The upside of lobster and crab pots

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
I have been working my way up the Yorkshire coast - and the whole journey from Spurn to Scarborough has been rank with pots and pot markers

I used to fear them but now that I have an outboard and a very slick hull with a kick up rudder and centre plate they hold no fear for me

I like travelling close to the edge and they pretty effectively mark the 7m contour

I was able to get really close in to Flamborough head on the assumption that if there are pots then it is safe for me and the boat

so.... I love em

still can't eat giant marine spiders and scorpions though

P1080176-300x225.jpg

we also caught a mackeral - which jill ate - can't bare those either

P1080191-300x225.jpg

Last edited:

Tomahawk

Visit site
We have managed to pull two pairs of mackeral..
Took them straight away to the grill.... like only been dead for tem minutes...

The taste of really fresh fish is something different to any other thing you will eeve eat...

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
smell

We have managed to pull two pairs of mackeral..
Took them straight away to the grill.... like only been dead for tem minutes...

The taste of really fresh fish is something different to any other thing you will eeve eat...

it is the smell that lingers

in this case no grill on Katie L

so she boiled the mackeral in sea water

I took the cook box out into the cockpit for the fish to be cooked there

she professed it delicious

I ate cabbage, green beans and pitta bread with reggae reggae sauce

never thought of myself as a fussy eater

seems that I am

now that I am a Northern sailor then perhaps I should develop a taste for tripe and onions

I have my doubts about the tripe

but onions

onions..... yum yum

D

BAtoo

Visit site
I'v eaten many things on my travels & tripe is pretty much at the bottom of the list. In Poland they do "flaczki" which is tripe soup which I've had a few times (one has to be polite....) and on one occasion I almost enjoyed it.!

In Romania they do a tripe soup which is more creamy and quite vile......

flaczki.JPG
The Polish version....

Never had tripe & onions - suspect its a bit like the Romanian soup

rotrax

Visit site
We are the reverse-I love fish and First Mate cant stand it. Caught loads of mackerel this year on the diving plane and spinner, but only one good one. In fact it was the biggest I've caught for years, almost two pounds in weight.

I cooked it on my home made clip on barbie that takes a cheapo disposable. I took the fillets, rubbed in a little olive oil on the flesh side, salt and black pepper and left them untill the charcoal was white. Four minutes skin side and two flesh side and scoffed with bread and butter-lovely!

I'm allowed to do that, but not allowed to cook fish in the Galley as First Mate says it makes the boat smell.

As a child I have eaten Mackerel boiled in a bucket of seawater on the beach at Selsey Bill. They were good too.

ProMariner

Visit site
Other advantages of pot markers: provide good tide indicators, handy to tie up the dinghy to for a spot of fishing, and provide an endless supply of fenders and pick up buoys. Also, great practice sessions for getting stuff unwrapped from the undercarriage of your boat, for the rare occasions it is one of your own warps/anchor lines you have to deal with. I could go on...

BAtoo

Visit site
Had tripe soup when skiing in Austria. It was revolting.

Yes, it mostly is. The only time it wast OK was when the tripe content was very low and the veggie content high and spicy - but even then there was the unmistakeable aroma of the inside of a cow's stomach......

but my hosts were happy I'd ""enjoyed"" it .....

rotrax

Visit site
The Czech's are good at soup- Polevka in their language-and the hot and spicy tripe soup they make is exellent.

My mate ate it when I told him the bits with curly edges were pieces of cauliflower..............................

Applescruffs

Visit site
Mrs Scruffs always complains about the smell of fish when I cook it...(I'm a Pisces...so what does that make me?)....scented candles are lit...windows opened and so much 'tutting' that you thought you were in Egypt...well the British Museum at least.

This is the truth.....

I go to the bottom of Scruffs Meadows.....light my trusty Trangia...or 1930's Primus....and fry kippers or whatever as far from the house as poss.

It happened only this morning.

Me ?.....I love it....s'pecialy on a day like today.

I've no problem with the smell of cooked fish....in fact...if a restaurant doesn't smell of cooking....then it probably doesn't cook.

I can Sympathise with Dylan though...

After many years of fishing from the back of my boats and the association of the smell of using mackeral as bait I was put off for years.....

But properly cooked Mackeral , even raw, (ish), ...is now one of my faves.

its a 'fish eat fish' world out there .

Amulet

www.flickr.com
I seem to recall there's an old nursery rhyme about it. Think it begins:

Jack Fat could eat no sprat
His wife could eat no greens....

anyone remember?

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I have been working my way up the Yorkshire coast - and the whole journey from Spurn to Scarborough has been rank with pots and pot markers

I used to fear them but now that I have an outboard and a very slick hull with a kick up rudder and centre plate they hold no fear for me

I like travelling close to the edge and they pretty effectively mark the 7m contour

I was able to get really close in to Flamborough head on the assumption that if there are pots then it is safe for me and the boat

so.... I love em

Wouldn't work in the Clyde - I've encountered pot markers in well over 50m of water. And you often see them amongst rocks.