The Truth about sailing in The Canaries.

capnsensible

Visit site
Having spent two years in the past and currently coming up for another year in our recent adventures, Ive been fortunate to meet some excellent contacts. These kind people have steered us through the Beaurocratic Maze that makes mainland Spain rather tame by comparison.

I am happy to respond by PM to any queries that I can answer or provide a contact where possible.

Regrettably I am no longer going to publish these links on a public forum. I have discovered that the internet is populated by a tiny minority of despicable people who wish to slander the good name of those contacts and resort to personal threats and insults.

So I am not the font of all Canarian Knowledge but happy to help where I can!

:encouragement:

nortada

Visit site
Having spent two years in the past and currently coming up for another year in our recent adventures, Ive been fortunate to meet some excellent contacts. These kind people have steered us through the Beaurocratic Maze that makes mainland Spain rather tame by comparison.

I am happy to respond by PM to any queries that I can answer or provide a contact where possible.

Regrettably I am no longer going to publish these links on a public forum. I have discovered that the internet is populated by a tiny minority of despicable people who wish to slander the good name of those contacts and resort to personal threats and insults.

Hi Captain,

Nearly 5 years ago I floated The Truth About Sailing On The Algarve. Nearly 400 posts later it is still going strong so I wish you well with your venture.

All I would suggest, rather than you taking on the huge task of using PMs to try to answer all of the questions yourself, let the corporate knowledge of the forum do it for you.

Recently, it was suggested, we petition FAT that, like the East Coast and Bristol Channel, to have regional forums for major sailing areas; particularly overseas with their peculiar problems.

Not sure, I floated http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?482819-Why-is-there-no-Solent-Forum (a bit flippant) to promote discussion in the Lounge but it ended up in Forum News and Feedback and predictably, died the death.

Possibly your initiative resurrects the idea of regional forums.

What do you think❓

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site

Looking forward to reading posting , we keep talking about going for some time , only thing that's kept up back is the lack of good anchorage , as we more of an ancho game then Marina boat .

capnsensible

Visit site
Looking forward to reading posting , we keep talking about going for some time , only thing that's kept up back is the lack of good anchorage , as we more of an ancho game then Marina boat .

There are a few anchorages around but long term on them might not be very comfortable. There was a large motorboat that spent a few months anchored off Playa Blanca near to Rubicon. It did have an 'interesting' motion in strong winds....

Some marinas offer good discounts for longer stays. I know Rubicon offers 60% on 10m berths and 40% on 12m. That includes water, electricity and wifi. Plus for the hardy, an unheated outdoor pool!

The journey back north is reputed to be hard, but Ive done that 4 times and all it needs is a decent weather slot, like anywhere. So its possible to change ones mind and still be only about 6 days from the Med if you dont like it.

Heckler

Visit site
There are a few anchorages around but long term on them might not be very comfortable. There was a large motorboat that spent a few months anchored off Playa Blanca near to Rubicon. It did have an 'interesting' motion in strong winds....

Some marinas offer good discounts for longer stays. I know Rubicon offers 60% on 10m berths and 40% on 12m. That includes water, electricity and wifi. Plus for the hardy, an unheated outdoor pool!

The journey back north is reputed to be hard, but Ive done that 4 times and all it needs is a decent weather slot, like anywhere. So its possible to change ones mind and still be only about 6 days from the Med if you dont like it.

As long as health ok will be joining you mext May! Question, is it dooable then?
Stu

capnsensible

Visit site
As long as health ok will be joining you mext May! Question, is it dooable then?
Stu

Definitely. Worth bringing plenty of extra diesel though unless you fancy a pit stop in Morocco. There are some nice ones!

Will look forward to a cold beer or two!

Last edited:

Cheery

Visit site
Personally I would always ask someone who has done something similar to what I intended to do and what the pitfalls were. People like Capnsensible and Sailaboutvic spring to mind for various parts of the close-by-seas.

capnsensible

Visit site
Do you have enough beer to run for 3 days non stop❓

I wonder what percentage of people drink when they are sailing these days?

Personally, I dont, but am rather partial to an arrival wet or two. This was a pleasant little spot in Nuku Hiva earlier this year!

IMG_0838.jpg

Heckler

Visit site
As a back up, Agadir is probably the best place, full service marina but a bit of a side step.

Bought two yachts down last November, motored an awful lot but was on deadlines.
How far down does the Portuguese trades go? Do we wait for the tail end of an easterly in Gib, haul ass and carry that to past Trafalgar? Then across south of bay of Cadiz and get a northerly?
Stu

capnsensible

Visit site
How far down does the Portuguese trades go? Do we wait for the tail end of an easterly in Gib, haul ass and carry that to past Trafalgar? Then across south of bay of Cadiz and get a northerly?
Stu

First bit, getting out of Straits. I normally cross early, by Tarifa and go out past Tangier and Cabo Spartel. East wind is good! Not essential though. In a westerly, blowiest bit is normally east of Tarifa. Get the tide right and you can still get a bumpy ride out, just takes a bit longer plus less chance of poor viz.

Again I usually stay fairly close in round Spartel but edge away from shore coz there will be a million poorly lit fishing boats. But not so far out to tangle with the shipping lanes. Wind often gets lighter as you get further south. prevailing is from the north plus the south setting Canary Current.

You wont get any weather information once you clear the Straits so a look at your favourite site before you leave does the trick. There is very often a strong wind cell off Essouria, best avoided although on settled days, the port is fascinating. Officials a bit hard work and lock everything up!

As mentioned, Agadir is a reasonable stop if you are burning off bunkers. Good access if you fancy a trip inland.

Last two times Ive stayed a bit offshore and donked whenever speed drops. You will see an effect of tide on SOG but I wouldnt care to guess on flow relative to HW in the Canaries, just that you will see SOG vary by up to 2 knots through a days sailing.

Would say average trip is around 5 days. It should be a nice time around May and you should get a fish or two if you set a trolling line. If you are in no rush then allow a week and you may get a pleasant surprise!

capnsensible

Visit site
Hi Captain,

Nearly 5 years ago I floated The Truth About Sailing On The Algarve. Nearly 400 posts later it is still going strong so I wish you well with your venture.

All I would suggest, rather than you taking on the huge task of using PMs to try to answer all of the questions yourself, let the corporate knowledge of the forum do it for you.

Recently, it was suggested, we petition FAT that, like the East Coast and Bristol Channel, to have regional forums for major sailing areas; particularly overseas with their peculiar problems.

Not sure, I floated http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?482819-Why-is-there-no-Solent-Forum (a bit flippant) to promote discussion in the Lounge but it ended up in Forum News and Feedback and predictably, died the death.

Possibly your initiative resurrects the idea of regional forums.

What do you think❓

Not sure there is enough interest in the Canaries to merit its own forum? But thanks for the comments!

Mee

N/A
Visit site
Presumably directed at me, and my research into dubious business activities.

You're an idiot to keep referencing it, because you are only digging yourself a deeper hole.

I stand by my comments that were deleted, and if you wish to sue me for libel, not slander, then please go ahead. PM me, I will give you my full details

capnsensible

Visit site
Presumably directed at me, and my research into dubious business activities.

You're an idiot to keep referencing it, because you are only digging yourself a deeper hole.

I stand by my comments that were deleted, and if you wish to sue me for libel, not slander, then please go ahead. PM me, I will give you my full details

:rolleyes:

Heckler

Visit site
Another sock puppet! Hiding behind his anonymity. I reckon that the mods should root out the recent joiners with no info in their bio, a dead giveaway. In fact I reckon that it should be mandatory to give bio info to be allowed to join.
Come on Mods, how about it? It would ease the pain of modding, they would be less eager to be a warrior if they knew they were traceable!
Stu

Cheery

Visit site
Mee, I have no idea if you're a Vice Admiral or just a leisure sailor but there are lots of people on here with vast experience of the Med, Transatlantic, Pacific etc. and they have given their tips accordingly. It has also been stated that national rules are interpreted different regionally. Therefore if it is written down that 'xyz occurs in Barcelona' but in Puerto Portals, Juan Miguel says 'Estan non problemo, Senor. Hasta luego' and this is what people are writing on here why is it a major issue for you?

Heckler

Visit site
Mee, I have no idea if you're a Vice Admiral or just a leisure sailor but there are lots of people on here with vast experience of the Med, Transatlantic, Pacific etc. and they have given their tips accordingly. It has also been stated that national rules are interpreted different regionally. Therefore if it is written down that 'xyz occurs in Barcelona' but in Puerto Portals, Juan Miguel says 'Estan non problemo, Senor. Hasta luego' and this is what people are writing on here why is it a major issue for you?
Sock puppet, hasnt got the rognons to put stuff in their bio! Keyboard warrior!
S