Think I upset a yachtie is this a crime??

Seastoke

Visit site
Well said.

I only speak for my self ,that is why I did not agree with what he says. as having a 35 mobo and coming from a marina iam in is list as cretins , he has is right to his opinion but as I said we should all be polite even if we disagree ,and it is not my job to teach him forum etiquette,, and shall we move on

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I only speak for my self ,that is why I did not agree with what he says. as having a 35 mobo and coming from a marina iam in is list as cretins , he has is right to his opinion but as I said we should all be polite even if we disagree ,and it is not my job to teach him forum etiquette,, and shall we move on

Looks like he has run off with his tail between his legs for a while so some good has come of it. I am certain he will be back soon being abusive to people again

So am I to understand that there is a marina with several boats in it but his super cruiser is outside on its own. I wonder why that might be

jon and michie

Visit site
Funny you should say that I think it was - more or less opposite the visitor pontoons if I recall.

That said you will fully understand where I'm coming from with what I was facing with regards to manoeuvring, tides,winds users and vessels

Last edited:

Aja

Visit site
I can't be ar$ed reading through all the posts, but yes, it can be a crime. It would appear that a loaf of boats (purposefully not differentiating) don't know that in places the can be local bye-laws in place restricting speed.
A favourite place to be caught out is the stretch at the the top of the Kyles between Colintraive and Kames. There isn't a speed limit, it is defined as a no wash area. The are a number of anchorages in the area, which I take to be different from moorings. Boats are more likely to be occupied at anchor.
The no wash area is extemely well advertised, but not always adhered to.
In my case bruised ribs are not funny after being thrown against the saloon table.

Regards
Donald

jon and michie

Visit site
Donald - the point I am making is.
1 under the speed limit
2 tide against me
3 slight wind behind me
4 vessels moored up all around me
5 ribs and other users.
6 depth
7 single engine with duo props
All this I was concentrating on and only a small amount of wash which I was un aware of at the time - which I could of made a bigger splash in the bath.

Aja

Visit site
Donald - the point I am making is.
1 under the speed limit
2 tide against me
3 slight wind behind me
4 vessels moored up all around me
5 ribs and other users.
6 depth
7 single engine with duo props
All this I was concentrating on and only a small amount of wash which I was un aware of at the time - which I could of made a bigger splash in the bath.

Can't argue with the above. My point was that it can be an offence to go too fast. If the authorities make the wording slightly different and advertise widely then there might not be the problems you experienced.
People just don't seem to be fully aware.

Edit... just when I'm thinking about it, to say that a motorboat can't manoeuvre safely under 5 knots due to its underwater shape is no defence for it being right to go over 5 knots in a confined area. Not directed at you, but noticed it being said earlier....

Donald

Last edited:

Nograss

Visit site
I am truly saddened by some of the comments and attitudes here. I speak as an ex-all-out-petrolhead motorboater who now mainly sails and still has the occasional fuel-induced blast around. But the animosity evident in this thread, judging by some of the comments, towards those who complain about speed/wash shows a real lack of understanding. Do you really think people like to complain about nothing? Really? I have lost count of the times I have witnessed boats blatantly speeding through areas of moorings leaving boats rolling in their wake. I have also lost count of the times where I have witnessed boats almost certainly not exceeding the 8 knot speed limit through areas of moorings but still their wake leaves boats behind them rolling violently, often some time after they have passed. I have witnessed this from the relative safety of a pontoon and also from being onboard on a swinging mooring. I can tell you it really isn't very nice! In fact, on many occasions it can be downright dangerous. Sure the boats can take it when at sea, but what about the effect of sudden violent pitching and rolling on deck fittings and the mooring tackle? But more importantly, what about the soft squidgy carbon-based life forms on board? If you have ever been thrown across the cabin by sudden and unexpected wash on an otherwise calm day then you will understand.

One other point, if you happen to look behind at how small your wake looks from 10 - 15 feet up on your flybridge, remember that your height is flattening your perspective and your 'small' wake might seem bloody scary as it heads towards someone in a dinghy with their backside perched a few inches above the water. Yes this has happened to me travelling from shore to swinging mooring, arriving at the boat absolutely drenched in cold salty water. That was an experience I'd rather not repeat.

I love boats, all kinds of boats, just being on the water is a pleasure. But please, please, please can we not all show a little more consideration and due regard for good seamanship and our fellow water lovers?

SnaxMuppet

Plymouth, Devon, UK, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, Uni
Visit site
Well said nograss.

I was out in Plymouth today and a Merry Fisher 805 went by my pontoon at what looked like a perfectly acceptable speed until his wake hit the pontoon. Boats tied up rolled around with fenders popping out from between the boat and pontoon. I think all boats were OK but this happens every day here... every day. I can't leave my boat on the pontoon and walk away... I am scared it will get damaged. That isn't how boating should be.

I seldom say anything now. I just know the attitude these people have means that my pleas will fall on deaf ears. It needs more action from the harbour master and from those with authority but they are seldom around.

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
. . . snip . . .

I love boats, all kinds of boats, just being on the water is a pleasure. But please, please, please can we not all show a little more consideration and due regard for good seamanship and our fellow water lovers?

+1

If we all behaved like gentlemen there would be few problems with wake in inappropriate situations. It's a simple matter of human kindness and decency.

When passing near small craft (e.g. open angling boats, rowers, kids in dinghy) or moored vessels we slow to crawl at 3-4kt and yes it is still possible to steer a large vessel at such speeds. No excuse for claiming adherence to arbitrary speed limits, everybody knows what sort of wake their own vessel makes at different speeds.

CLB

Visit site
I think the problem is often having a speed limit at all. Where the concern is wash, ie passing moored boats etc, a speed limit doesn't make sense. Anything above hull speed will create excessive wash and the smaller the boat, the lower the hull speed. That is why it is often small boats that cause the largest wash. A 60 footer can probably travel at 8 knots with almost zero wash, but a 20 footer will create a large wake at the same speed. The 10 knot limit on Portsmouth is a rediculous speed for most motorboats. They might as well be on the plane as they will produce less wash. What we need is zero wash zones where wash is a problem, ie passed moored boats or to protect banksides etc, and speed limits where the concern is safety rather than wash. In the speed limit zones, the speed should be set appropriately for safety, but then wash should be expected and accepted. I believe that in the US where they have zero wash zones, you can get done if your bow drops, even slightly, when you come off the throttle.

Angele

Visit site
As a life long raggie, I had my first go at the helm of a mobo 6 weeks ago. Specifically, this was a narrowboat on the Basingstoke Canal.

The canal's bylaws specify a maximum speed of 4 mph (note mph not knots) and a requirement not to make waves. Well, we spent the whole time doing a tad under 3 mph. Everyone walking along the towpath was overtaking us. And yet, as we passed one nice looking house backing onto the canal (which also had a narrowboat moored at the bottom of the garden), a man came running out of the house to the canal bank gesturing vigorously for us to slow down, which I duly did.

I then gave it some serious consideration and a bit of experimentation. At the speed we were doing there was some wake, but very modest, and the amount of wake produced appeared constant irrespective of speed up to about 4 mph. Above that it did become noticeably greater.

So, my conclusion was that the guy was a knob with a grudge against people using HIS canal.

CLB

Visit site
As a life long raggie, I had my first go at the helm of a mobo 6 weeks ago. Specifically, this was a narrowboat on the Basingstoke Canal.

The canal's bylaws specify a maximum speed of 4 mph (note mph not knots) and a requirement not to make waves. Well, we spent the whole time doing a tad under 3 mph. Everyone walking along the towpath was overtaking us. And yet, as we passed one nice looking house backing onto the canal (which also had a narrowboat moored at the bottom of the garden), a man came running out of the house to the canal bank gesturing vigorously for us to slow down, which I duly did.

I then gave it some serious consideration and a bit of experimentation. At the speed we were doing there was some wake, but very modest, and the amount of wake produced appeared constant irrespective of speed up to about 4 mph. Above that it did become noticeably greater.

So, my conclusion was that the guy was a knob with a grudge against people using HIS canal.

Welcome to our world :D

SnaxMuppet

Plymouth, Devon, UK, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, Uni
Visit site
I believe that in the US where they have zero wash zones, you can get done if your bow drops, even slightly, when you come off the throttle.
They do.

I have done a lot of boating around Cape Coral in Florida. They have massive signs saying "NO WAKE"... speed has nothing to do with it... some of these no wake areas are to protect property but it is also to protect wildlife and the banks and shores from excessive erosion.