month or so use a local plated car , some states allow up to 12 months for relocated workers .To get a local plated car then you move to a appropriate tax code locally , your might not like that ?
Think long and hard before getting too deep into Fr taxation by accidentally declaring ( by what ever means ) Fr is your primary residence.

Here is the latest on the 15 th big get away within the EU .
News

Last edited: