Thieves in Messalonghi

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
We were in Messalonghi the other day.
We went in the marina but found it to be expensive (30 euros plus electricity plus water) per night so we went on the town quay with 7 other boats where it was free and nearer to the town.
Whilst there a plain clothed Policeman visited all the boats and warned that there were thieves in the area who break into boats and use pepper spray. We were advised to close all hatches overnight and leave no gear out.
During the night they parked a police car on the town quay.
Nothing happened but it was worrying.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
This is nothing new Nost , we now have had three friends who have had stuff stolen while on the quay , one time while we was on board having a drink on their boat right in front of our eyes , and we didn't notices anything unlit she looked for her hand bag .
the gypsies are very good at distracting you .

You are much better off to anchor , although there have been time when the PP will move you on in the bay .

Last edited:

OldBawley

Visit site
We ware boarded and robed by gypsy kids ( Age hard to tell, about 15 years old ) while at anchor.
Anchored south coast of Rhodos.
The proud of his work robber suggested I could buy back my laptop. Other stuff was already sold.
He could not guarantee the laptop was still working ( He did not know how to use it ) and would not show it to me. He wanted 3000 € for it, witch I would have paid because all my cruising years of Pics and story´s were in there.
Now I make two back up´s each Sunday. AND hide them.
Police in Rhodes is afraid of the big ethnic group, did nothing.
The young adults swim head covered by a polystyrene fish crate. Two guys, one on the lookout, the other one loading the fish box with your stuff.

rigman

Visit site
We were in Messalonghi the other day.
We went in the marina but found it to be expensive (30 euros plus electricity plus water) per night so we went on the town quay with 7 other boats where it was free and nearer to the town.
Whilst there a plain clothed Policeman visited all the boats and warned that there were thieves in the area who break into boats and use pepper spray. We were advised to close all hatches overnight and leave no gear out.
During the night they parked a police car on the town quay.
Nothing happened but it was worrying.

Next time pay 30 euros and have piece of mind. Cheap when you might have your boat stripped. I have been in Messolonghi many times and would now never stay on the town quay. The gypsies (and now illegal immigrants) are now bolder and quite aggressive and you need eyes in the back of your head. Plenty boats at anchor this year and as long as you stay well clear of the fairway to allow coasters passing the PP leave you alone.

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
We left the following morning with no incidents.
I think it was good of the Police to warn every boat and at least leave a car in front of our boat to make them think.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Another thing you need to be aware of being on the quay is , An NW or W will send in a swell and we now seen two boat badly damaged after being pinned on the quay .
If you are going on there you maybe just as well to med moor . In which case not only it make it harder for the thieves but it also make it easier to escape it a blow arrives .

Last edited:

Artic Warrior

Visit site
Thank you all for the information,,,,i know it happens in a few places around the med but good to hear actual accounts.
I was in Fetihei in Greece and an itlalian boat was robbed, but he went out for the day and left all hatches open.
I keep an old laptop,old debit card, second wallet with 40 euroes to give to a robber if ever needed.
And keep the proper ones in a safe welded to the boat.

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
Thank you all for the information,,,,i know it happens in a few places around the med but good to hear actual accounts.
I was in Fetihei in Greece and an itlalian boat was robbed, but he went out for the day and left all hatches open.
I keep an old laptop,old debit card, second wallet with 40 euroes to give to a robber if ever needed.
And keep the proper ones in a safe welded to the boat.

Hope they don't read this forum Artic!

Ravi

Visit site
That's true but there is a twist to my quote.....of which I obviously cant reveal....

Messalongi - In 2014, friends woke, in the middle of the night, to find a gypsy youth in the saloon rifling through a handbag. The kid just laughed and jumped off the boat and stood with his pals, on the quay, laughing. I went through there a few times last year and had concerned warnings from the police but no incidents. One visit, there was a very shifty group hanging around and, since we planned a 'late night out', I ended up moving to the marina.

It is strange and unfortunate since I have only seen honesty everywhere else in Greece. In fact, I never locked up the boat anywhere else and never had anything stolen other than random footwear robberies from various quaysides. It took me a while to realise that it was the local dogs and that I wasn't being stalked by a one legged kleptomaniac..