Thin wire connections

donm

Visit site
I am trying to tidy up the connections between the chart plotter, antenna and the radio which I made some time ago using gel connectors. This has produced a clump of connections looking a bit like an overloaded blackberry bush, and to make matters worse I appear to have dislodged some connections when working on the general electric installation. The wires are very fine and I am wondering if there is a better way of connecting them and producing a tidier and more ordered result?

donm

Visit site
Do I need to strip the cable to expose the core or will the clamp break through the core and make a connection? I have looked at a couple of videos but they only seem to show domestic wiring which is solid core and much more substantial than the thin wiring on the plotter etc

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I don’t get on with the Wago connectors on nmea stuff. Sure the gel onnectors are a bit untidy. They are sure, on fine braided wire though, and if the appearance offends you, put them in a box.

donm

Visit site
I don’t get on with the Wago connectors on nmea stuff. Sure the gel onnectors are a bit untidy. They are sure, on fine braided wire though, and if the appearance offends you, put them in a box.
The connections are a bit vulnerable where they are but are restricted by the cable lengths from the plotter and radio. I should have put them in a box when I did them in the first place. I might have to do a bit of re-jigging to make it easier to do a better job!

noelex

Visit site
One of the neatest way to reliably connect small wires is to solder and then use glue lined heatshrink.

For antenna connections in coax attaching plugs is better, but bulkier.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Thanks - I feared that was the case
Which is easy in 12v power cables, but as you know, not so easy on tiny braided data cables. I use those Wago things for almost all my power connections, like interior joints in solar panel wires. Just not for data. Too small, too fiddly and too hard to make certain the soft, braided copper has gone right into the connector.

Boathook

Visit site
Which is easy in 12v power cables, but as you know, not so easy on tiny braided data cables. I use those Wago things for almost all my power connections, like interior joints in solar panel wires. Just not for data. Too small, too fiddly and too hard to make certain the soft, braided copper has gone right into the connector.
I’ve started to use the wago for data cables. Nice and easy to use and if the cables need to be rerouted it is easy. If you solder it is a pain to take apart.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Do I need to strip the cable to expose the core or will the clamp break through the core and make a connection? I have looked at a couple of videos but they only seem to show domestic wiring which is solid core and much more substantial than the thin wiring on the plotter etc
Yes, strip a good amount of insulation off, so the exposed copper if fully under the clamp, once you've done one you'll see how easy it is.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I have used 1000s of Wago connectors on the thinnest of wires from the likes of Garmin, Raymarine et al and never had a problem, ever.

Those gel connectors an an abomination, they are IDC connectors and have no place in boat electrics, sorry.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Thanks - I feared that was the case
No need to fear stripping some insulation back, get yourself a decent cable stripper. Those connectors shown in post #7 are not Wagos, but the principal of the stripped wire is the same.

These would last a lifetime if you look after them C.K Wire Stripper 10 1/4" (265mm) - Screwfix

There are cheaper around, but stick to the style.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I have used 1000s of Wago connectors on the thinnest of wires from the likes of Garmin, Raymarine et al and never had a problem, ever.

Those gel connectors an an abomination, they are IDC connectors and have no place in boat electrics, sorry.
And yet they work, and for many years usually. Their design purpose is data connections. Wago connectors are not designed with that in mind, at least not primarily. Not sure why you hate them so much, Obviously, if you’re able to get a good connection with wagos, and are happy with the waterproofing, why not.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
No need to fear stripping some insulation back, get yourself a decent cable stripper. Those connectors shown in post #7 are not Wagos, but the principal of the stripped wire is the same.

These would last a lifetime if you look after them C.K Wire Stripper 10 1/4" (265mm) - Screwfix

There are cheaper around, but stick to the style.
Again, it’s what you’re used to. I like my cat5 tools if I have to strip data insulation, like for fitting a NMEA2000 connector on board.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
And yet they work, and for many years usually. Their design purpose is data connections. Wago connectors are not designed with that in mind, at least not primarily. Not sure why you hate them so much, Obviously, if you’re able to get a good connection with wagos, and are happy with the waterproofing, why not.
I hate them so much because they are not suitable for marine electronics. They are nasty, horrible IDC connectors, Google IDC connectors.