Them and Us

tcm

Visit site
Re: If the cap fits...

It's very nasty of you to mock the site : clearly some schoolkids have put in quite few hours hard work designing it all.

on other matters, the stupid hat in your picture seems to fit very badly indeed.

G

Re: If the cap fits...

That's not my hat...and it's very unkind of you to draw attention to my hydrocephalic appearance

Badger

Visit site
Ethics

What nobody has mentioned is the dubious ethics of promoting another website through the good offices of ybw.com. It's bit like a disgrunteld former employee trying to steal the old firms customers. I think they are lucky ybw.com have been so tolerant.

Peppermint

Home in Chilterns, Boat in Southampton, Another bo
Visit site
Re: Nostalgia ain\'t what it was

I piled into this forum at the outset and it was the first such BB I'd tried.

I enjoyed the freewheeling banter that was then it's currency. The situation that led to it's being suspended was a bit of an over reaction but it did lead to some polarization that resulted in the setting up of BYM. Obviously for some that void still exists.

BYM does very much capture the spirit that was SB in the early days. Where as SB, as it is now, has a more cautious atmosphere. To me, and this is reflected in "Badgers" original post certain members here are a bit touchy. I have never felt a personal attack at BYM but I have here. I don't ever remember anybody being sniffy about the sailing experience or the right to an opinion of posters here. Though if someone has a personal opinion on a comment made at either site surely thats what we're here for.

I'm not convinced the club like feel of the old SB still exists, but that is not the fault of BYM, it's the fault of the few posters that led to the suspension.

bedouin

Visit site
I think you should re-read this thread...

Although the original poster claimed he wanted "peaceful coexistence" he described the site as "Dictatorial". Since then I have been described as "incestuous", a "fawning lacky", "patronizing", peddling "half truths, bigotry and misinformation" and told that "most of my postings are absurd in the extreme".

This is your opinion of rational discussion?

I am certainly beginning to feel that there is an "Us and Them" here - what I don't understand is what makes me one of "Them". I haven't checked the figures (and I can't from this page) but I would imagine I have been a more regular poster than Badger over the last 12 months...

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: I think you should re-read this thread...

you have 76o odd to badgers 40 odd
altho in fairness. no. of posts is no indication of validity of views.

badger seems, in his celebration of peaceful coexistence, to have opened up old wounds and nearly started all out war. now there's irony.

for what its worth i donot hold with this us and them. and only seems to really rear its ugly head when the posts go off boating. but variety is the spice and some general banter is apreciated, by me at least as i cannot always contribute to the hard core boaty stuff.
chin up.

Come on brain.get this over and i can go back to killing you with beer

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
A post on the other place, concerning levels of fouling on East coast river moorings this last summer, led Marian to chase up paint makers at the Amsterdam boat show, which led to offers of free antifouling paint for next season, for comparison, from two major paint makers. Now I call that pretty good!

G

Re: Clarification, please

So, are you Marian? Or are you one of her "fawning lackies"? Or just paranoid (because the descriptions you quote apply to different people).

But enough of this divisive nonsense...I think it's time for a Scuttlebutt group e-hug.

Bergman

Visit site
Re:Wait a minit

Less regulated

No-one banned

I was refused access to the site not long after it started.

And I am the most inoffensive of men

Presumed I must have said something Marian disagreed with

Never been back since

Bergman

Visit site

Less regulated

No-one banned

I was refused access to the site not long after it started.

And I am the most inoffensive of men

Presumed I must have said something Marian disagreed with

Never been back since

Joe_Cole

Visit site
I tried BYM and quickly lost interest. It just seemed to be swamped by one person and it didn't have much for me. However that's just my opinion and other people enjoy it so I'm happy for them to do so. I'm certainly not going to criticise them for it (unless I'm provoked /forums/images/icons/smile.gif)

I don't think it's worth getting wound up about.

On the question of being a weekend sailor, I've never felt patronized (even by visitors from BYM!). On the contrary, I've learnt a lot from this forum and I've always found that contributors realise that we've got to start somewhere. Anyhow, it's a bit like a television set...there's always the "Off" button.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Do they still have tea with angel cakes in auntys pantry, over there. And is smoking on the site still banned??

<font color=blue>
No one can force me to come here.<font color=red> I'm a volunteer<font color=blue>

Haydn

bedouin

Visit site

Are you saying that you think you've been banned?

That would be very clever indeed since a site that does not require registration would have great trouble banning anyone. (As anyone who remembers the previous incarnation of SB will remember only too well).

I would suggest either that the site was down, or that you had tried to log-on with the wrong password.

Peppermint

Home in Chilterns, Boat in Southampton, Another bo
Visit site
HMMM

Remind me. Who brought this up?

Clearly there is another place people can post. So who cares?

I remember when SB posters didn't post on PBO or YW's site and wouldn't have been caught dead on the Motorboat place.

God knows if the wonder that is YM can encourage us to be nice to motorboaters surely two "sailing" bb's can rub along.

themount2

Visit site
Re: Let\'s have no posts at all, bedouin?

Absolutely right - totally agree!! 2 questions
1. Just how many of you regulars actually know each other "face to face"?
2. Can we please start our posts with "Sailing Based-" so I can work out which ones not to waste my time on.
Just a suggestion and thanks for letting me express my opinion!!
Oh, and Sailbadthesinner - great name by the way- just how much beer is it going to take or has the brain already succumbed!!?

Bergman

Visit site

Think I've been banned.

I tried to post a reply to a thread and recieved a response that said I was not allowed on the site.

What would you call that?

If site was down I could not have read post I was responding to.

bedouin

Visit site

No - I'm afraid that sounds like a bug in one of the early versions of the software. There have been a couple of occasions when trying to post to the site has caused a database error that would sound like that.

BYM is not a commercial site in the sense that YBW is - and doesn't have the professional resources that IPC can muster; it is little wonder that it is not as reliable as SB.