Thieving gits stole sea cadets navigation training stuff!

catseven

ally force 3 to 4 - good - East Coast, UK
Visit site
I was trawling through the 'Wanted' forum a week or so ago and came across the post copied below which is self explanatory.

"Hello everyone. I hope no-one thinks this is cheeky and hopefully there are lots of generous people who want to help youngsters with their navigation. I have been roped into teaching navigation to my local sea cadet unit which is in a deprived area of Yorkshire. All their charts, plotters, dividers etc were stolen (along with stuff that the thieves might actually have found more useful) last year, so I am asking if anyone has any old charts (RYA training charts would be great but any charts will be of use). The charts will not be used for navigation at sea so it doesn't matter if they are out of date - I will purely be teaching shorebased stuff. It would also be good if anyone had any old plotters (perhaps they are cracked or damaged but just about usable), dividers (perhaps bent but just about usable) or anything else that you might think is useful lying around (old almanacs/tide tables?) that you haven't used for ages and are unlikely to use again. Thanks a lot for looking at this and thanks even more if you can help, it will be much appreciated by myself and the cadets."

I hate the thought of the thieving gits spoiling youngsters attempts to get knowledge and experience. Anyway I found some old RYA training charts and Practice stuff from a few years ago and sent them off to 'random808' the poster of the story (full link - now about three pages down the wanted forum http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1910688/an/0/page/2#1910688 )

He phoned to thank me for what I had sent. I asked how much stuff he had managed to get and he replied that he'd been sent quite a few charts(more would be usefull!) but no dividers, plotters or other stuff.

So, the bottom line is, can anyone else help these sea cadets replenish their navigation training kit?

Apologies if I have broken forum rules in brining this matter from another forum to your attention but the theiving gits made my blood boil!

catseven

Laurin

Visit site
Hi All,

I've just been exchanging PM's with Tim and have provisionally arranged for me to deliver some of my stuff to my Parents place in Yorkshire where he will pick up. We are going to Yorkshire weekend of 4th August, so if anybody has anything they can donate, and could get to me (possibly via Full Circle if thats ok with Jim), I can save on some postage costs. Would be nice to put together a package from the East Coast Forum /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
When I was trying to get some stuff for Sea Scouts I contacted the Cambridge University RN Unit and they gave me some folios.

As Sea Cadets are RN affiliated and my Sea Scouts are not have you tried the RN for equipment?

If Google URNU should get lots of contacts as there are about 15 of them around the country

Laurin

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Karen
I have some stuff that I was going to post tonight, I can send direct to you if it makes it easier, up to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just trying to save on some postage... so if you can get it to me a no/low cost then this would work... possibly via Jim if you see him in the next couple of weeks, I'm sure we'll catch up with him before we travel up north

FullCircle

Visit site
Send it all to me, I have experience of the Seaman's Mission.

I also have some charts by Cook Tours (East Coast Ltd) that I can toss in the bucket.

Sixpence

Visit site
Jim, I'll stick my meagre donation in the post to you, quite like the idea of a sort of red cross parcel from here, might be a nice surprise for them, please PM your address, I've forgotten it