The whole of Studland Bay off limits....

Angele

Visit site
.... only on Tuesday and Wednesday, and only if you feel like complying.

Nope, nothing to do with seahorses.

https://www.phc.co.uk/downloads/notices_mariners/2019-12-RM-Parachuting.pdf

You can save money on a rigging inspection by asking one of the Marines to have a good look on the way down.

Good just they aren't trying to do this over the Easter weekend. I would doubt many would comply with the exclusion request (even if they bothered to look at LTMs).

Blue Sunray

Visit site
.... only on Tuesday and Wednesday, and only if you feel like complying.

Nope, nothing to do with seahorses.

https://www.phc.co.uk/downloads/notices_mariners/2019-12-RM-Parachuting.pdf

You can save money on a rigging inspection by asking one of the Marines to have a good look on the way down.

Good just they aren't trying to do this over the Easter weekend. I would doubt many would comply with the exclusion request (even if they bothered to look at LTMs).

Given that these activities have been going on for over 50 years, RM Poole will be well aware of usage patterns in the area.

Last edited:

zoidberg

Visit site
.......safety boats will be operating to offer advice and information to
anyone who may require it.......

"Move along, please, there's a good sir. We can do this the easy way, or we can do this my way...."

Angele

Visit site
Given that these activities have been going on for over 50 years, RM Poole will be well aware of usage patterns in the area.

Just curious to understand why they choose that particular spot to do it in. Even midweek, Studland will have a few yachts at anchor. Why do they do it there and not somewhere that is not a recognised anchorage? Indeed, could they just do it in areas 2 and 3, neither of which comes close to any anchored boats? Or is area 1 needed so they can swim ashore?

I'm sure there must be a better reason than "that is the way we have done it for the last 50 years".

Seajet

Visit site
I've watched them doing this sort of thing, well worth a round of applause.

From the classic book How To Be A Wally ; ' Having The Bottle ' is defined as strolling into a Para's Mess loudly proclaiming

" I thought Only Fairies Had Wings " :)

Blue Sunray

Visit site
Just curious to understand why they choose that particular spot to do it in. Even midweek, Studland will have a few yachts at anchor. Why do they do it there and not somewhere that is not a recognised anchorage? Indeed, could they just do it in areas 2 and 3, neither of which comes close to any anchored boats? Or is area 1 needed so they can swim ashore?

I'm sure there must be a better reason than "that is the way we have done it for the last 50 years".

Give them a call 01202 202442. I'm sure they'd love to hear why your hobby should take priority.

Last edited:

Angele

Visit site
Give them a call 01202 202442. I'm sure they'd love to hear why your hobby should take priority.

Sorry, but at no point have I suggested that yachts should take priority over the serving military in training. I am GENUINELY curious to understand why there. I should imagine that, 50 years ago, the spot would have seen many fewer boats at anchor than now.

Also, is it genuinely a "voluntary" no-go area (as the Poole HC NTM states) or is it a bit like the Lulworth firing range where they will make it very clear that you really shouldn't be there?

If you know the answers to these questions, there is no need for me to ring them. :)

Last edited:

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk

I was anchored in Lulworth Cove a few yeas back and the tranquillity was broken by a couple of Hercs coming over low. Just outside the cove they kicked some RIBs out followed by parachutists, they swam to the RIBs and zoomed off back to Poole. All very entertaining.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
Sorry, but at no point have I suggested that yachts should take priority over the serving military in training. I am GENUINELY curious to understand why there. I should imagine that, 50 years ago, the spot would have seen many fewer boats at anchor than now.

Also, is it genuinely a "voluntary" no-go area (as the Poole HC NTM states) or is it a bit like the Lulworth firing range where they will make it very clear that you really shouldn't be there?

If you know the answers to these questions, there is no need for me to ring them. :)

We were anchored in Studland last autumn for a couple of nights.

The Chinooks flew over-two of them-dropped the ribs and crews, flew to the nearby cliff meadows where they landed, engines running, marines deployed to guard said Chinooks. Shortly, the guards boarded, Chinooks took off again and picked up the ribs and crews. Very impressive! First mate has the pics to prove it. There were lots of other boats anchored in the Bay, I did have a twitchy moment when a Chinook loaded with Marines, large rib and crew-the rib hanging on a couple of ropes or wires-flew right overhead.

All done very quickly, without fuss, appeared to be the result of lots of practice.

Which, of course, is what they are paid to do.

dom

Visit site
If so, not a very recent one. That last time British troops parachuted into action was during the Suez Crisis, and that didn't work out too well.

Not sure that’s correct but it’s not really a discussion for on here.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Not sure that’s correct but it’s not really a discussion for on here.

I think it's reasonable to ask whether other users of Studland Bay are being asked to avoid it in order to allow something useful to happen. As far as I am aware, parachute attacks have been démodé ever since the Germans around Arnhem discovered that they could point their guns up a bit.

chrishscorp

Visit site
I think it's reasonable to ask whether other users of Studland Bay are being asked to avoid it in order to allow something useful to happen. As far as I am aware, parachute attacks have been démodé ever since the Germans around Arnhem discovered that they could point their guns up a bit.

I think you will find the Paras prefer to keep their feet dry, more likely to be another bunch of gentleman dressed head to foot in black

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
If so, not a very recent one. That last time British troops parachuted into action was during the Suez Crisis, and that didn't work out too well.

I'd be very surprised if certain outfits haven't parachuted into action since then, even if it didn't make the press. Even if they haven't I'd certainly want them to be well practiced just in case...

Blue Sunray

Visit site

Very, very wrong. Even more so as the one of the most recent units to use this method of entry (within the last 10 years) is the the one training here. It's also an essential part of the SPAG toolkit. Not as recently admittedly (but well post Suez) but also used by this chap: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/12023381/Major-Richard-Clifford-obituary.html

Though going in the opposite direction is also fun:

Last edited:

Phildorset

Visit site
I think it's great that they publish the schedule - watching the action on a sunny afternnon is a fun way to spend time in Studland bay, it's impressive to watch, I do remember though that just a few years ago there was a report of a pretty near miss with a parachuted rib and an anchored boat.

Balbas

Visit site
First, Suez was not the last time British airborne forces deployed by parachute. And many more airborne deployments have been considered and then scrubbed. Aside from anything else it keeps the opposition guessing...
Second, it is not just gentlemen from Poole who jump out of aeroplanes over Studland
Third, it is an essential skill to practice for a number of reasons
Fourth, its not really that disruptive to us yachties is it? Consider the ranges which are OOB during firing (parts of Dartmoor etc)

Finally, stepping out of an aeroplane at 155kts carrying your own bodyweight in equipment is an extraordinary experience, which should be encouraged at every opportunity.

dom

Visit site
"Move along, please, there's a good sir. We can do this the easy way, or we can do this my way...."

Nah they'll be ultra-polite as no critical assets involved and exclusion is expressly voluntary. Though always worth remembering that there are young lads and girls on these exercises whose lives may ultimately depend on the integrity of their training.

Hard to imagine anybody would wish to deny them that in order to protect their 'rights'. Which in any cases have historically depended on these same forces.