Thefts from boats

Adetheheat

Visit site
Is there a high rate of thefts from boats? I have a modest boat but looking at better boats on the marinas near to me anyone could say go up to the flybridge and steal expensive chart plotters or climb on the roof and steal some antennas, dinghy or even grab an an anchor. I'm thinking of the future if I upgrade to a better boat.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I guess it depends where the boat is based. While theft happens, it is not something that is huge problem, although it may be in some hot spots.

I always remove obvious stuff, like my plotter and place it below, also the outboard. Fixed instruments obviously stay in place. I also remove stuff like the horseshoes and danbuoy but that is more about preserving against UV damage when the boat is not in use.

I keep my boat securely locked, some say it is best not to bother locking as they will do more damage forcing their way in.

jamie N

Visit site
Without any evidence at all, I reckon that most of the thieving scrotes are aware they don't know places to fence the nicked stuff, at a price that's worth it, as well as much of it needing to be reprogrammed once moved. Access is also often not working in favour of the opportunist, marina codes, well lit areas, single points of access etc...
How do they cope with this in Liverpool for example, abusing a well worn cliche of course.

johnalison

Visit site
The usual advice is to secure the boat and its contents, but not so much that a determined thief would do massive damage when forcing an entry.

geem

Visit site
The usual advice is to secure the boat and its contents, but not so much that a determined thief would do massive damage when forcing an entry.
We have a large external set of bars that go over the companion way washboard. The idea being that the opportunist thief will go for the boat that is easier to break in to. Deck hatches have internal bars that can be seen from the outside. It's about as secure as you can make a boat.

Scubadoo

Visit site
It is not something you hear too much about, but it does happen. So best to remove equipment that is easy to remove and lock everything else such as outboard etc, but of course there is a limit and you don't want to spend hours refitting before going out for the day. It is cheap these days to fit a few cameras connected to a mifi router, at least you will get an early warning and can take action e.g. contacting the marina staff, it also doubles up as a way to check your boat remotely e.g. in bad weather.

Bouba

Visit site
In France I had a water bottle stolen from my boat....it caused nearly three grand in damages...which after loss of no claims etc etc I probably ate most of it.
I had a brand new 250 hp Honda stolen...again the insurance company came up short..but the Honda dealer was a champ and honored his word that he would replace it for whatever payout I got.
Anyhow, not just thefts but break ins....people have evenings out in other people’s boats...they take their girlfriends...occasionally they live there...but damage and disgust is always done

DownWest

Visit site
Is there a high rate of thefts from boats? I have a modest boat but looking at better boats on the marinas near to me anyone could say go up to the flybridge and steal expensive chart plotters or climb on the roof and steal some antennas, dinghy or even grab an an anchor. I'm thinking of the future if I upgrade to a better boat.
Doubt that antennas are a likely target, more outboards and other high value items that can be sold easily.

Local problem around here was the big outboards on oyster boats being nicked by east EU gangs to be sold back there. Though that seems to have calmed down a bit.
Other consideration has been 'kids' mucking around with boats moored in isolated spots. Prob not what you plan.

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
I had an auxiliary outboard nicked off my boat in a marina a couple of days before the very first covid lockdown.
Three months later I had the insurance money, bought another and when I went to the marina to fit it, there was my old one back in place. I promptly bought it back from the insurance co, minus depreciation for the scratches and scuffs it had gotten on it’s travels, and spray painted it an unusual colour.
Of course I lost money when I sold the surplus replacement outboard.

I came to the conclusion that somebody had ‘just borrowed it for a day or two’ expecting to get it back before I noticed but got caught out by the lockdown, sneaking it back as soon as they could get out to the marina.

Last edited: